We were in the same area off the bluffs again this morning and it took until about 10am before we started to hit fish. Ended up with 4 wild and let one go. Biggest 12 pounds..one came at 115 ft the others all at 135 ft in 400ft of water.

Some lucky duck got himself a 43 pound spring today in 600 feet of water off Race. 90 ft down on a coho killer.
Just goes to show....ya never know!

I put in the afternoon/sunset shift off Beechy/Trap in all depths with only a shaker and a massive tangle / lost gear to show for it (@Stizzla, I'm going to need another hoochie from you ;) ).
That's it for Sooke this year for me. Back to Sidney to fill up the dance card with winter springs!

End the day at 6:30. When trolling back to marina got 1 wild and 1 hatch ho. Both on anchovies one at 55’ and another at 125’.

Only 12 left on your dance card, hey? I have 13.
Drunkest post yet... just finished the UFC fight. Crazy!
@RogersonCrusoe I have more hoochies just where you left them.
I was hoping you were the lucky winner of the 43 pounder!

Last edited:
Fished hard with my dad yesterday from 7-2 with a couple hundred other boats for a humble skunking other than a bunch of shakers.

Today was the complete opposite. We took my boys(5 and 7) out from 11-2 with only a handful of boats. The boys played the first two fish; a double header of 9 and 8lb wild and hatch cohos. They landed both with us only helping with the netting( proud dad moment). We had another double and a few singles. Finished with 5 coho in the box released a couple shakers and lost a couple more coho. What a difference a day makes! Worked a 1nm zone today off bluffs vs a wide range yesterday. 400-450 water. 100-150 on rigger with 3” herring spoons.

Thanks @profisher for the great reporting!

Did my last trip for the season on Monday afternoon. Just to get the engines running once more before winterizing the boat.
I fished straight out of harbor mouth between 400 and 500' of water from 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM. After 30 min I got a nice 8lbs wild coho on a small spoon down at 135'. I kept fishing with the intent to call it a day if the next coho is another wild one. So at 4:30 PM finally I got a second hit at 71' on a coho killer and yes it was another 8 lbs wild coho I had to release.
Was a nice calm foggy day with some rain. Just perfect to finish my salmon season.
I noticed quite a lot of salmon finning on the surface. Are these all cohos? Did someone try catching them with a spin-casting rod? Back at the boat launch a fellow fisher mentioned that these could be a late sockeye run. Has anyone any insides here?

Did my last trip for the season on Monday afternoon. Just to get the engines running once more before winterizing the boat.
I fished straight out of harbor mouth between 400 and 500' of water from 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM. After 30 min I got a nice 8lbs wild coho on a small spoon down at 135'. I kept fishing with the intent to call it a day if the next coho is another wild one. So at 4:30 PM finally I got a second hit at 71' on a coho killer and yes it was another 8 lbs wild coho I had to release.
Was a nice calm foggy day with some rain. Just perfect to finish my salmon season.
I noticed quite a lot of salmon finning on the surface. Are these all cohos? Did someone try catching them with a spin-casting rod? Back at the boat launch a fellow fisher mentioned that these could be a late sockeye run. Has anyone any insides here?
Probably all cohos

Nope they will be Chum schools, see them every fall at this time. Sea lions will be seen tearing them apart on the surface too.

Fished in calm summer like conditions today from 8:00am until 2:00pm.

Like Andrew P a few posts back we did the “Profisher thing” off the bluffs in 350’-450’ of water and deep. Unlike Andrew (who used his AP herring spoons) and unlike Profisher who uses anchovies I think, we put our own variation on it by using the little herrings I like so much. One at 125’ and one at 135’. For 90 minutes nothing happened then Bang! ..Bang! both rods went off within 10 seconds of each other. Remarkably we got both fish into the boat. The one that hit first was a beauty male of 12lbs. :DThe other was more our usual size at 7lbs. Both unclipped.

Kept at it in the hope of finding a hatchery but that just proved how lucky the double header was. We got one more fish to the boat 2 hours later but unclipped so back he went O.K. Had one long distance release 2 hours later and that was it.

Definitely slow overall but I am happy with the double header and a Fall sun tan!!:)

Going to give it one more go tomorrow while the weather holds like this and then pack the boat and gear up and wait for winter chinook reports on here before heading out once more.;)

Definitely scratchy out there. There's fish but a bit of a grind. It's slow out there though. Talked to some folks and they got their fish up at 50'. We got ours at 90 & 77. Others were getting them down at 125'+. Bait produced nothing today. Stomachs had a full herring in it, and small needlefish. Safe to say they could be anywhere and eating anything.

