River Journal 09/12/2018

I love reading the arguments on this very topic,
And debate it regularly with people..
#1 stamp river coho do not bite, there is however occasions in November after the water cools that they bite everything including
The so called bead.. for those that think they bite beads when 100 salmon are swimming by at 20 k an hour to keep cool NOT happening,,
Try wool they floss better,
Springs do bite in the deeper water..
Debate all you want
This is the way it is
If they bit beads they’d bite spinners also
NOT HAPPENING
Never has never will
Lots of fun though, 50,000 coho headed upriver and there meant to be caught, the people that fish here all doit the same way and are successful at it and enjoy,,

I have never fished the stamp but can someone explain the difference between them and lower mainland coho which do bite. Some of the absolute worst fisherman I have met have all said that exact same thing "these fish dont bite" as if to absolve themselves from snagging these fish, meanwhile they are standing in the middle of the run mid afternoon with 30lb leader and massive hooks. Like I said I dont fish the island rivers so they must be different fish

Water temp!! SSS coho show up earlier than most van island flows, water is warm and low. Mid oct water has cooled and there on the bite but by then most have turned. SSS springs will bite roe, probably why all the guides are us using it. ;)

I first fished stamp in 1991. Trolled ocean where 30+ # springs were flopping all over the frigging place. NO ONE WAS CATCHING ANYTHING , until cast n reefers did. We ended trying tiver and went to Swanson’s, well those springs bit , peach pink wool 1.5 foot leaders. Walked out with slabs up that field , 7 years ago thinking same action, odd bite on wool and roe. Never a coho bit. Then we tried near moneys , run so full of coho u couldn’t fit another in ,fresh roe test first light , I’ve seen seen coho repulsed by bait before. Until I tried that lol , good points on warm water but I really think it’s hatchery genetics gone amok?

Coho bite reasonably well on most rivers on the island even with warm water temps. There is one river I fish in August ( as long as there is enough water ) where coho's readily bite spoons and spinners. The SSS coho in my experience are very poor biters that is why most anglers fish long leaders in fast water and floss. The same flossing technique is used for sockeye on the SSS system. The springs are much more receptive and will bite using either roe or pulling plugs from a boat.

Ps I don’t see any hate here ? Just discussion of reality.

Why don't you go start your own "Journal" thread of your theories of when and why fish bite since 1991; maybe take us on a tale through the years? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

@treblig has been around these sites for years and has always posted up refreshing reports where he takes us along with him through words and pictures.....why do you have to sh*t on a thread where he is planning on sharing his fall fishing tales? It's a wonder people post here anymore. :rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

THIS IS Trebling's journal thread....leave it at that and those who need to ***** should start ANOTHER bitching thread; god knows there's enough of them around...what's one more? :p

Last edited:
Cammer ...... He (Pippen) is right why ride, leach, a posting when you can start your own and heat it up

cammer says ....
Ps I don’t see any hate here ? Just discussion of reality.
The king says ........
who ever your calling goon that is a personal attack and rude . You should remove that post

Last edited:
Keep posting Treblig . I saltwater fish June to October in my boat and start transitioning to freshwater in the fall . Taking the Spey rod and center Pin rod for a walk tomorrow :)

River Journal 09/17/2018
Rivers are tremedously high. We hunted for areas that we could at least cast . Lots of driving and found a few accesses but the flo was fast and high. Found a few anglers in those areas and they were not lucky using heavy spoons. We then went to the beaches and they are dead all the way up to Henson road ( Nile Creek ) . So after two days of no rain , that will be Thursday we will hit the river again. It should have dropped with 2 days with no rain. We visited the big Q hatchery and they have chinooks already up river and the odd Coho.

Pippen please read my posts and tell me where I sheet on treblig once? My whole point is I’ve seen treblig on the stamp fishing and like the rest of us there , he was catching them in the same fashion as needed too. Fact is still same since 1991, fish won’t bite on this river , quite the shame cause if they did it would be the best river in BC. Goon. ? Yeah I guess I am kinda am a goon , let’s drop em king,,,

Pippen please read my posts and tell me where I sheet on treblig once? My whole point is I’ve seen treblig on the stamp fishing and like the rest of us there , he was catching them in the same fashion as needed too. Fact is still same since 1991, fish won’t bite on this river , quite the shame cause if they did it would be the best river in BC. Goon. ? Yeah I guess I am kinda am a goon , let’s drop em king,,,

I am no river fisherman but right out of the gate, having not been there you call him a "flosser" which even I know is generally a derogatory term. I will admit....you're alter ego "The King" :rolleyes: who was on this thread right away after joining two days ago was an arse but having been on this forum for a LONG, LONG time I've seen it all. Why not just shut the **** up and let a guy post up his tales of fishing which long leader or not are 110% legal? Admin noted....nothing illegal about what he was doing even if it WAS what you claim.....so shut up and do as your Mommy once hopefully but perhaps given your posts didn't say.

