This is the **** that drives me crazy, DFO Themselves doesn't even know what's going on. Why is it, that it is made so confusing to find the information. I use the FishingBC app on my phone and hope for the best. Lol

Good day on the water today,,,, 7:30 to 4.
5 minutes after lines hit the water my buddy landed a 11-lb chinook just out from the mouth of Beecher bay, 150 ft of water 80ft on DR. Spent most of the day in 450ft out from the trap shack area. We doubled up 3 times but only got 1 hatch coho out of it, the rest were wild cohos. Managed 2 more hatch coho later and released other wilds. (Hatchery coho's were 2 x 6lbs and 1 at 11 lbs.) Majority of fish caught between 80-100ft on DR. Multiple colours of coho killers worked for us today and only 1 caught on anchovies.

Good day on the water today,,,, 7:30 to 4.
5 minutes after lines hit the water my buddy landed a 11-lb chinook just out from the mouth of Beecher bay, 150 ft of water 80ft on DR. Spent most of the day in 450ft out from the trap shack area. We doubled up 3 times but only got 1 hatch coho out of it, the rest were wild cohos. Managed 2 more hatch coho later and released other wilds. (Hatchery coho's were 2 x 6lbs and 1 at 11 lbs.) Majority of fish caught between 80-100ft on DR. Multiple colours of coho killers worked for us today and only 1 caught on anchovies.
Nice Newf! 11lb hatchery is a beauty!

Well back from another long trip to Sooke and back.Put in at Cheanna and ran out to the third tideline in about 550 ft. of water.Didn't take long to find some fish and caught and released 4 or 5 wilds in the next hour or so with a couple of beauties in the
12 lb. plus range.The rest of the morning was sporatic with a bite here a bite there till the tide switched and the wind picked up from the southeast which made it a little uncomfortable for awhile till we trolled in tight off the Trapshack to get out of the "lump"
The sounder looked real good so we took a few passes but only managed one small bleeder spring about 5 lbs which we kept.Overall not as good as the last trip but always enjoyable.The chatter on 68 sounded like the guys that stuck it out in the deep water were doing very well for wild but scratching for the hatch jobs.We ended up with 1 hatchery about 6 lbs and a small spring for our efforts but probably threw back 8 wilds.Needlefish hoochies were the hot lure today for us in 60 to 90 ft. of water.

Hoping to hear the Coho are still around in the next 10 days... making my last trip out for the year for the week starting Oct 5th... looks like Wild will be open.. anyone know if it is worth the time to enter the Coho Derby for that day? Never been in one.... thinking we should try it out.
Thanks!

Went out of Cheanuh this morning 6:30 to 10:30. Went straight to the head and right away had one on but when shut down my kicker my boat got spun around with the current ( the wrong way) and it tangled around my other line That was that. She gone!

Then an hour later out at the third tide line straight out from trap shack had a nice size coho. In the teens for sure but wild so released it at the side of the boat. Nothing else for me. Saw a few other boats with fish on but most likely wild cause didn’t see any nets out.

Both were on coho killers at 60’.

Went out of Cheanuh this morning 6:30 to 10:30. Went straight to the head and right away had one on but when shut down my kicker my boat got spun around with the current ( the wrong way) and it tangled around my other line That was that. She gone!

Then an hour later out at the third tide line straight out from trap shack had a nice size coho. In the teens for sure but wild so released it at the side of the boat. Nothing else for me. Saw a few other boats with fish on but most likely wild cause didn’t see any nets out.

Both were on coho killers at 60’.
I'm sure many others have their methods of dealing with fish, but I never shut my Kicker down just for that reason. Only time it goes into neutral (or off) are for double headers and for packing up :)

And my fellow passengers have to fight the fish at coho speeds for the first few seconds while I hope the second rod gets a fish. Then, if I'm in a good mood, the speed is reduced ;)

I'm sure many others have their methods of dealing with fish, but I never shut my Kicker down just for that reason. Only time it goes into neutral (or off) are for double headers and for packing up :)

And my fellow passengers have to fight the fish at coho speeds for the first few seconds while I hope the second rod gets a fish. Then, if I'm in a good mood, the speed is reduced ;)
Sounds like you’re a tyrant out there! Maybe I should reconsider going with you next week.

Hoping to hear the Coho are still around in the next 10 days... making my last trip out for the year for the week starting Oct 5th... looks like Wild will be open.. anyone know if it is worth the time to enter the Coho Derby for that day? Never been in one.... thinking we should try it out.
Thanks!

In the past we have had success with catching coho until 4th week of October. My buddy landed a few coho in November before. It should be good in early October.

