nice Coho from Sooke today....for those with status.
"This was caught by someone who is allowed to keep... Just to clear up any arguments hahha"
so the posting said which I share without comment or prejudice.
View attachment 40623

Man what was the weight of that frigging hog? Those trotac bags are pretty fricking big

I have been on the phone for about the last half hour trying to get the correct info on the coho regs. After being given the run around by several d.f.o members giving me several phone numbers to try and talking to some one in ottowa who didn't know what I was talking about I finally talked to a fisheries guy in Nanimo who looked up the information on his computer . He concluded that fisheries are contradicting their own regs. one states no retention of wild coho till dec. 2018 and the other says 1 wild as of Oct. 1 2018.... So who knows It seems they don't ……..C.A.
went out on Wednesday to try for some Coho. ran through the usual favorites, white hootchie and a variety of spoons.
finally put on a purple hootchie on one side and a AP herring spoon on the other. double header with an 18lb spring on the hootchie and 26lber on the AP spoon. An hour later a 28lb spring on the AP spoon and no Coho!

went out on Wednesday to try for some Coho. ran through the usual favorites, white hootchie and a variety of spoons.
finally put on a purple hootchie on one side and a AP herring spoon on the other. double header with an 18lb spring on the hootchie and 26lber on the AP spoon. An hour later a 28lb spring on the AP spoon and no Coho!
Wow! Wow! And Wow!!

Great haul, what leader lengths were you using and what is typical for this time of year - amazing catch out there Spoiler!

Great haul, what leader lengths were you using and what is typical for this time of year - amazing catch out there Spoiler!
about 38" on the purple hootchie and about 5' on the spoons. Typically when we are fishing Coho it's shorter leaders like 3-4'. If they are not too big and are hatchery we don't bother with the net and just grab the leader and haul them aboard!
It's a lot easier with a short leader.

about 38" on the purple hootchie and about 5' on the spoons. Typically when we are fishing Coho it's shorter leaders like 3-4'. If they are not too big and are hatchery we don't bother with the net and just grab the leader and haul them aboard!
both big Springs were caught at 47' and the smaller one at 110'.

Thanks Spoiler - tight lines - hope the coho stay around for a while in October too!

If you are doubting it I have taken a few up to 45 pounds as late as Oct 3rd. This includes a couple of 38's in very late Sept as well. all while fishing for Coho off the Sooke Bluffs. The largest Sooke spring in recent times went 67.12 pounds and was taken at the Trap on Sept 29th. Obviously the 2 larger ones he caught were in a small school as they came from the same depth in the same area.

If you are doubting it I have taken a few up to 45 pounds as late as Oct 3rd. This includes a couple of 38's in very late Sept as well. all while fishing for Coho off the Sooke Bluffs. The largest Sooke spring in recent times went 67.12 pounds and was taken at the Trap on Sept 29th. Obviously the 2 larger ones he caught were in a small school as they came from the same depth in the same area.
I wouldn’t say he’s doubting it. He just wanted to see some fish ****!

Last edited:
interestingly enough the smaller fish was a marble the 26 was a white and the biggest one was a red with a little bit of colour to it, so we figured it was either a Sooke River fish or net pen

Tried fishing the ebb today, timelines and in. Only two hits, both at 85 and both on bloody nose with 10 pack. Nothing on hootch or spoon. Trying the flood tomorrow.

Back