Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

The whales spent most of the summer in pretty much the same place this summer. You can check out the reports of where they have been sighted.

In general they spent most of their time near Pender Island with a few trips up towards Sooke and back and a few trips to the mouth of the Fraser and back.

Although all the Pender sightings might be a bit bias because their is a whale listening station their.

So Eric, I looked up Critical Habitat on the US government site and it seems to be more about your government not granting licenses and curtailing development etc. It also stated it specifically doesn’t create refuges! So back to my original question are you aware of any move to create sanctuaries in the San Juan’s or Puget Sound or any other initiative other than litigation by a smAll group hoping for some sort of action.Just curious as to if there is any initiatives coming from your government. Not sure if I’m missing something.

No, I am not aware of anything like CA is doing.

Once again we see a misinterpretation of the information in the scientific consensus. Most like you, have interpreted the panel conclusions to mean SRKW are AFRAID of boats. You then can self justify that the panel recommendations are incorrect if you see whales near sport fishing vessels, as clearly in your mind they are not afraid and the panel conclusions are invalid. This is not the panels conclusions. From the study "Action would specifically minimize acoustic interference with echolocation during hunting and communication between pod members, and would minimize physical interference from vessels that may disrupt surface chases, preclude prey sharing, or cause animals to cease foraging and move out of an area".

Only one part of it is animals avoiding the boats and the area. The fact they are in the Sooke area close to the boats indicates there are salmon there. The study isn't saying they will necessarily not come there or leave prematurely (which is possible, how do you know if they wouldn't be there longer ). but that while they are there their success rate is likely lower. Its hard not to imagine large numbers of sport boats, creating a moving maze of of lines with cannon balls on the end extending 50-200 feet down, with flashers trailing 20 feet behind, each with fish finders sending acoustic signals out, and kicker or main engines going might reduce the whales success in catching salmon. Add in the commercial and other recreational traffic in the area and its even more plausible.
I have no doubt that ambient noise as well as discrete frequency generation could be a problem. I am unaware however of any data that determined what detrimental discrete frequencies and at what dB level are generated by recreational fishermen as opposed to say commercial traffic. I am also unaware of any sound profiling data comparing noise generation by a trolling motor as opposed to say a high speed tour vessels or a large commercial vessel. I’m pretty sure they would be in different ranges of the sound spectrum and different dB levels. So far all I have been able to find is noise may be bad, perhaps there is an ongoing study to determine what noise, but I haven’t seen one. And so far it appears,through current regulations anyway,it’s only the recreational fisherman’s generated noise that creates a problem and that just does not make sense.

Eric and Cali what green organizations do you come from. SHOW ME WHERE I HAVE STATED ANYTHING ABOUT ME WANTING MORE FISH FOR MYSELF. Why don't you all do us a favour and go trool somewhere else. maybe even show us a fishing picture or two. Eric as for science it has been my job as an environmental consultant for the last 30 years, put your hand behind your back and give yourself a big pat or maybe get your buddy Cali to do it for you. You make a cute couple liking each others posts. One more thing i live on the ocean in Jordan River, part of the closed zone, maybe you as a great scientist can tell me why there have been very few sightings of the whales here, oh i get it the salmon that are in Sooke somehow just appear there and do not come by Jordan River, carry on again.

The whales spent most of the summer in pretty much the same place this summer. You can check out the reports of where they have been sighted.

In general they spent most of their time near Pender Island with a few trips up towards Sooke and back and a few trips to the mouth of the Fraser and back.

Although all the Pender sightings might be a bit bias because their is a whale listening station their.

Can you supply a link to where these report are?

Thanks WMY.

Music Break..........

