Diesel boat heater

Seems to good to be true. It is cheap enough where if it doesn’t work the way you feel it should you could always replace in a couple years.
I would talk to the guys at Cool It in Abby. When I did a bunch of work to my boat a couple of years ago, I bought a Espar D2 with everything but the tank for around a thousand. Best thing I did, especially right about now with the temps going down. I have a canvas covered helm and I usually run with the back off of it and it still keeps you warm and takes the edge off.

I have bought some cheap eBay and Amazon lightning and other stuff for my boat with no problems.
The only thing about his heater you’re looking at is the seller has only a 72% positive rating over the last 3 months and sells a variety of things, not just heaters. It’s probably got a weird story how it’s come to be.
A portable heater is something that if it goes wrong, could go terribly wrong so I would consider bucking up and get it one locally with warranty and piece of mind.

I also will put in a thumbs up on espar. They are extremely reliable and commercial grade and made in Germany. I use mine to heat the boat while I sleep too. I wouldn't trust China to make my furnace for either my house or my boat, what with the threat of fire, co poisoning and all that.

I also will put in a thumbs up on espar. They are extremely reliable and commercial grade and made in Germany. I use mine to heat the boat while I sleep too. I wouldn't trust China to make my furnace for either my house or my boat, what with the threat of fire, co poisoning and all that.
You can run an espar type heater while inside the boat?

For sure, it runs on diesel though I put kerosene in mine instead as it burns way cleaner and haven't had any issues with it for years. It has such a low current draw that it doesn't hurt the batteries much. Kerosene is double the price but it only burns a cup of fuel an hour at the highest setting though it automatically slows down once the cabin warms up if you have the thermostat control. At the lower settings it's even more fuel and power efficient.

What do you guys run for a fuel tank?
We have webasto and espar at work in the heavy equipment and some of the crew trucks. They both seem quality and have very little issues with them.
i am a dealer for espar heaters and install alot of them

Do you install them on equipment and trucks or just boats?

mostly boats but i have installed one in the cab of a 40 ton crane. i get 3 quart tanks and have the fitting put in them

my boat came with it and the previous owner made a custom aluminum tank for it that fits under the rear helm. you dont need custom though. My tank is about 20 liters, it lasts me months if its just day trips, you can go with a much smaller tank really. My friend put one in his westafalia van and used a gas can with a custom fitting for his. I would just use a small gas tank for boats since it comes with fittings already.

I bought a 3k one, $230 for the kit off eBay. Made a thru hull and off to the races. It works, keeps the cuddy warm and the windshield fog free.

I tore it apart when it arrived and it was surprisingly well built. Very nice casting.

Reactions: NDT
I had a new espar installed in my new boat this year. Best upgrade so far, super warm heat, I didnt install it but it looked simple enough. I run kerosene aswell as most guys as it burns a bit cleaner and smells less, no issues so far, I have the digital thermostat and have had it run all night when I stayed on board the boat.

There is a big chinese heater user group online. Some prople swear by Kerosene (cleaner and makes 10% more heat), some 50/50 diesel/Kero, some a tank of Kero every 4-10 tanks of diesel. That said the consensus is that no matter which fuel used, to reduce carbon build up and extend service you need at least 10 minutes at full heat prior to shut down.

Unless you burn a large amount of fuel a year I think kerosene is much better to use, unless you actually have a diesel powered boat, well then....
The previous owner only burned diesel in my boat's heater for the 6 years he owned it. It had some issues when i bought it, i pumped out the diesel, refilled it with Kero only and have only ran that since. If i stick my finger inside the exhaust pipe (when its cold obviously) it is not possible to get dirt on my finger. it runs that clean! I couldn't believe it until i did it. Of course I only run K-1 from the hardware store jugs since that is all you can find on the island, it is the cleanest grade of kerosene.
I did try to find it bulk but could not find anyone who sold it as such. if anyone knows of a bulk kerosene seller, let me know!

Back