Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what to say, clearly the DFO can’t get their info straight.
During the season I only read the Fisheries Notices emailed to me.
The big one everyone has been talking about is FN0428 regarding the SRKW

You got it right the first time and actually DFO has a very clear system, you just have to understand that it is the Fisheries Notices that provide the important new information you need as they amend regs to ones that are new or more often, temporary. Regs are amended constantly so you cannot rely on the basic regs as they are a BASE.

The link Mo posted is NOT how to locate temporary amendments /changes to regs ... even the main date of that base reg modification is OLD date "modified March 2018". I do see some mistakes in that document dated in summer that still state 2 chinook retention in 29 but again, FN's are the "trump". The sockeye opening is a typical example of how the FN system works vs the base regs. In the base regs for sockeye, it will often state Sockeye are closed all year - Opening and closing dates will be provided via a Fisheries Notice.

It is everyone's responsibility to read the FN's if you care to fish legally. DFO can't keep changing the base regs back and forth for every temporary/limited change (and change back again) that happens throughout the year so that is why they use the FN system to let you know there are amendments.

I have already posted a link to the answer about area 29-6 and coal ports back in a post a few days ago on this thread - see post #2817.
Or here it is again below:

"This link is a good one and was posted in FN 0666 and it takes you directly to your answer .
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/salmon-saumon/2018-skrw-ers-eng.html#fraser

FN0666 was published on July 30th but the original notice with the area 29 ammendments was FN0428 posted on May 30th. There can be FN updates at any time to announce amendments to previous FNotices so you got to keep on your toes always checking notices ( best to get signed up to have them e-mailed to you). I have not seen any recent amendments to change this since then"

Last edited:
I’m totally confused now, heading out Tuesday so not sure what is open .
App screen shot top header:
stating most recent regs and it was synched today

You got it right the first time and actually DFO has a very clear system, you just have to understand that it is the Fisheries Notices that provide the important new information you need as they amend regs to ones that are new or more often, temporary. Regs are amended constantly so you cannot rely on the basic regs as they are a BASE.

The link Mo posted is NOT how to locate temporary amendments /changes to regs ... even the main date of that base reg modification is OLD date "modified March 2018". I do see some mistakes in that document dated in summer that still state 2 chinook retention in 29 but again, FN's are the "trump". The sockeye opening is a typical example of how the FN system works vs the base regs. In the base regs for sockeye, it will often state Sockeye are closed all year - Opening and closing dates will be provided via a Fisheries Notice.

It is everyone's responsibility to read the FN's if you care to fish legally. DFO can't keep changing the base regs back and forth for every temporary/limited change (and change back again) that happens throughout the year so that is why they use the FN system to let you know there are amendments.

I have already posted a link to the answer about area 29-6 and coal ports back in a post a few days ago on this thread - see post #2817.
Or here it is again below:

"This link is a good one and was posted in FN 0666 and it takes you directly to your answer .
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/salmon-saumon/2018-skrw-ers-eng.html#fraser

FN0666 was published on July 30th but the original notice with the area 29 ammendments was FN0428 posted on May 30th. There can be FN updates at any time to announce amendments to previous FNotices so you got to keep on your toes always checking notices ( best to get signed up to have them e-mailed to you). I have not seen any recent amendments to change this since then"

In my humble opinion the DFO site and their android app are both a joke.
If they were operating in the real world and competing in a market place where success is based on the user experience and how easily your customer finds what they are looking for they would be dead in the water long ago .
It's their job not ours to to "put in the effort" to make this kind of info as easily found and interpreted by the once a year rec fisherman as possible especially considering the potential lack of computer proficiency.
I could give you numerous examples of web design basics to improve it but I won't waste your time.
With the next generation having grown up with extremely well thought out intuitive savvy websites for finding what they are looking for in a few easy clicks the DFO website looks like something from the dark ages and they simply give up on it as I have often done and called my local tackle shop for the latest regs.

The dfo page for area 29 has a date of

“2018-09-20 10:21:02”

I did notice those more recent dates in small print once opening the salmon tab but the main document still shows modified March 2018. Again, that base document should not be used to locate updated or amended regulations information - follow Fisheries Notices and you will be good.
Just the fact the document has contradicting modified dates is a clue something is 'off'. Unless an updated Fisheries Notice comes out to change or amend an earlier one, then you follow the latest Fisheries Notice that came out for the area /fishery - I do agree though that DFO really needs to clean up that document regardless.

EDIt: I will post the DFO fraser mouth map & sub area regs -see thread "Area 29-6 and 29-9"

Last edited:
Anyone fished the bell this week? I only have a few hiurs to fish today and am thinking of skipping the Cap mouth gong show.

Anyone fished the bell this week? I only have a few hiurs to fish today and am thinking of skipping the Cap mouth gong show.

Fished it yesterday AM for a couple hrs. 4 boats out .No hits for us and didn't see a net out from other boats.

We fished yesterday 7 to 3. Spent an hour at the cap away from the pack (tongue in cheek, impossible) one quick coho hit . Pulled up and ran out to t10 to sandheads. Push from the river was insane and I don't know how anyone was able to troll evenly without using main power. Sockeye all over the place but no keeper springs for us . Marked a ton of bait by t10 and missed one at the boat around 230 pm. Didn't try for sockeye and we probably sent back six shakers back for next year(s). Primarily fished 90 to 110, all chovi's with lemons limes.

I was amazed that there was not one boat around t10 in the afternoon and it was near perfect seas and weather conditions,. My buddy convinced me quite easily that it's not time to put the boat away quite yet so this week we'll be back out for more. If seas are smooth I think I'm going to give it a shot around Bowen / crc. What an amazing season it has been, and this site has been a huge help. Cheers to all!

Who or Whom is responsible to enforce the fishing regulations (not limited to but part of ) in Area 29 and other Pacific water areas ? Its my understanding a DFO Officer. If their own posted regulation states (without any subject to) that a specific area is open for a specific type of fish, then why would I or anyone be concerned about being sited for fishing for that fish ? That would be like them just deciding to hand you a ticket in any area that is opened. I usually don't fish the banana but will if the DFO site says its open for a specific type of Salmon I want to fish , I will fish it. I would love the opportunity to challenge it in court .... Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
we got checked by RCMP earlier this year while fishing in south Bowen. He checked our gear for barbless hooks and also looked at my license for 1 chinook that we had in the box. To my surprise, the officer had no interest to see our boat license, PCOC or safety gear!

the banana isn't my favorite area to fish. It's too shallow and you often get tangled with debris and submerged crap. There are better parts of area 29 to fish IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back