New Cannabis laws

scott craven

There is something I don't understand about the new laws.
Prior to legalization there were pot stores everywhere all operating seemingly on the "fringe of legal".
Now that it's legal, there is only one store currently serving the whole province.
Wouldn't it have made more sense to license the stores prior to legalization?
It seems to me the gov't is forcing people to go black market until enough stores
are available to serve the province.

:confused:

I don’t get it either. Especially if Canada post does actually strike on Monday, then there’s no point in ordering from the one store.

I will be buying some seeds for the legal basement grow show.

There is something I don't understand about the new laws.
Prior to legalization there were pot stores everywhere all operating seemingly on the "fringe of legal".
Now that it's legal, there is only one store currently serving the whole province.
Wouldn't it have made more sense to license the stores prior to legalization?
It seems to me the gov't is forcing people to go black market until enough stores
are available to serve the province.

:confused:
if theres one thing the government is good at.... it's screwing up !

I don’t know... with only one Govt store they may just be getting a feel for what the actual market is before handing out licences. Everyone’s going into this blind so I’m sure infos being gathered at every step of the supply chain.

I see there is only about 30 different types of flower available in BC and of those 10 are sold out or are in limited supply, on day 1.you need to show proof of age in person. So you need to go to the post office for pickup. 1 store in BC, 20 in Alberta, 20 in New Brunswick. **** even the Newfies have 24. 5600 orders by noon today. 50% sold out of Flower, and totally sold out of capsules on day one. All this on day one, and they say they didn't see it coming. All they had to do was leave things the way it was and just sit back and collect the taxes. Government doe's not belong in business, they just **** it up doesn't matter what business it is.

I dunno, I don’t think it’s that surprising as whoever really wanted to smoke pot in BC would have already been doing it for years - it’s not exactly hard to get in this province and at a better price than at a govt shop.

Cheers!

Ukee

It is true. Name me a government business that has EVER been better.

I don’t understand why we are so surprised at how the government f’d up again.
Governments are not in business to make money. They just collect taxes, and must spend it all ASAP so they can collect more. All the shops that have been operating for years have been doing just fine, until today.
Stosh

Let's not generalize this. Other provincial governments across the country have been doing better. Look at the number of stores in AB or NS. We simply have an incompetent government in Victoria. Remember the times when Site C and LNG were the worst investment ideas before the election? Guess who approved both of them? Or the time when Horgan authorized $50,000 to sweeten the deal for Amazon to pick Vancouver as their 2nd headquarter? Yes, $50K to lure Amazon!!
I don't want to stray away from the OP's topic but this is not just like any other "government". We have a special one here in this province....

Last edited:
$800 billion company and they sweeten the deal by $50,000 chump change. Lol. Yes, Special as in short bus and hockey helmets.

Our Provincial government has shown their complete incompetence with this issue. How many years to get ready and they seem surprised that people actually want to buy cannabis? One store for the entire province? All the Dispensaries closed down? Shops that have been operating for years raided in Port Alberni? It's ridiculous! Much preferred the old system.

The government will drive it back to the old way very soon. That’s back to the black market.

They only care about the polls and the NDP ridings. Majority governments have historically done a better job with big socio- ecenonic events. Unfortunately, this government is too insecure to develop a strategic view to the opportunities in this new market.

Like the ride hailing and Uber, they’ll make this so hard and complex that illegal players will try to fill the demand. Another lost opportunity for the economy of this province.

I keep looking out the window for Canada Post like a dog waiting for its owner to come home.

I wonder if the postal strike will slow delivery of my first ever purchase...anyhoo, i'm looking forward to giving it a go whenever it does get here.

I dunno, I don’t think it’s that surprising as whoever really wanted to smoke pot in BC would have already been doing it for years - it’s not exactly hard to get in this province and at a better price than at a govt shop.

Cheers!

Ukee

I asked my nephew about this and he says in his town, from friends 28grams (1 oz) cost $100.

Govt web site says $6.99 a gram for their cheapest.

That’s a little over $195 bucks.

Hmmm pretty obvious the black markets going to be happy.

Back