Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to head out for a few hours this evening despite the dismal reports from the am. As soon as I hit the Sandheads lighthouse my eyes were peeled for jumpers. I could see splashes way off in the distance. When we got to them the fish were jumping like crazy in 500 to 600 feet of water. There were enormous schools bigger than I've seen all season. Connecting was difficult though as the tide was really pushing strong making control difficult in my small boat. Trolling one way and my gps said I was headed another. The active fish were again on the surface. Cannon balls set at 40 feet and lines at 30 and 22 feet. We were getting lots of quick hits and gone. Caught a wild coho and three sockeye before it was dark. The fish were still jumping. Went to start the engine up and kept stalling. Turns out I had my front end rope wrapped around the prop once we got that figure out she ran smooth all the way back to the dock in the dark around 845pm. Love it out there with very few guys out fishing now. Mega schools all to yourself.

The underwater footage is insane I can't believe we didn't connect with more.

Attachments

• IMG_20180918_234116_279.jpg
    IMG_20180918_234116_279.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 176
After my skunk last night back had to get back out there and sure enough 30 mins in and one dog fish boom fish on just as I set the hook the other rod goes. Fishing with a first timer and we got a dbl header! Got the first fish in pretty easily but the second was more stress full. Bud tries to net from the tail and gets the fish so tangled in the down rigger cable I thought for sure it was a goner but after a couple little runs she was tired enough that we made it happen. 13lbs white and a 14lbs red.

On the water by 3 off by 4.

55 ft and 72 on the riggers with anchovies

Salty dawg and twisted sister flashers.

Where abouts were you fishing? North Arm? South Arm? Probably not the Cap if you caught a red spring...??

Wonder if a small pink buzz bomb or a pink jig tossed into that school would get you a bite ????
I tried a pink #4 vibrax the other day. Only gave it a few casts. Tossed to the 10 o'clock position boat while we were trolling then jigged it back to the boat as we went by. Hooked a fish on one of our trolling rods right away, so I put the casting experiment away.

Did I miss the email? Hardly any boats at SA today.
No, us working stiffs have to slave away at our desks still, even though it's a beautiful sunny fall day. However, looking forward to the day I can go out any time I want too. Enjoy the peace and solitude!

Nice little afternoon out at Sand Heads. Bit of a sampler day... 1 chum (14#) 1 barely keeper spring and 1 sockeye. 3/3 overall not much action even when we went thru a couple schools of jumpers. Lots of tangles strong current during the flood. All fish caught 80-90 on riggers but was varying the depth often to try to find them. The sockeye was nice and chrome and fresh... for what that’s worth.

All caught on purple flash and the googly eyed wild thing lure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back