I can't believe you guys are still fishing for chinooks don't you know they are endangered just like our SRKW's , you should leave them alone so the whales can have them, try thinking of others before your self, especially you Englishman polluting the air and using all that dirty oil, you should be ashamed of yourself :rolleyes::eek::(

I can't believe you guys are still fishing for chinooks don't you know they are endangered just like our SRKW's , you should leave them alone so the whales can have them, try thinking of others before your self, especially you Englishman polluting the air and using all that dirty oil, you should be ashamed of yourself :rolleyes::eek::(
Love your tongue in cheek humor Jackel!!
Do hope all the readers see the humour in your post.

There are no Chinook in Sooke.
Cutpluggers in Renfrew intercepted them all.
Cutpluggers are the demise of SRKW's!!!

There are no Chinook in Sooke.
Cutpluggers in Renfrew intercepted them all.
Cutpluggers are the demise of SRKW's!!!

Whoa, you know that these fish do not come by Renfrew they just fall out of the sky around Sheringham lighthouse and swim by Sooke. :D , plus a dozen pluggers don't do too much damage....

I don't know why you would still be fishing chinook, There are some beautiful coho out there right now, And they are some of the best table fair of the year. I had one for dinner last night and was the best salmon I have had all year.

Fished in 450-500ft this morning. We managed to get 4 hatch coho's in the 5-7lb range. Some of the wilds we released were in the 8-10lb range but nothing bigger. My buddy also landed a couple of small springs, 5-6lbs. Early morning, 7-10 am we were hitting Coho at 40-50ft on DR but found them to be in the 70-85ft from 10-1pm. Awesome day on the water. Saw lots of nets out.

lol

Can anyone tell me what this boat is off Beechey Head area around 12:30pm yesterday - https://imgur.com/a/Bv1V9db

I hope it's fisheries testing? We first saw it way out in mid channel, it worked it's way up past Sooke then came around toward us slowed down then dropped the net for about 20 minutes.

I'm quite sure that vessel is replacing the Coast Guard vessel "Ricker" that did test sample fishing for DFO by dragging a net. The Coast Guard has a new ship to replace the Ricker its just not finished yet.

I don't know why you would still be fishing chinook, There are some beautiful coho out there right now, And they are some of the best table fair of the year. I had one for dinner last night and was the best salmon I have had all year.
Not to mention they fight like hell! Love me a good coho.

Yesterday we anchored up south of Constance for the tail end of the flood and start of the ebb with only dogfish for our efforts. Headed west when the ebb got too strong and tried for an hour just east of Race where the ebb was more manageable with no luck. Not sure if a null report is all that useful but may make others who got skunked feel better :).

Out today looking for halibut, out front of Sooke in 340' or so of water.....No Butts just 3 dogs. Nice and flat on the water with some fog that moved in later in the day. Got a nice wild coho just spin casting that was a lot of fun.

Friday the coho fishing was epic. Limited out with 6 hatchery before 8am and then fished springs and found two, biggest was about 12 pounds. Today the Coho were MIA early but we hit a 15 pound white spring in 500 ft of water going like hell with a short leader. Switched to springs and landed a 21 pound white and a 5 pound feeder. Two nice flat calm days and great catches.
friday.jpg

saturday.jpg

It was a very interesting day. Started out front of trap running 4 rods two anchovies below and two spoons on top at 35, 55, 75, 95’ in 300’ of water trolled westward. Got into 400’ zone. Nothing. On fish finder we saw arches in 120’ and 180’ area. Decided to give it a try at those depth. Right after adjusting depth got into a double header. Ended up with a #12 red spring and a #5 red spring. Just as we put those springs into cooler and high fives we had a pin popper. 11 yrs old son brought it to the surface the fish swam towards boat he couldn’t crank fast enough with the knuckle lost tension and the fish flipped and off it goes. We rest port side rods and when pulled up the fourth rod to reset the anchovie only had head left. For next hour or so between my daughter and my son they lost 9 cohos right by boat side just outside of net reach. (Time for a long handle net). It went quiet for nearly an hour and we are now seeing arches at depth covering 220’-260’. Lowered rods down to 200’,220’,240’,260’. Got two hatch hos on the 220’ and 240’ one right after another, lost 3 more and had 6+ take downs only to find anchovies been chomped either only head left or half fish left. On last reset just as I was about to put the fish line in the downrigger clip a Coho took the anchovie right at the surface. I frantically grab the rod from rod holder tried to reel the fish in but it was not hookset properly the ho became unbuttoned after couple of seconds’ play.