Kicker is always kept in gear for me while fishing coho as there is seldom time to get all the lines out before the fish is ready to be netted or released. I just slow it down so the fish can be played and controlled. I do move gear around to give as big a space as possible to bring the fish to the boat. Shift rods over and swing downriggers completely forward so the entire side of the boat is clear.

I’ll try keeping it going next time but slow Not coho pace lol. I was solo today and my boat likes to drive in circles if you’re don’t keep a hand on the wheel at all times. Was finding it hard to steer the boat and play the fish at the same time so I just started shutting it down. This is the first time I had a line cross. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I’ve had circling problem before if there is weight shift between port/starboard. And kids have problem controlling kicker. So we either have to start main motor or I have to control kicker and play with fish at the same time. On calm seas it’s a waltz but on days where there’s chops it soon becomes a ‘tangle’.

So recently I’ve added a Raymatine ST1000 tiller autopilot to my kicker and it worked great!!

Late start today and lines in by 9:00am. Trolled for 2 hours in the increasing wind out to 550’ of water and back without a single touch. Tried depths from 60-130’ with herring, hootchies and a spoon.

At the end of this time, waves were getting really nasty. Short, closely spaced chop of 2-4’ waves and wind now above BWD prediction at 7:00am this morning. When trolling speed against wind and waves was only 0.2K and really hard to steer, pulled the gear at 11:15am but only partly, to get the main engine on and try and get to calmer waters in the harbour mouth. In the confusion, left a cannon ball in the water and so that departed as we smashed our way through the spray. Got everything sorted finally and headed in as others were headed out. Looks nice in the harbour but very deceptive!

Back at the ranch BWD had some 15K ESE winds showing on the latest update which was not there earlier. Probably wasted our time anyway, since some folks say East wind mean fish won’t bite anyway. They certainly did not for us! :(

7:30 to 2pm for us today. Released a nice wild coho, 10+ and lost one. 120ft on the DR but with the angle of the dangle, the ball was probably only down 80ft. Had a few shakers and that was it. Both fish on coho killers. Tried bait and hoochies but no takers. Had a different guy with me today so he gets the blame for lack of fish. :)

nice Coho from Sooke today....for those with status.
"This was caught by someone who is allowed to keep... Just to clear up any arguments hahha"
so the posting said which I share without comment or prejudice.
wild coho.jpg

Late start today and lines in by 9:00am. Trolled for 2 hours in the increasing wind out to 550’ of water and back without a single touch. Tried depths from 60-130’ with herring, hootchies and a spoon.

At the end of this time, waves were getting really nasty. Short, closely spaced chop of 2-4’ waves and wind now above BWD prediction at 7:00am this morning. When trolling speed against wind and waves was only 0.2K and really hard to steer, pulled the gear at 11:15am but only partly, to get the main engine on and try and get to calmer waters in the harbour mouth. In the confusion, left a cannon ball in the water and so that departed as we smashed our way through the spray. Got everything sorted finally and headed in as others were headed out. Looks nice in the harbour but very deceptive!

Back at the ranch BWD had some 15K ESE winds showing on the latest update which was not there earlier. Probably wasted our time anyway, since some folks say East wind mean fish won’t bite anyway. They certainly did not for us! :(
I have been checking Big WD and the Marine Weather forecast from Environment Canada for my weekly fishing trips this summer; BWD was wrong for my times 5 times out of 5; Environment Canada turned out to be much more reliable (I fish from Otter to Becher). My biggest concern is being out there on a big ebb with a strong or building westerly, that is what I want to be warned about, especially when heading out into deep water to find the Coho.

Was out for two trips today and the afternoon was better than the morning. We kept one hatch this morning and released 3 wild and had 2-3 other hits...quite slow. In the afternoon we kept a 10 pound hatchery spring, released 6 wild coho and had another 5-6 come off the riggers but not stick. 50-95 ft for us...all bait.

Combat fishing today in ugly conditions for my 16' boat. Was almost glad we didn't get anything because it would have been a challenge to try and play/net a fish. Went straight out from the harbour at 8;00. Wind and tide ended up by trailer park and had to plow back thru slop back to east side of Secretary where it was actually reasonably calm, but some result, not a bite all day. Bait, spoons, hootchies 50 to 100'. finally gave up at 2pm.

I have been checking Big WD and the Marine Weather forecast from Environment Canada for my weekly fishing trips this summer; BWD was wrong for my times 5 times out of 5; Environment Canada turned out to be much more reliable (I fish from Otter to Becher). My biggest concern is being out there on a big ebb with a strong or building westerly, that is what I want to be warned about, especially when heading out into deep water to find the Coho.

That area is all about the currents. Just because it say 5 knot wind if you have strong current going opposite way it will stack up.

Try this https://embed.windy.com/

Back