Eric and Cali what green organizations do you come from. SHOW ME WHERE I HAVE STATED ANYTHING ABOUT ME WANTING MORE FISH FOR MYSELF. Why don't you all do us a favour and go trool somewhere else. maybe even show us a fishing picture or two. Eric as for science it has been my job as an environmental consultant for the last 30 years, put your hand behind your back and give yourself a big pat or maybe get your buddy Cali to do it for you. You make a cute couple liking each others posts. One more thing i live on the ocean in Jordan River, part of the closed zone, maybe you as a great scientist can tell me why there have been very few sightings of the whales here, oh i get it the salmon that are in Sooke somehow just appear there and do not come by Jordan River, carry on again.
The K pod came by there recently------- Wow...What a special day with K POD of our Beloved endangered Southern Resident Killer Whales! Our naturalist Deanna Brett spotted what looked like a Humpback Tail lobbing off Jordan River so we turned south to take a look...what a pleasant surprise to find breaching orca instead! We found K Pod heading westbound and we were the only boat around again...although a couple did go the extra mile to have a quick visit. - Paul Pudwell

Wow did see 2 orcas yesterday and 2 whale watching boats right on top of them, they hardly surfaced as they were being harassed by the boats, and can you believe it, it was the man Paul himself Go Paul Go. A naturalist mistaking a humpback for a killer whale, job well done, might need to go back to school. Terrin maybe ask the whale watchers where they have spent most of the summer, i bet it would fit in with Wildmans post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric as for science it has been my job as an environmental consultant for the last 30 years
they hung out the entire summer in the fishing fleet in Sooke area,

I am somewhat surprised. You are too quick to jump to conclusions:

Did you see the Orca's in Sooke, or is it second/third hand knowledge?
Were you there the entire summer?
Why does wild man's maps show different?
Were these SRKW's or were they transients?
Were they actually feeding?
Can you accept that if the were SRKW's in Sooke feeding on Salmon it was because it was there best option?

How about some answers for once instead of acting like some nut about to go postal on us?

Can you accept that if the were SRKW's in Sooke feeding on Salmon it was because it was there best option?

How about some answers for once instead of acting like some nut about to go postal on us?

Jackel you can't argue with EricL if you say black he says blue. No offense but I think I would listen to Jackel as he lives in Jordan River, and lots of his connections are in Sooke area vs. someone from the US who is never up here. I really grow tired of the pure emotional pro enviro group theme on here with some of you.

Last edited:

Anybody can ask the same questions you just did..do you have 1st hand answers or are you getting your info 2nd and 3rd hand info..thanks for that great input to this thread...

You are a piece of work, i do live in the area (ocean front), fish in the area, used to guide and have countless friends who still do so this is first hand observations not some American spewing bs from behind his computer who probably didn't fish a day in these waters

. Have lived on the ocean or ocean view in the JR area for 21 years, this year after the closures it is the fewest sightings i have seen of any killer whales in my local area. Try reading the article provided, maybe it will enlighten you, as for your facts in red above there are so many holes in what you state and ask it is not worth the time to debate,carry on my little American friend.

RESIDENT KILLER WHALES CRITICAL HABITAT DISCUSSION
INFORMATION SESSIONS AND OPPORTUNITY TO COMMENT

DFO opened a review of the Recovery Strategies to public consultation on June 12, 2018 and closed it on July 11, 2018. While the key points for discussion required input from stakeholders, the timing and the window of opportunity to provide feedback was inappropriate. Stakeholders that could provide meaningful feedback were either unaware of this comment period or were too busy with the height of the season. Many pointed this out to DFO, and while they have maintained a time line of action, they have added two in person opportunities to provide comment about the critical habitat proposals for Southern Resident Killer Whales on the West coast of Vancouver Island.

The following are details of the notice from DFO:

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) and the Parks Canada Agency (PCA) are pleased to notify you of the following information sessions regarding the proposed amendments to the Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales (Orcinus orca) in Canada.

