Buying first boat, advice?

FishOutofWater

Hi
I was turned onto this website by a friend and it looks like a wealth of info.

Anyways I'm looking at a deal to trade my ATV for a 1978 16ft Double eagle with a 60hp 2003 four stroke yamaha outboard, and the boat owner says he will throw in a kicker, it has a bracket The boat looks to be in great shape, despite being 40 years old(older than me). Looking around at classifieds the boat is probably valued at 4500-5000. I'm trying to get 6000 (asking 6800) for my ATV so if he throws in a kicker and some fishing gear it could be a fair deal.

I've always wanted a small powerboat, and this size and type seems ideal to me as I can tow it with our minivan, fit my kids while they are small, and not be overwhelmed with the size of the vessel as an inexperienced boater/boat owner.

I've spent some time on the water in smaller craft such as canoes, surfboards and larger cruiser type vessels and sailboats. I want to be able to explore the gulf islands, float on the lake and do a bit of saltwater and freshwater fishing/crabbing. For me it's not a question of if I get a boat it's when. I love being on the water.

Does anyone have any input about this vintage double eagle?

I understand that I'm taking some risk with older equipment, and I could be looking at replacing transom and stringers and_or the outboard in the future, but hopefully not right away!

I'll be having the boat inspected at Deans marine in Duncan before making a deal.

Any input or advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Dan

You chose a good boat and you are doing the right thing to get a pro to check it over. However, 60 horse is underpowered. Do get the transom and stringers checked because repair is a huge job. Also, check out the trailer. How's the upholstery and canvas? There are lots of boats out there so Don't fall in love with the first one or two.

If you don't know how a F/G boat is built, assume that it has wood in the transom, floor, & stringers. A surveyor/inspector will tap with a hammer on these area's listening for a dull sound (indication on water damage).

I almost bought a used boat listed at $18K that had bad stringers over $12K to fix.

I know nothing about DE's except they seem very popular on this forum. I have a 1978 Chris Craft that was built w/o wood stringers, so maybe there are others as well. Many boats are built with a plywood core in the hull; something else to be aware of.

Hi
I was turned onto this website by a friend and it looks like a wealth of info.

Anyways I'm looking at a deal to trade my ATV for a 1978 16ft Double eagle with a 60hp 2003 four stroke yamaha outboard, and the boat owner says he will throw in a kicker, it has a bracket The boat looks to be in great shape, despite being 40 years old(older than me). Looking around at classifieds the boat is probably valued at 4500-5000. I'm trying to get 6000 (asking 6800) for my ATV so if he throws in a kicker and some fishing gear it could be a fair deal.

I've always wanted a small powerboat, and this size and type seems ideal to me as I can tow it with our minivan, fit my kids while they are small, and not be overwhelmed with the size of the vessel as an inexperienced boater/boat owner.

I've spent some time on the water in smaller craft such as canoes, surfboards and larger cruiser type vessels and sailboats. I want to be able to explore the gulf islands, float on the lake and do a bit of saltwater and freshwater fishing/crabbing. For me it's not a question of if I get a boat it's when. I love being on the water.

Does anyone have any input about this vintage double eagle?

I understand that I'm taking some risk with older equipment, and I could be looking at replacing transom and stringers and_or the outboard in the future, but hopefully not right away!

I'll be having the boat inspected at Deans marine in Duncan before making a deal.

Any input or advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Dan

A 60 hp isn't under powered for that boat I had same one. Same year. To be honest its 6k with a motor, and you can't get much in boat for that. Its a starter boat and after a year of it you will want something bigger. I loved my 16ft doubel eagle but it had no space at all. I shoudl have got the 17ft. My opinion on this one if it has decent trailer, motor checks out and kicker, and decent canvas that isn't a bad price. I will tell you something though on buying it. Check floor for soft spots. You can also ask if you can test it out on water first. If it has high black canvas top, and orange.white maybe it is my old one.

go look at a 17 double eagle or hourston after looking at the 16. You might be able to skip a step in boat ownership and get a 17 first. most guys start at 16 then move up to a 17.
Theres a couple decent looking 17's on usedvic, usednan, and craigslist that are in the same ballpark price range as your ATV.

The 60 hp Yam 4-stroke is a good motor.
I have one on my 16' boat and it will push it 25knots.
run to the grounds and troll all day on 1/2 a day tank.

Last edited:
5 gal day tanks (approx 24ltr)
I troll with mine and change the motor oil 3 times a year and the gear oil once a year.
Doing your own maintenance saves a lot of $$.
oil filter is $15 + 3 litres of oil (buy it on sale)

Also an "03"will be a carbed model( fuel injection began in "05")
Cold starts can be an issue unless ..... you pump the ball good and hard before turning the key.
Once they warm up they run like a dream.

Also an "03"will be a carbed model( fuel injection began in "05")
Cold starts can be an issue unless ..... you pump the ball good and hard before turning the key.
Once they warm up they run like a dream.
Sounds affordable for me! I do most of my own maintenance and work on my vehicles and home all the time. I plan on doing so with whatever boat I get.

I understand the logic of getting a bigger boat, however having been down that thought path a few times I want to start small. I'll be towing with our family minivan (3500lb capacity) for the first few years so total weight is a main factor for me. That and keeping fuel costs and maintenance costs down.

Do you winterize your motor?

One other thing to note, if you are loading a bunch of kids,gear,wife etc.
you will notice a lack of available space and power.
A 16' boat runs best with 2 people max.

I found an ad for the boat, the exact one he is selling, from two years ago when he must have bought it. He even sent me pictures from this old ad...

www.usedcowichan.com/classified-ad/16-ft-Double-Eagle-Boat-with-60-hp-Yamaha-OB_28274477.lite?
We had almost exactly that same boat when I was growing up. Only ours had a 50hp Johnson and a little button beside the glove box for my mom. It had a label that said panic button. It didn't do anything, but it was there for her. Our family of four had tons of adventures in that boat.

You chose a good boat and you are doing the right thing to get a pro to check it over. However, 60 horse is underpowered. Do get the transom and stringers checked because repair is a huge job. Also, check out the trailer. How's the upholstery and canvas? There are lots of boats out there so Don't fall in love with the first one or two.
How are the stringers checked? It looks like they are under the floor and not easy to inspect? I've seen videos of people checking the hull and transom with a hammer, listening to the tapping sound.

You are right. Not sure on your boat but ours has a removable panel in the floor for access to stringers and the fuel tank. The surveyor drilled the stringers to test the wood for rot, then sealed the holes after.

OMG exact same boat. That a good deal if the motor is OK. The way you tell if it has floor issue is if it has never been done it will have foam. That gets waterlogged so beware when you are buying. If its waterlogged it will eventually rot the stringers.

Back