They don’t bite at all, this thread should be about the harvesting of beautiful west coast salmon not techniques as everyone uses 5/7 foot leaders , float??? Doesn’t matter , legal rentention practices? Nope snagged fish count , Call it what it is on stamp systems beautiful harvest

Ya....may not be sheeoting on him but a pretty useless comment. Most who have seen his posts over the years I believe appreciate them, why not just shut up and start YOUR debate on the history of fish biting in the SSS since 91 with journal updates and images to back up your Kingly findings in your own thread? :confused: ;) :confused:

Don't let the haters get you down Treblig. I for one appreciate your reports and living vicariously through them so keep em coming.

If you think salmon, or trout and steelhead for that matter, don't bite beads or wool ties then I feel sorry for you. Both are legitimate and work really well when fished properly. Wool in proper colors and trimmed to egg size can be deadly for many species of fish. It sounds to me like some of you are ruined mentally on the technique due to watching the local sockeye floss fest, and undoubtedly some of those flossers bleed through to other species and fisheries which is not right and makes legitimate anglers look bad. But Stamp coho most definitely do bite under the right conditions, I can assure you that.

River Journal 09/20/2018

Today we brought both rods for river or beach just in case. I am glad as the river is still very high. Two days of no rain and still very high. With this storm coming in this might be the end for this flo's season. So we ventured to an estuary . The salmon were there and it was low tide on slack. Sometimes the coho and spring were within 40 feet but we could not get them to bite except one spring jack. At least they are on the beaches finally. With the weather changing for the worst it may turn the bite on. Today was calm but over cast . Once we get a chop then I believe like in the past they will be active to our offerings. Stay tune for the Beach Journal 2018P9190009.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey pippen what a clown u are , stay off the river and out in Georgia straight where u may have a hope in knowing you a$$ from a hole in the ground. The “king “ called me a goon you fool! My alter ego thinks I’m much better than that ,, You seem to know your moderators so ask them to see who that is but calling me out via thread and getting personal would be something the “moderator s “ might take a frown upon! Again never dissed treblig once. Stated only that stamp is a harvest fishery in a post where I know the guy reports on the stamp regularly

I would gladly put money on it , you fish a 16 inch leader and I’d follow u for 10 days and u wouldn’t get a sniff. All the people who know there stuff know this as a fact. Ask ironhead, etc. Do that on vedder and chehalis and I promise limits in mere hour or so given the same amount of fish

Hey pippen what a clown u are , stay off the river and out in Georgia straight where u may have a hope in knowing you a$$ from a hole in the ground. The “king “ called me a goon you fool! My alter ego thinks I’m much better than that ,, You seem to know your moderators so ask them to see who that is but calling me out via thread and getting personal would be something the “moderator s “ might take a frown upon! Again never dissed treblig once. Stated only that stamp is a harvest fishery in a post where I know the guy reports on the stamp regularly

Go start your own thread. Then we can all crap there.

Secondly ......"clown" is a bit harsh.

Thirdly ...it seems like you are the only one who can have an opinion. Yours is fish haven't bit since 1991 in the SSS....since pre 1991 I have been able to recognize "clowns" and worse. I added an opinion based on my extensive reasearch of clowns et al since the days of Duran Duran .

Don't like me....report it as I did the King troll. It's easy!! There is a button!

I am just standing up for a good member who has been around these forums for ages. Guys like you and King decided to dump on him/his reports with the same general sentiment .

There is SAND bars on rivers....why not just STICK YOUR HEAD IN IT and ***** at the river. Give it your opinion....as we all know about opinions......everyone has one....just....like......

Last edited:
I’ll watch them. I lined a beauty coho last week while retrieving a lure. Hooked top of face. , set hook when tightened up , legal on the stamp I guess. , not questioning your skill in the least. I’m saying that anyone using a 16 in leader or so will drop from “ casting disease”. Seen a guide boat anchor on Thursday at park in front of Murphy’s. Casting spinners lures up river , foul hooked a big spring, seen lure in back and it was kept,guide jumped out of boat to net it was another big hint legal on stamp I guess,,,

Back