The amended Recovery Strategy includes identification of two additional areas as proposed critical habitat for Resident Killer Whales following recent science advice, as well as clarification of the features, functions and attributes for proposed and existing critical habitat. The proposed amended Recovery Strategy is currently posted on the Species at Risk Public Registry, and public input is being sought on Section 7 (Critical habitat) of the document for a 60-day comment period (September 4 – November 3, 2018). Input is sought via the above link or through the regional SARA program (contact info below).

The purpose of the information sessions is to provide information about the proposed critical habitat for Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales, including the description of the science advice underlying the identification of the additional proposed critical habitat areas, and to answer questions about the proposed amendments to the document.

The SFI is coordinating participation with local groups including the West Coast Fishing Guide Association - WCFGA and maintains an archive of many useful and relevant documents and publications regarding Killer Whales here: RKW Issues.
  • The draft Amended Recovery Strategy updates the critical habitat for Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales based on new science advice
  • Two additional areas of special importance as proposed critical habitat for Resident Killer Whales. These include:
    • waters on the continental shelf off southwestern Vancouver Island, including Swiftsure and La Pérouse Banks (important for both Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales)
    • waters of west Dixon Entrance, along the north coast of Graham Island from Langara to Rose Spit (important for Northern Resident Killer Whales)
  • The amendment also provides clarification of the functions, features and attributes for all critical habitat identified for Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales
Note: these are proposals to identify critical habitat for both NRKW and SRKW. The activities that may or not be allowed in those areas have not been determined. If you operate or fish in areas where you know Northern or Southern KW frequent, it is important to contribute your feedback and should plan to do so within the comment period ending November 3rd.

ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND ON THE RKW ISSUE AND SUGGESTIONS FOR DEVELOPING A RESPONSE
This issue is a challenge in that it has become a media focus yet there is not a lot of understanding or public sympathy in terms of protecting recreational fishing opportunity vs. what is perceived as "protecting" SRKW's. Incomplete science and the potential of devastating impacts to coastal communities make it critically important that DFO slows down and makes sure all information is acquired before making decisions.

We are now in a 60-day written consultation period for the proposal Critical Habitat extension. The deadline for submissions is November 3rd. It is important that we all take time to get it right rather than providing a knee jerk response. And, just because there may be public meetings doesn’t mean anglers shouldn’t take time to provide a written response. It is of the utmost importance that everyone you know who is concerned or likely to be impacted responds to that proposal. This is worth repeating: You’ve got until November 3rd to create a written response – do the homework, understand the issue and provide a reasoned, but passionate response that includes your local expertise and traditional knowledge.

As mentioned, The SFI has an RKW page where a variety of articles and documents are listed including a link to the SAR Public Registry, where responses must be submitted.

SAR Public Registry - Comments can be sent via email at the bottom of the page.

Please take the time to read all the documents associated with the issue especially the following, posted here and on the SFI website:

Research Document 2017/035 - Habitats of Special Importance to Resident Killer Whales (Orcinus orca) off the West Coast of Canada

It is important to understand a few key points in responding:
  • This consultation is about the critical habitat extension. It is not about closures. DFO has said nothing about what it may or may not do in the area once it is designated as critical habitat.
  • It appears that DFO is committed to designating this area as critical habitat. The opportunity to comment and participate in the upcoming sessions, should allow for a challenge to some of the data, especially in terms of the frequency of observations in the La Perouse Bank and Swifttsure Bank areas.
  • Local traditional knowledge needs to be a part of consideration, therefore the importance of locals and those familiar with the area providing comment. There are guides in the area who have spent decades on the offshore banks for most of each summer. How frequently do you see killer whales?
  • Make sure that when you respond that you carefully articulate your local knowledge and experience on the water as well as how this issue is likely to impact your business, family and life. Are rumours of closures impacting repeat bookings? Is the uncertainty about the future causing you difficulty in planning your business activities moving ahead?
  • The response doesn’t need to be an article that will pass scientific peer review. Please avoid exaggeration and assumptions, one page stating concerns will suffice.
A next step in the process will be how DFO determines what activities can take place within the Critical Habitat areas, if they are legally added. Some thoughts on this…
  • It isn't clear what this will look like or when it will happen. Depending on the sense of urgency DFO applies to the situation, worst-case scenario may be that fisheries measures are imposed in time for the 2019 season. We currently have no confirmation or denial of that schedule despite asking. As you may have seen, environmental non-government organizations (ENGO) have stated their desire to see all fisheries closed and recently launched a lawsuit to pressure DFO. The response from DFO is worth noting and a little encouraging, linked here and on the SFI website: Minister fires back at groups for suing over Killer Whales - September 9, 2018.

