MPA, 50,000 sq. Kilometres. And it begins. More to come.

OldBlackDog

Canada’s first protected marine area coming to B.C. coast after Shell gives up exploration permits
Shell voluntarily released about 50,000 square kilometres of permits in an area off northern Vancouver Island to allow for the creation of the Scott Islands marine National Wildlife Area.
The Canadian Press

Updated: September 13, 2018

0420-dolphins2-jpg.jpg

Common bottlenose dolphins have been observed for the first time in Canada's Pacific waters, far off northwestern Vancouver Island. Luke Halpin / for PNG

Shell Canada Ltd. has given up offshore exploration rights, clearing the way for the creation of Canada’s first protected marine area under the Canada Wildlife Act.

The company voluntarily released permits for about 50,000 square kilometres in an area off B.C.’s coast to allow for the creation of the Scott Islands marine National Wildlife Area.

The company’s rights cover an area more than 1.5 times the size of Vancouver Island, which is hard to value, said Shell Canada president Michael Crothers, at a news conference on Thursday. “I hope we get some goodwill (in return).”

Even as Shell continues to explore for oil and gas globally, Crothers said they have no plans to do so off coastal B.C., particularly since the waters off the west coast have been under an exploration moratorium since 1972.

In 2016, Shell donated its controversial Arctic energy exploration permits north of Baffin Island to make way for Canada’s third national marine protected area.

The Scott Islands marine area was established in June, and conserves a vital marine environment for millions of seabirds, fish and mammals on the Pacific coast.

The area, covering 11,546 square kilometres, is off the northwestern tip of Vancouver Island.

It provides breeding and nesting habitat for 40 per cent of the province’s seabirds, including 90 per cent of Canada’s tufted puffins and 95 per cent of Pacific Canada’s common murres, Environment Canada said in a news release.

The islands attract about five to 10 million migratory birds annually, many of which travel vast distances to feed on the abundance of small fish and zooplankton in the area. It is also important for other species at risk, and wildlife, the release said.

Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson said the federal government will provide $3.2 million over five years in funding for management of the area.This money will also support research and monitoring and help work towards removal of the seabirds’ predators.

Wilkinson said the existing fisheries restrictions in the area will be maintained and his department is consulting industry and conservation groups about new regulations that to further protect this area.

The regulations would prohibit fishing for certain species that are known to be sources of food for seabirds, he said.

“We will also be consulting with fish harvesters about regulations to prohibit groundfish, bottom trawling in portions of the marine national wildlife area.”

The Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society welcomed the announcement, which comes after nearly 17 years of consultation with federal, provincial and First Nations governments.

“I think it’s a fantastic move that those permits are going to be gone and they will no longer be a threat that any of those permits will be developed for offshore oil and gas if there’s a change in government,” said Sabine Jessen, national director of the society. “I actually hope that some of the other companies that continue to hold licenses and permits in the area will follow suit.”

I guess you never know with how completely unreliable dfo is of their word but last I heard from rec fishermen about this area it was well known this was going to occur and rec fishing would not be affected, just fishing for bait species and trawling as stated. Like I said, who knows with DFO and last min changes of heart though.

I guess you never know with how completely unreliable dfo is of their word but last I heard from rec fishermen about this area it was well known this was going to occur and rec fishing would not be affected, just fishing for bait species and trawling as stated. Like I said, who knows with DFO and last min changes of heart though.

This line sucks though and makes me suspicious.

Wilkinson said the existing fisheries restrictions in the area will be maintained and his department is consulting industry and conservation groups about new regulations that to further protect this area.

Yeah your right SV, its like a critical habitat designation, Once an area is designated an MPA management actions and closures are easier to put in place.

"
Step 5: MPA Management
A well-defined MPA management framework increases certainty and predictability for oceans users. It also tailors MPA management towards achievement of stated MPA goals and objectives, resulting in more effective and efficient protection. This may yield greater ecological benefits and associated ecosystem goods and services.

The key elements to the MPA management framework are the Conservation Objectives, the MPA Management Plan; the MPA Monitoring Plan (which includes monitoring indicators, protocols and strategies); Compliance and Enforcement; and Public Education and Outreach. The MPA Management Plan provides guidance to affected and interested parties on the MPA regulations and associated regulatory measures, as well as on non-regulatory measures (e.g., best management practices, public awareness through communications) to achieve the MPA objectives. Stakeholders are given the opportunity to provide their input into the initial draft MPA Management Plan prior to its finalization and into subsequent revisions of the plan.