Did another trip out today. Fished 8:00am until 1:00pm in the sun.

Tried the same tactics as yesterday but nothing, despite covering the water off the bluffs from 300’ out to 450’ several times.

When wind dropped to zero around 11:00am we headed waaaay out to 560’ of water and finally got a hit at 77’ on a vintage Mcknight spoon that someone on here very generously sent me to replace my sadly lost Krippled K.

Unfortunately, as we got it close to the boat it gave the usual thrash and twist and the split ring between the lure and hook broke. :( I had checked it out before putting it down and it seemed OK but I had the same problem on some hootchies earlier this year. Split rings do not stand the coho spin and thrash tactics. On the hootchie I removed the split ring to the hook and went direct tie. On these lures I am going to have to go with a small clip.

Anyway that was it for the day. Take a break now and sort all my tackle out ready for December/January!!;)

Did another trip out today. Fished 8:00am until 1:00pm in the sun.

Tried the same tactics as yesterday but nothing, despite covering the water off the bluffs from 300’ out to 450’ several times.

When wind dropped to zero around 11:00am we headed waaaay out to 560’ of water and finally got a hit at 77’ on a vintage Mcknight spoon that someone on here very generously sent me to replace my sadly lost Krippled K.

Unfortunately, as we got it close to the boat it gave the usual thrash and twist and the split ring between the lure and hook broke. :( I had checked it out before putting it down and it seemed OK but I had the same problem on some hootchies earlier this year. Split rings do not stand the coho spin and thrash tactics. On the hootchie I removed the split ring to the hook and went direct tie. On these lures I am going to have to go with a small clip.

Anyway that was it for the day. Take a break now and sort all my tackle out ready for December/January!!;)
Sorry about that Englishman,Never trust a thirty year old spoon ring, New stainless split rings should fix that.

afternoon shift out of Becher from 1 -5 without a bite. Tried bait spoons hootchy at various depths to 150'. Out to tide lines at 600' and back into Church area. At the dock two boats had 1 fish each.

Just came back from 4 days of trolling around Sooke for Coho..... I have to say.. in the last 9 years of fishing for Coho there... this was the slowest ever. I have always waited for the Oct 1 opening of the wilds... but I think I will have to revisit that decision and go a bit earlier.
We did have fantastic seas for the four days.... saw both Killer and Humpback whales.... huge pods of porpoises (dolphins?), and saw massive amounts of what appeared to be Chum boiling on the surface.... but had real trouble getting Coho to bite.
Trolled thru schools of fish anywhere from 30 to 150 feet deep. Trolled different speeds, different depths, different flashers, Anchovies, Herring, spoons, and hootchies.... all to no avail.
Trolled against the tides, with the tides, fished the ebb tide, the flood tide... and slack tides.... fished from as shallow as 45 feet... all the way out to 600. Travelled all the way from Race Passage... down as far as Sheringham....
Fished from before light... till dark. Lots of hours... only a few filets to show.
It is called fishing.... not catching... but thought a report would be good.
We will be back....
Have a great winter out there to all those Sooke residents!
Till next year!
RJ

There's a line in the Jack Gaunt Hootchies and Bucktails book that says a DFO or Wash. State study showed that catch rates for finicky late season cohoes went up when the hoochie is draped over a piece of bait. I wouldn't know, my boat is always in storage in the fall.

If you look at renfrew it is the same. They either are late or not coming. This time of year it shouldn't be this slow. Lets just hope returns are good this year.

No need to use split rings on a hooch. Siwash hook to a bead chain swivel works great
Still raises the problem of how do you attach the hook to the bead chain? My problem this year with the hootchie was on an old set up I had not modified. Back when I did not know anything (many say I still don't! LOL) I experimented with swivels and split rings to space the hook where I wanted it in the hootchie legs. As described split rings are a disaster. Now I use plastic beads. Lots of advantages. Much lighter than bead chain; you can put any number on the line above the directly tied hook to get the hook to be where you want it to be in the hootchie legs; you can use different colours or glow beads if you wish; latter look cool inside those transparent hootchies.

Last edited:
Back