Part 2 of the article for our little buddy:

Key points to consider:
  • Despite the “crisis mode” that has been created by a well funded ENGO social media and mainstream media campaign, the facts indicate that while many Killer Whale populations are healthy, if not thriving, SRKW’s face a 0 to 50% chance of extinction in the next 100 years. This, by anyone’s definition, is not an immediate crisis. DFO and society have the time to determine some meaningful, measurable steps to aid the whales rather than rush in, panicking about a falsely identified time crisis, and get it wrong or worse, get it wrong and negatively impact the health and stability of coastal communities, businesses and individuals.
  • Our “consultation” experience for SRKW’s in 2018 created great mistrust between DFO and the fishing community. The DFO Minister of the day chose to bow to political pressure in the form of a threatened lawsuit rather than listen to the advice offered by his own Pacific Region staff and the carefully and thoughtfully gathered community recommendations that incorporated the best available science of the day. This was both demoralizing to staff, insulting to those who took the time to participate in consultation, and downright irresponsible in its purely political rather than scientific justification. The result was a ridiculous farce that permits industrial scale commercial fisheries for the same species in the same areas while low impact recreational fisheries are prohibited. We know that regional staff and the local fishing community are both insulted and demoralized by the outcome, and we are fearful that a similar approach may be taken this time. However, we are hopeful that the new Minister, who has consistently declared that best science will be his guide and is from the west coast, may take the time to understand the issue more clearly and respond in a more meaningful and science-based manner. His response to the Sept 6th lawsuit, as noted above, launched by 6 so-called conservation groups, gives some cause for optimism in this regard and perhaps evidence that reason and science will prevail over Twitter, Facebook and emotion.
  • Little is known about populations of SRKW prior to the 60’s. There were 47 animals captured in the 60’s and 70’s and removed from the population. Since then, the numbers of SRKW has fluctuated between a low of 70 in 1974 to a high of 99 in 1995. Since 2001 the population has fluctuated between 89 and its current level of 74 individuals. The increases in the population correlate well with times of high chinook abundance and in the presence of much, much larger commercial fisheries than we have today. Much of that abundance was hatchery origin chinook yet many of those hatcheries, especially on the Fraser River, no longer operate today or operate at much lower production levels.
  • The actual locations and timing of foraging behaviour in the proposed critical habitat extension do not appear even remotely conclusive – especially in the portions of the proposed Critical Habitat zone around La Perouse and Swiftsure Banks. DFO needs to be certain about where and when these animals forage, and what benefits (or lack thereof) SRKW’s will get from fishery management measures. An understanding of these details needs to be gathered and be more definitive before throwing the citizens of the WCVI under the bus as a political gesture to a vocal ENGO community that seems to just not care about the impacts that half baked, panic driven measures will have on the families and communities of the region.
  • A technical workshop held in Vancouver last year was well attended by both whale and salmon biologists and managers from OR, WA, AK and BC. The SFI's Martin Paish attended as a representative of the SFAB, SFI and the sport fishing community. The consensus reached at that workshop was that large-scale closures implemented to increase the overall abundance of chinook would NOT be an effective strategy to provide more prey to SRKW’s. Again, DFO needs to listen to its experts and not to strategically manipulated public opinion. Find details and findings of the workshop here and on the SFI website: SRKW Prey Workshop Proceedings
  • DFO has a responsibility and fiduciary duty to consider not only the whales but the people and communities that will be impacted by any potential management measures. Widespread closures in key fishing areas such as those that have occurred in the more eastern areas of the proposed Critical Habitat will produce significant negative impacts to individuals, businesses, families and entire communities and likely without accomplishing anything that may provide material benefits to the whales.
FOR THE WHALES AND BRITISH COLUMBIANS
  • DFO will have one opportunity to get this right as widespread fishing closures will force the closure of businesses, the removal of fishing related infrastructure and the loss of market share to other areas. “Shooting first and asking questions later” by imposing widespread management measures as proposed by the ENGO community is irresponsible to both the impacted communities and the whales. Such action poses the real risk of providing the optics that much has been accomplished for the whales while not providing any real solution. The designation of the forage areas during the 2018 fall in to that category.
  • There are solutions available that will actually solve problems rather than address symptoms. We believe that if government is willing to make the right investments, chinook abundance can be enhanced and restored to allow for both fisheries and abundant prey for RKW’s. The focus should be on producing more chinook rather than catching less. The 80’s and 90’s produced abundances of chinook that provided for large scale commercial fisheries, a growing recreational fishery and an increasing RKW population. How do we get back there?
To protect both citizens of the BC coast and recover whales, government (both Provincial and Federal) needs to:
  1. Invest in strategic enhancement of the right stocks of chinook that will provide prey that is accessible to RKW’s when they need it. Modernize hatchery protocols to focus on the right stocks in terms of survival success and timing.
  2. Invest in understanding and then mitigating the impacts of predators on both juvenile and adult salmon.
  3. Invest in protecting remaining salmonid habitat first, and then rehabilitating damaged habitat as a more long-term strategy. Habitat must include sufficient water flows to allow salmon to both spawn and rear.
We have had situations in the past where both whales and fisheries coexisted well and examples in the north where that situation continues. We believe that this is not an us or them scenario. Action and response are required but it must be multifaceted. Both public and politicians must better understand that harvest of chinook and access to our coast is critical to both the whales and small coastal communities on the WCVI. And, that modifying harvest is at best addressing a symptom, not a solution. Reducing or eliminating chinook harvest in particular areas displaces harvest somewhere else and does not address the underlying issues including those described above; reduced production of chinook, degraded habitat and predator control.

