Smoker recommendations

View attachment 40819 I built my own smoker that uses a small bbq propane burner for heat and a pellet burner tray for smoke. When I bought my trays you could get sawdust instead of pellets which apparently is harder to find now. I bought 20lb of it so I'm ok for a while. I can run it with no heat or get it up to 275 if needed. I used 12 old oven racks and made a plywood chest and lined it with stainless. Haven't burnt it down yet even while cooking 40 lbs of ribs on high heat for 5-6 hours. It's 2'x2'x6' tall.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_IvTVBb55D56YR
What temp and how long are you smoking when doing salmon?

What temp and how long are you smoking when doing salmon?
I used to do 90 gradually up to 150 over the entire smoke, that was for candy though. This year I used @Reeltime 's recipe which was 165 the whole time, it was really good but definitely more of a hot smoke texture which was actually more usable in dips and other foods.

i have a little chief in an insulated box and a traeger smoker I bought from costco for around 500.
The traeger is awesome, its basically a wood fired oven that is a little smaller than a standard bbq.
I cook everything on it as it can go from 150-450 degrees. I tried salmon on it this summer and it turned out great. 160 degrees all day long, and I bought a 20 dollar cold smoking tube for extra smoke. For the extra 200 bucks up from a bradley, you can get a traeger that can cook everything from steaks, whole chickens, cakes, cold smoked cheese and smoked salmon.

Oh man! You guys are makin' me hungry with all these great pics.
I've been thinking about building my own, but I already have more projects than I need. Still might end up going that route.

That’s funny, I built an almost identical rig. Mine has windows in the doors and I built a small stove to set beside for cold smoking. I stick the chimney from the little stove in the side of the smokers burn compartment.

I run a little chief as well for quick smokes, I pull the chip pan as soon as they’re black, don’t let them go to ash or they get bitter and acrid. I also have its original box and flipped over and dropped on top of the unit makes a huge difference in cold days.

OH just give me a few more weeks I am having one built its 65 sq feet inside dimensions all SS too....
here is my old one and I use my own alder I cut
10270659_10152798039166084_2007999167247051097_n.jpg

I have had a cedar home built with heat 4' from box and it was great, but needed to do a lot of salmon to make it worthwhile.
Did the Little Chief for years and it was ok, but for doing one or two salmon at a time you can't beat the Bradley.
I also have the cold smoke extension and do both hot and cold.
So my vote goes to Bradley

44570373_10156421071881084_488190206478909440_n.jpg

Well it works just fine did 30 lbs of pepperoni in it and could easy do another 30 no problem....
I'll tell you if it worked just fine. Give me some pepperoni.

You will have to come for a visit now wouldnt you?? LOL.
My meat shop is almost completed a stand alone shop where I can make sausages and pepperoni,smokies,hams,bacon for hunters and farmers.if you need stuff done let me know.

Also have to state way back many years ago Nog on the forum here ,we chatted many a time and shared ideas and recipes etc if it wasnt for him and his tutoring. he helped me a lot so a special thanks is to him.. thanks bud.

Last edited:
Little Chief , 14th year in a row ...cheep and still producing with no complaints ...PS dont wash it out ,just the racks...keep the smoked flavors ...priceless

Attachments

• DSC_0322.JPG
    DSC_0322.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 24
Little Chief , 14th year in a row ...cheep and still producing with no complaints ...PS dont wash it out ,just the racks...keep the smoked flavors ...priceless
Thanks for that advice. This spring, I borrowed a couple of smokers from friends, to try them out. Both were sparkling clean, inside & out. It's great to know it isn't necessary to get them looking new again after every time they're used!
The Little Chief I borrowed must have had a bad element. It produced very little smoke & as soon as the bottom layer was charred, it stopped smoking. I had to tend it regularly, using a small handful of chips at a time. Kinda turned me off the Little Chief.

Thanks for that advice. This spring, I borrowed a couple of smokers from friends, to try them out. Both were sparkling clean, inside & out. It's great to know it isn't necessary to get them looking new again after every time they're used!
The Little Chief I borrowed must have had a bad element. It produced very little smoke & as soon as the bottom layer was charred, it stopped smoking. I had to tend it regularly, using a small handful of chips at a time. Kinda turned me off the Little Chief.
No it's working just fine, i've had my chief for 20 years + it will smoke for the first little while then stop, i let it burn down to half then
change the pan to some new chips, it doesn't smoke a huge amount, your still getting good smoke flavour from
it just smouldering, i've cut it down to 2 pans as 3 pans i find is to smoky in flavour, leave the last pan till smoking
is done.

The raw wood smokes then the chard black wood starts to smoulder.

No it's working just fine, i've had my chief for 20 years + it will smoke for the first little while then stop, i let it burn down to half then
change the pan to some new chips, it doesn't smoke a huge amount, your still getting good smoke flavour from
it just smouldering, i've cut it down to 2 pans as 3 pans i find is to smoky in flavour, leave the last pan till smoking
is done.

The raw wood smokes then the chard black wood starts to smoulder.
My little chief burns all the chips and I mound it up and the pan gets so hot there is no way u can touch it ,lots and lots of smoke once it get going .. had the smoker for years like I said and only problem had to buy two new pans so far ...weird
I smoke all winter and it still burns up the chips , what kind of chips u using ???
I only use little chief chips ,the others are like chunks of logs and never did work well

Well, huh! Now I'm all confused again ;-)
I think I'll order a new element for my buddy's rig & keep it here. He offered it to me 'cause he doesn't use it anymore.
Save myself a few bucks!
I'm gonna win the Bradley in the net pen raffle anyway.

Back