When MPA management is supported by a monitoring framework, managers can make informed decisions to adaptively manage the MPA, resulting in more effective MPA management. A monitoring framework also ensures that monitoring is strategic, efficient, and makes use of collaborative arrangements where possible.MPA regulations follow a life-cycle approach, meaning that attention is given not only to regulatory development but also to the implementation, monitoring, evaluation and review of regulations. As a result, the life cycle approach improves the effectiveness, efficiency, and accountability of the regulatory system to support the government's commitment to Canadians."

Yes true. Although next Line he states those would be for fisheries of baitfish birds eat. Don’t trust dfo so never know.

'DFO should not impose restrictions or limitations on what the Mi'kmaq of Nova Scotia can harvest'
Paul Withers · CBC News · Posted: Sep 17, 2018 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 10 hours ago

marine-protected-areas-advisory-panel.jpg

Nova Scotia Mi'kmaq chiefs say Indigenous fishermen should be exempt from any prohibition on fishing within marine protected areas because of First Nations' treaty rights.

"Our concerns and our input should have a greater weight in the decision making process than those of, for example, non-Mi'kmaw commercial fishers," said Twila Gaudet, director of consultation for the Assembly of Nova Scotia Mi'kmaq Chiefs.

That statement was part of a submission made to a federal advisory panel charged with developing standards for marine protected areas. The Trudeau government has committed to protect 10 per cent of coastal waters and oceans by 2020.

The advisory panel is supposed to release its recommendations this month on what activities should and should not be allowed inside the protected areas.

The key issue is no-take zones where fishing and offshore energy development would be prohibited.

In their submission, the Mi'kmaq chiefs say First Nations have demonstrated their commitment to conservation but their rights to fish for a moderate living and their food, social and ceremonial fishery supercede any international commitments.

"To be clear, DFO should not impose restrictions or limitations on what the Mi'kmaq of Nova Scotia can harvest in MPAs," Gaudet said.

The question of no-take zones has come to dominate the debate over the province's Eastern Shore Islands.

nova-scotia-marine-protected-areas.jpg

The waters around the Eastern Shore Islands of Nova Scotia, shown in a handout photo, have been announced by Fisheries and Oceans Canada as an 'area of interest' for a marine protected area. (Peter Green/Canadian Press)
The sprawling and pristine archipelago east of Halifax is the first proposed marine protected area with an active inshore lobster fishery.

There is a fear among those that fish in the area that a no-take zone designation could bump them from lobster grounds.

Last week, a local advisory committee held a public consultation at a local legion to discuss activities in the marine area.

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans "does not expect there to be an impact on the lobster fishery" if the Eastern Shore Islands are designated as marine protected area, DFO ocean manager Wendy Williams said during a break.

peter-connors.jpg

Peter Connors, president of the Eastern Shore Fishermen's Protective Association, says he'd like to see a single commercial fishery that includes the Mi'kmaq. (CBC)
That didn't satisfy fisherman Peter Connors, who also represents 170 lobster licence holders in the area through the Eastern Shore Fishermen's Protective Association.

"Nobody will say it's not going to have some kind of impact. They are going to try and minimize the impact. The words are crafted so there is room to manoeuvre there," he said.

'A big issue'
"No take is a big issue because it would be so dislocating. We have a territorial fishery. Some of the disputes that have taken place over the years, we all have a certain amount of territory here that we all respect, for the most part."

He wants a commitment from the federal government to prevent the fishery from being damaged if the area received a marine protected designation.

Long-time environmental activist Susanna Fuller agrees.

"We probably need to take that off the table as the initial starting point," she said. "Confirm that recreational fisheries can still happen, confirm that the lobster fishery will be maintained."

With the lobster fishery running just two months of the year, even if no-take zones are best practices, this isn't the hill to die on, she said.

'We probably have to go back to ground zero'
"If we want this process to lead to an MPA, we probably have to go back to ground zero and start again, and think about the objectives of the entire community and how do we get there," Fuller said.

"And the no take seems to be a real sticking point even if it's not going to impact most of the users. If it's a hot potato, get rid of the hot potato. That is my advice."

lobster-season-20110430.jpg

Lobster fishermen load traps onto their boats. (Nathan Rochford/Canadian Press)
Live-lobster exporter Stewart Lamont does not buy what he calls the "myth" that the lobster fishery will be threatened by marine protection.