Oh and today only came across a few very small bait balls they were mostly down deep at 180’ range.

It was a very interesting day. Started out front of trap running 4 rods two anchovies below and two spoons on top at 35, 55, 75, 95’ in 300’ of water trolled westward. Got into 400’ zone. Nothing. On fish finder we saw arches in 120’ and 180’ area. Decided to give it a try at those depth. Right after adjusting depth got into a double header. Ended up with a #12 red spring and a #5 red spring. Just as we put those springs into cooler and high fives we had a pin popper. 11 yrs old son brought it to the surface the fish swam towards boat he couldn’t crank fast enough with the knuckle lost tension and the fish flipped and off it goes. We rest port side rods and when pulled up the fourth rod to reset the anchovie only had head left. For next hour or so between my daughter and my son they lost 9 cohos right by boat side just outside of net reach. (Time for a long handle net). It went quiet for nearly an hour and we are now seeing arches at depth covering 220’-260’. Lowered rods down to 200’,220’,240’,260’. Got two hatch hos on the 220’ and 240’ one right after another, lost 3 more and had 6+ take downs only to find anchovies been chomped either only head left or half fish left. On last reset just as I was about to put the fish line in the downrigger clip a Coho took the anchovie right at the surface. I frantically grab the rod from rod holder tried to reel the fish in but it was not hookset properly the ho became unbuttoned after couple of seconds’ play.

Oh and today only came across a few very small bait balls they were mostly down deep at 180’ range.
Mozart,
Are you using stingers on your chovies? I got @Original into them and he’s caught many beauties on them.
Sounds like it was an exciting time for you out there. Congrats!

Drove out from Vic for solo pm fish yesterday. Spoon one side, small plug the other above dummy flashers. Trolled for 10 minutes.... nice wild on the plug, while landing it see that there is a shaker on the other side. Pop off the wild, flip the plug over the side and let out two pulls, Small Coho hits it 12 feet behind boat, hatchery, eye-hooked, damn, honour-bound to keep it although only 3 pounds. Flip the plug over the side again, put it in the clip, turn around to deal with shaker. Second fish picks the plug off the surface, another hatchery, 6lb. Release the shaker on the other side. Done without getting the rod back down.

The bigger Coho looks like it has one herring and one juvenile salmon in its stomach. Both stomachs packaged up for our UVic project

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...ational-salmon-diet-monitoring-program.64885/

Sooke anglers, remember we are keen to get samples from you. See the thread above and pm me with your email address if you need more info. We are particularly keen on getting Coho samples through the fall and winter Chinook samples as these are harder to come by. Stomachs can be dropped off at Eagle Eye in their freezer. Record (at a minimum) your email, date, species, length, catch location, hatch/wild in pencil and include with the sample. All entries in 2018 with complete data will be entered in a draw for an Islander MR2 (thank you to Islander for the donation).

Are you using stingers on your chovies? I got @Original into them and he’s caught many beauties on them.
Sounds like it was an exciting time for you out there. Congrats![/QUOTE]

Hi Stizzla, no I’ve not used stingers before. Do you recommend single hook or run treble for the stinger?

Thank you

If you’re going to sort through wild coho it’s sometimes a good idea to leave the bait at home. It can be tough to release fish on treble/stinger setups and they will eagerly take artificial. Small single hooks on spoons/hootchies help minimize mortality.

Hi Stizzla, no I’ve not used stingers before. Do you recommend single hook or run treble for the stinger?

Single. Here’s the way I do mine:

Last edited:
Back