Simply put, in order to actually solve the problem we need to do many things including make more chinook.

We need a sustained and unified voice to demand that the necessary investments are in place to address the real issues that will deliver meaningful, measurable change. We are Canadians. We care about our citizens, our environment and our whales and don’t run our society based on tweets and manipulative social media campaigns.

Let’s take the time to get this right and do our best to aid RKW’s and the lifestyle and economy that is so important to the west coast of our country.

BUSY FALL - MORE UPDATES TO FOLLOW

The Killer whale consultation and comment period is time sensitive, important to all of us, and is worthy of this lengthy update. But, there are many other things developing for the sport fishing community and the SFI as we move into the fall. We will send additional member updates as emerging items and details require and later this week that will include details about our upcoming Conference and Big Splash on November 22 in Vancouver and a reminder about the enrollment in the Fishing BC trade show co-op program.
Until next time, tight lines,
The SFI Team

Jackel you can't argue with EricL if you say black he says blue. No offense but I think I would listen to Jackel as he lives in Jordan River, and lots of his connections are in Sooke area vs. someone from the US who is never up here. I really grow tired of the pure emotional pro enviro group theme on here with some of you.
Thanks SV i appreciate the kind words, funny how some one who doesn't fish our area knows it all, but apparently i am just a fish ***** :) Give me a call when you are in JR next time. I think Eric should quit while he can, he is starting to make Trump look smart :D

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was in High School in East Van there was a park nearby called Brock Park. Whenever someone wanted to fight the whole school would walk the two blocks in a huge mob and surround a single badminton court with a 7' tall chain link fence around it with only two doors. This was known as "the cage". A couple older guys would block the doors and whoever wanted fight would be trapped inside.

