Winter Harbour Tuna Run September 2018

Back at the dock it was smiles all around. Another run in the books! We shared stories and our perspectives on the day over some food (After-hours killer smoked octopus) and some beverages. I want to say thank you to my crew and our buddy boats for all working together and making the day memorable in the best sense of the word! I also want to acknowledge the other sportys that all contributed over the day with intel on position and tackle specs on bites. Hook up Hot Reels and Island Dreamer we appreciate your presence out there and the intel that you selflessly shared with the group!high grade.JPGdock shot.JPG Greenhorns keeper.JPG

Last edited:
Excellent post, well written, great pics what a story.

Thank you very much smiley and the rest of the group. Well done fisherpeople's

There was more than sportys in the mix over the day. No big deal on a calm day with unlimited visibility. However on a foggy day or a day with weather and limited visibility its another story. I feel that unless you are equipped with radar you shouldn't really be doing these kinds of runs offshore. Simply put GPS doesn't tell you what traffic is in your tack or path. View attachment 40550View attachment 40551
There was more than sportys in the mix over the day. No big deal on a calm day with unlimited visibility. However on a foggy day or a day with weather and limited visibility its another story. I feel that unless you are equipped with radar you shouldn't really be doing these kinds of runs offshore. Simply put GPS doesn't tell you what traffic is in your tack or path. View attachment 40550View attachment 40551

Thanks for the picture that the one..I seen the camera come out as we went bye....The picture you took of the commerial tuna Troller ( Prestige 11) is a buddy I went to high school with he lives just down the road from me here in Port McNeill

Back at the dock it was smiles all around. Another run in the books! We shared stories and our perspectives on the day over some food (After-hours killer smoked octopus) and some beverages. I want to say thank you to my crew and our buddy boats for all working together and making the day memorable in the best sense of the word! I also want to acknowledge the other sportys that all contributed over the day with intel on position and tackle specs on bites. Hook up Hot Reels and Island Dreamer we appreciate your presence out there and the intel that you selflessly shared with the group!View attachment 40556View attachment 40557 View attachment 40558
Well done on the start to finish report Thomas! I don’t think any one of us could have described the adventure any better! Always a great trip together hunting those allusive long fins! You are a great captain, and looking forward to the next one!!

Gah, that blue must have been painful to bring in, especially foul hooked. Thanks for the detailed report again this year and I'm glad you guys were able to get out on some great water and add some tuna to the freezer. I can hear Stick Figure playing in the background as I was looking at the pics!

Great write up and pictures Smiley! Hopefully more tuna next year, but there were some really nice grade tuna in the mix.
As bad as a blue shark is to snag, a week before we snagged a 150 lb. Sunfish, you wouldn't think it but those things can actually peel some line. It took us down to a few wraps a couple of times under maximum pressure, needless to say, a bit of a dissapointment once we got it to the boat.
Great fishing with all of you, we will have a large spread of boats next year to find them!

Great write up and pictures Smiley! Hopefully more tuna next year, but there were some really nice grade tuna in the mix.
As bad as a blue shark is to snag, a week before we snagged a 150 lb. Sunfish, you wouldn't think it but those things can actually peel some line. It took us down to a few wraps a couple of times under maximum pressure, needless to say, a bit of a dissapointment once we got it to the boat.
Great fishing with all of you, we will have a large spread of boats next year to find them!
Always a great trip out with good buddy boats! Great meeting you this season Bob! We are booked again at winter harbour cottages August 30th through September 7th next year, looking forward to ( Hooking Up) with you again! As well as The Bevrle, and anyone else that wants to join the fleet!

Glad we got to fish together as well Layne, looking forward to more tuna next year. If you end up coming up and you are going to return again,you can leave your boat at my house, in my boat shed rather than haul it back to Vernon. I hear the jig boats are working only 25 miles out from Kaines right now. It's killing me but the boat is winterized now.

Glad we got to fish together as well Layne, looking forward to more tuna next year. If you end up coming up and you are going to return again,you can leave your boat at my house, in my boat shed rather than haul it back to Vernon. I hear the jig boats are working only 25 miles out from Kaines right now. It's killing me but the boat is winterized now.
Very Generous of you Bob, thank you very much for the offer! We shall see what 2019 brings.

Great write up. This was my first year tuna fishing. Had a blast. Love reading these stories of great days far off shore chasing tuna. Was a great experience for us flat landers from Alberta. Already excited for next year.
Jim

Awesome report Smiley, well done, thanks for sharing. What an adventure, sounds like the trips we all lay in bed thinking about. Looking forward to next years report!

Back