2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

A work buddy of mine was on a charter yesterday afternoon. They got into a bunch of feeder springs on Constance bank using blue chrome weegees bouncing bottom. Here is a pic he sent me:

Attachments

• AD52D6EA-A0D8-4197-9C36-48A792062125.jpeg
    AD52D6EA-A0D8-4197-9C36-48A792062125.jpeg
    461.3 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Out to Constance for the afternoon bite... well afternoon sun as not much action for us or any of the other few boats. Got a few small lings and some shakers and 1 big fat rock cod but that was it. Maybe should have stayed in off the breakwater, was still a summery day so all good.

10-4 shift, started off waterfront, then to Constance for 3 hours then back to waterfront. Not a single bite and didn't see anything caught.

Shhhhhh :)

I did indeed!!! Thanks in part to many kind folks on this forum including @tinboatrobb @Kildonan and @islanderguy.

:) :):):):)

Got this 5lber on the flats Sunday morning around 9am on a herring aide coho killer on bottom! I was so excited I ended up getting a line caught in the prop trying to set the lines right after. :(

I was slightly embarrassed to mention it here because it’s my first keeper of the season!

Attachments

• 977B5761-DBAE-4FBE-9626-D9F68E6DA908.jpeg
    977B5761-DBAE-4FBE-9626-D9F68E6DA908.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Shhhhhh :)

I did indeed!!! Thanks in part to many kind folks on this forum including @tinboatrobb @Kildonan and @Wheels.

:) :):):):)

Got this 5lber on the flats Sunday morning around 9am on a herring aide coho killer on bottom! I was so excited I ended up getting a line caught in the prop trying to set the lines right after. :(

I was slightly embarrassed to mention it here because it’s my first keeper of the season!
Nice one! Congrats!

Watch out for those commercial traps off Victoria harbour mouth west side. Hooked one today with both lines. Got balls back but lost both flashers and teaser heads. Owner showed up a little later and I told him what happened. He pulled the float and returned my gear and another flasher...I was very lucky. I was sure I had given it a wide berth... Released one under size spring and left when the wind came up.

Recent notice from DFO:

Subject: FN1077-General Information - All Areas - Crab Multi-Sectoral Meeting - October 19, 2018

The annual Crab multi-sectoral committee meeting is being held October 19, 2018
at 9:00 a.m. at the Coast Bastion Hotel in Nanaimo. All representatives that
have been previously identified by the Department are invited to attend.

The Crab Sectoral Committee provides a forum for the exchange of information
and views from all users and Fisheries and Oceans Canada on cross-sectoral
issues important to the conservation and management of the fishery.

The Sectoral Committee has the following goals:

Allow the exchange of information between representatives and Fisheries &
Oceans.

•Advise on the development of annual Management Plans for the fishery.
•Advise on the development of long-term management strategies for the fishery.
•Provide information and advice regarding stock assessment and biological
research for the fishery.
•Recommend representatives to other advisory bodies, as required.​

SFAB has, I believe, members on this committee. Perhaps express your concern on this issue to an SFAB director, and suggest this information be "exchanged" at the upcoming meeting?

Elwha river fish I've been told. I had a few on the hook off Mcaulay with Chero on Wed eve. Thanks for a great night. Paguy that's a dream day there ! well done.
I'll leave these salmon alone for a bit and chase some fish out of Lahina

Attachments

• IMG_1736.JPEG
    IMG_1736.JPEG
    228 KB · Views: 98
Back