Can we please please PLEASE take this to the cage guys? Please?

The Southern Orca population seems to be on a similar trend over the last 40 plus years. Makes you wonder why there getting all worked up now and not in the past. Perhaps the feds want to look good to the public prior to pushing through the pipeline and cranking up tanker traffic? Makes one wonder. Be nice if the media shared what the populations were every decade both highs and lows. They act as if there were hundreds or even thousands and now there's 75 ish we better do something. I think there's a much bigger plot here, and possibly it's groups like the David Suzuki Foundation that figure lets raise hell now knock the fishermen down then once the pipeline goes through go after shutting down tanker traffic. Food for thought.

IMG_9601.jpg

What stands out in this graph is the period of late 60’s and early 70’s when whales were being captured for Aquariums and Amusement Parks many under the auspices of scientific study. Both Canada and the USA issued capture permits and one American individual claimed he alone captured @30. That’s a huge number of whales to take from a pod of less than 100 and it’s hard to believe that given these were young healthy specimens, we are not now seeing the impact. I suspect we lost many potential breeders and may in fact be seeing a low survival rate of calves due to inbreeding of the remaining stock. Oddly the experts who thought capture was a good idea are now silent and very little is being said about their mistake. Instead if you ask the guy on the street why the pod is in so much danger, he will tell you it’s just a food shortage because that seems to be the main drum the media constantly beats. While more salmon may be part of the solution, it’s by no means all of the solution!

I think there's a much bigger plot here, and possibly it's groups like the David Suzuki Foundation that figure lets raise hell now knock the fishermen down then once the pipeline goes through go after shutting down tanker traffic. Food for thought.
How does that make any sense? The ENGOs have spent considerable effort on protests, camps and funded a lawsuit to try and stop the pipeline. If it gets built they have no hope of stopping the tanker traffic. If this chemist guy from Langley is to be believed there may be no net change in tanker traffic through whale habitat, which if true makes it that much more important for the ENGOs to stop it now if the tanker traffic issue really is a red herring. https://achemistinlangley.net/2018/...ntalist-supports-the-trans-mountain-pipeline/

Oddly the experts who thought capture was a good idea are now silent and very little is being said about their mistake. Instead if you ask the guy on the street why the pod is in so much danger, he will tell you it’s just a food shortage because that seems to be the main drum the media constantly beats. While more salmon may be part of the solution, it’s by no means all of the solution!
The people who took the whales were not experts, they were business people who saw a way to make money like Bob Wright. The Vancouver Aquarium didn't have whale scientists on staff nor did DFO. There was no idea of how many existed, no realization there were separate resident populations, and no idea about Biggs whales. At the time fisherman, sport and commercial were as culpable as anyone, fully supporting the removals, as Orcas were considered salmon eating vermin. Commercial guys regularly shot at them, a few still have bullet scars. If you read any of the scientific literature these issues are all brought up. Over and over the big 3 issues are Toxin buildups, Salmon availability, Acoustic disturbance. Toxin buildup is a longer term problem, so the shorter term issues that can be affected are salmon availability and acoustic disturbance. The removals are in the past, nothing can be done to remedy them so get less attention. Another population of whales, the Biggs, were believed to be at or below 100 individuals during the time their food source was the target of extermination efforts, and recovered to 300 once the food source (seals) recovered, so there is some evidence that a population can rebound despite genetic compression. Biggs have even greater toxin concentrations than SRKW due to eating prey higher in the food chain. Is that recovery possible for the SRKW ? No one knows, it may be too late for them, but just maintaining the status quo it appears will result in their continued decline, so some actions need to be taken, and yes some of those actions will affect sport fisherman.

Last edited:
Back