He said DFO knows it is a fundamental part of the economy in the area and has a low impact on marine life in the Eastern Shore area.

The designation is a chance to promote the Eastern Shore, already featured in a Nova Scotia Nature Trust campaign to protect "100 Wild Islands" located in the proposed marine protected area.

"I can imagine what it could be here in the Eastern Shore. This is, as we say, an under-performing region in Nova Scotia," Lamont said.

"It has all the potential in the world — coupled with 100 Wild Islands, coupled with experiential tourism, coupled with the greater value of and the wonderful biomass here in our wild fisheries. It's all part of a piece that we can use as a platform for economic sustainability."

st-anns-bank-cape-breton-nova-scotia.jpg

St. Anns Bank in Cape Breton is on the list of marine protected areas in Nova Scotia. (Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada)
The Mi'kmaq submission to the panel does not surprise Connors.

"Our association has always supported reconciliation. Our position is for a single fishery including the Mi'kmaq and bringing them into the commercial fishery, on the same basis that everybody else does here," he said.

In a statement to CBC News, Twila Gaudet said the Mi'kmaq are currently in consultations with DFO on marine protected areas.

"While we of course support marine conservation, we also want to ensure that DFO carefully considers all impacts that MPA designations will have on Mi'kmaq rights," she said.

"The MPA network design must accommodate the Aboriginal and treaty rights of the Mi'kmaq of Nova Scotia, and our ability to fish for a moderate livelihood, as well as other Mi'kmaq fishing activities."

Isn’t it interesting that DFO is having meetings on the east coast , yet nothing here?

You nervous yet?

OBD do you think they are going to turn the SRKW critical habitat into an MPA?

Yes I think that will be done.

Do you think they’ll stop rec fishing there? I know dfo is dumb but can’t see them doing that. And MPA are mainly about protecting bottom structures. Rec fishing doesn’t hurt that at all.

Not up north but down south where fishing has already been closed for SRKW. yeah i think a real possibility.

A marine protected area is an area of sea that forms part of the internal waters of Canada, the territorial sea of Canada or the exclusive economic zone of Canada and has been designated under this section for special protection for one or more of the following reasons:

1. the conservation and protection of commercial and non-commercial fishery resources, including marine mammals, and their habitats;
  2. the conservation and protection of endangered or threatened marine species, and their habitats;
  3. the conservation and protection of unique habitats;
  4. the conservation and protection of marine areas of high biodiversity or biological productivity; and
  5. the conservation and protection of any other marine resource or habitat as is necessary to fulfill the mandate of the Minister (of Fisheries and Oceans Canada).

Questions you need to ask yourself.

Were you or a group asked to go to any of these meetings?

When are the next meetings and how do you get input?

Note that the commercial sector is at all the meetings and is respected.

The commercial sector there is extremely political and will as has done in the past get in the politicians face.

Questions you need to ask yourself.

Were you or a group asked to go to any of these meetings?

When are the next meetings and how do you get input?

Note that the commercial sector is at all the meetings and is respected.

The commercial sector there is extremely political and will as has done in the past get in the politicians face.

Last sentence I’ve been saying our groups representing us should be doing that/protests. Then all
You hear is that’ll go sideways quick etc ... works well for other groups and we are always last. Hmmm

Last sentence I’ve been saying our groups representing us should be doing that/protests. Then all
You hear is that’ll go sideways quick etc ... works well for other groups and we are always last. Hmmm

As I said and others on here before you are welcome to lead us Dave. Everyone is a little busy trying to make sure we get a salmon fishery next year. With what is risk personally for you and your business I would be putting your hand up right now to help and your wallet. Its going to get very rough.

As for Blackdog. Questions you need to ask yourself is what I am posting right now helping the situation or not?

Well, the Greens have been working on it all summer.

It will mean as much to people who fish as killer whales and halibut mean .

Going to be a busy winter.

As I said and others on here before you are welcome to lead us Dave. Everyone is a little busy trying to make sure we get a salmon fishery next year. With what is risk personally for you and your business I would be putting your hand up right now to help and your wallet. Its going to get very rough.

As for Blackdog. Questions you need to ask yourself is what I am posting right now helping the situation or not?

If the long game in these whale refuges is to turn them into MPA's . Which I suspect might be the case, then yes, what OBD is posting is relevant.

Back