I have a mental picture of my father in law also playing a fish with his pants down as I recall he landed it.
Tsquared what happens October 1 ? I had hoped that the regulations were changing but after checking I guess not We were out Wednesday and got one hatch and lots of fun with a couple of wild teenagers.
Usually you are able to keep 1 wild coho as of October 1st but I have not checked the regs or this year.

Thanks great news to me as I am just getting back to Ocean fishing in my retirement. How long are Coho around in Sooke?
The coho can thin out considerably in early October some years. In other years good numbers are still present until mid-November. It depends on overall numbers around (looks good so far this year) and the amount of rain(s) we get in the next month or so.
...Rob

Straight out from Beecher yesterday, 7am-2pm. 350-500ft. Only one keeper hatchery coho, caught at 120ft on DR. Released 4 wilds 7-8lb range,,100-130-ft on DR. Couple of small springs released. All caught on coho killers as chovies were not working for us today. We had no hits in the 60-80ft range. My buddy counted 15 shakers that he released. It was funny watching him spend so much time on the rod. Beautiful day on the water.

Did a sunrise shift with @Gham in his beautiful fishing machine this morning. Went way out searching coho and hit a beauty hatch pretty quick. A couple more hits they didn’t stick then a nice wild released. That was about it for the morning. Stacked 4 rods but it was always the herring aid glow flasher and Herring aid coho killer getting the action.
Heard radio chatter of a grey whale and some big wilds released. Hopefully some good pictures come in. Here’s mine:
E9F2895B-E7D2-45C4-80AF-07C4DD7A8DED.png

I did the 11-2:30 shift today and I don't think it was my day at all. Backed the truck into the ramp and almost shredded the tire. Off to a good start.

Started out in the tide rip/huge swells off the head. Decided to turn back towards the bay and ran into a kelp island (copilot was not paying attention either).

No forward progress was being made so motored out into the deep to find flat calm seas. Motor wouldn't get enough speed to plane, sounded unwell.

One hit that didn't stick.
An hour later, another hit that wouldn't stick.
Tensioner on downrigger gave way.
Shaker to end the day.

Had a good day with the wife and kids in Sooke.
Fished from 10-2, landed a high teen white spring, another feeder spring and a hatchery coho. Released 4 wilds and had another half dozen hits.
Sunny, warm and flat!

Bonus late spring! Were You in or around the bay? Because out in the open ocean it was very lumpy.

Bonus late spring! Were You in or around the bay? Because out in the open ocean it was very lumpy.

Straight out from Secretary Island, flat calm with a slight swell. The spring was a great surprise, hit the coho killer like a freight train!
Cheers

Late start today waiting for wife to get ready. Sunscreen this and that finally on our way around 12:00 noon. Plan was to be on water at 10:00 am. :confused:

Line in at 12:35 same as usual two anchovies (stinger worked great!!) and two spoons.

No hatchery today. 4 wilds to the boat quick release and numerous that popped the hook.

Hit the water today about 2pm straight out of the harbour about 500ft. Constant action for 3 hours until we got our 6 hatchery. Couldn’t ask for better weather. Fish hitting anywhere from 100ft to 50ft on any lure we put out. The biggest had 5 herring in its stomach.

Did a sunrise shift with @Gham in his beautiful fishing machine this morning. Went way out searching coho and hit a beauty hatch pretty quick. A couple more hits they didn’t stick then a nice wild released. That was about it for the morning. Stacked 4 rods but it was always the herring aid glow flasher and Herring aid coho killer getting the action.
Heard radio chatter of a grey whale and some big wilds released. Hopefully some good pictures come in. Here’s mine:
View attachment 40560

You got a bit of a “poor mans” Michael Keaton look about you!

16:30 to 19:30 off the harbour solo. 6 or 7 wild and one hatchery, all on either tiny herring or a 3 inch plug fished over a dummy flasher between 55 and 85. Saw a school of either chum or late Sockeye on the surface at one point. 200 to 300 feet of water.

Out today from 10-4pm and found good numbers of coho in 450ft of water off the bluffs. Two triple headers with one of them giving up 3 hatchery and we landed all of them. Kept our 6 and released 9 more including another hatch as we finished with a double and both clipped. Also found 3 springs about 7-8 pounds and lost a good one at Possession as we had a couple hours to kill after limiting on coho. Saw some schools of salmon on the sounder along the 90 ft line west of Possession that I'm sure we're Chum. A ton of bait in the same spot as well. Nice water for the entire trip with the sun coming out near the end.

We were out front as well but closer in. Wasn't hot and heavy but now and then a school coho came through and had us busy for a while. Most are wild but we got a couple nice clippers. I saw a bunch of jumpers and finners and believe too these were chum. Anchovy was a must today. Very little action on plastic or metal.

According to fishery notice FN0430 starting October 1st can retain 1 unmarked Coho.
I contacted DFO in Victoria and they tell me area 20-5 is only marked or clipped coho until Dec. 31, 2018. NO WILD coho. They said notice might change between now and Oct. 1, 2018 but no changes yet.

I contacted DFO in Victoria and they tell me area 20-5 is only marked or clipped coho until Dec. 31, 2018. NO WILD coho. They said notice might change between now and Oct. 1, 2018 but no changes yet.
I have been on the phone for about the last half hour trying to get the correct info on the coho regs. After being given the run around by several d.f.o members giving me several phone numbers to try and talking to some one in ottowa who didn't know what I was talking about I finally talked to a fisheries guy in Nanimo who looked up the information on his computer . He concluded that fisheries are contradicting their own regs. one states no retention of wild coho till dec. 2018 and the other says 1 wild as of Oct. 1 2018.... So who knows It seems they don't ……..C.A.

Back