First Day With A Spey Rod

Day three never occurred for the Spey. When I am trying a new method or new type of reel I always bring back up. I remember trying to learn my center pin reel. I decided to only bring it and the river was too high to be able to cast but if I had the level wind or spinning reel I would have been able to fish. The worst insult as I saw steelheads and couldn't get to them.
I approached the river today and it was to low in the area I was going to fish with the Spey and the run was to narrow so I went to the level wind. Drifting my float with a bead. The angler down river from me hooks into a very nice coho, using a bead. He allowed the bead to rest on the hook. He said the hook was in the coho tongue. So dangerous close to the gills if you were going to release the fish. This just reinforced the technique why to place the bead 2 inches above the hook as I have always never had a hook in the gills. This is another topic so please those flamers don't start. Let's wait till my bead posting hahahahaha . Three hours of casting and drifting resulted with two huge Cohos hooked on. Great fight and they both won the battle. I saw three other anglers land salmon and was jealous but that's why they call it fishing.

Last edited:
We finally had an opportunity to get out on the water in a local Vancouver Island river and go for a fish looking for salmon, trout and steelhead. It wasn't long before we found a few to salmon to play and release. In this little creek we found some trout and salmon...mostly pinks and chinook. I think that it is still a bit early for coho or chum in this ditch. It was fun none the less and I was lucky enough to christen my new HARDY Jet. Spey to play... pure snobbery. ha! :)
Mr stormtrooper
Just love it when everything works out..... lets hope the run improves. watch out for the evil empire

Haven't made the move to Spey but just started using a switch. Super fun way to fish. The battle between gear and fly continues. I do both depending on situation. Certainly have had experiences with gear flying to close to my line or body then flys. Just saying

Secound day with the Spey

Today was Spey rod day. I ventured to the Puntledge River in Comox today to experience a large salmon on the Spey fly rod. I made sure to leave the center pin at home as it’s to easy to switch when angling gets tough.

As I approached the first hole a Spey angler was already covering the top section. I asked if he didn’t mind me below him. He gave me the thumbs up. As I started to cast he gets one on and is panicking as a seal came up and wanted his Chum salmon. He eventually landed it but I wanted no issues with a seal.

I moved up river and found another perfect hole but covered by two anglers from England. One angler Craig was the center pinner and the other John was the Spey angler. After watching them it was the enter pinner hooking into the salmon.

I picked my position to fish but could not get the casts off properly. This was only my secound day out with the Spey. John watched and then came over a showed me were my error was in creating the D loop. After watching him he coached me on casting and what a difference. Lets hope I remember it next time out.

The casts were getting longer and I made sure I mended the line. I was beginning to give up on the day with 3 hours of no success. By 11 am though a fresh batch of Chum salmon entered the river and I covered them. As the mend allowed the fly to drop down and I felt a tap tap tap thinking it was the bottom till I raised the rod then all hell broke loose and the salmon now realized he was hooked. What a fight. My first Chum on the Spey fly rod and John took lots of photos. My day could not get any better but I was wrong as I hooked into another Chum salmon. Both salmon were very fresh and silvery.

What a perfect day for my adventure with the Amundson Outdoors Wind Warrior Spey rod

Attachments

• PA180024 2.jpeg
    PA180024 2.jpeg
    982.7 KB · Views: 56
  • PA190034 2.jpeg
    PA190034 2.jpeg
    646.7 KB · Views: 56
  • PA180013 2.jpeg
    PA180013 2.jpeg
    589.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I didn't know whether to put this article in this thread or have it on its own. I invite you to the article in its full format at this following url...

https://castingalineblog.wordpress.com/2018/11/28/my-journey-to-the-spey/

Here is the story
PA180015.jpeg
My adventure into Spey casting

I have always been amazed at the fluid motions the Spey anglers achieve with very little effort in their cast. This technique origin in the history books developed in 1880 originating from England. That, of course, is another amazing story.

Often I am in a situation was I can’t backcast to obtain the distance I require in targeting the salmon. Spey casting and its many casting techniques allow the angler to obtain a long forward casting distance without worry of the structure behind them.

I am proficient with the single hand fly-fishing rods and this would be a great challenge to expand my ability.

My targets were salmon and steelheads. From the small Pink salmon to the powerhouse Chinook and chum salmons. I felt I needed a rod with a strong backbone to handle the Chinook salmon, Chum salmon, and the Coho salmon. I have caught these brutes in the past with a single hand rod and I felt a 9wt was more appropriated for me. I didn’t want to extend the fight longer than needed, which would occur with a lighter weight rod as I was catching and releasing.

After talking to various veteran Spey anglers who graciously shared their own individual techniques. Each angler was different. They had evolved their own system and customized their line set up that produced the best cast for themselves.

It is very confusing on how to complete this setup. There is a lot of videos available on the web that helped with various casting techniques. The vast amount of information on running lines, sink or float and many different kinds of shooting heads and sinking tips. I still found it difficult to zone in on what I wanted to achieve with my limited ability and what various tackle to acquire.

It is easy to get confused with all the various lines and techniques. The first difference is your main line, floating and/or sinking lines. I knew from experience with a single-hand fly rod it was easier to learn using a floating line. They were easier to lift off the water, easier to mend and also to cast.

I wanted a floating line with an ability to add various sinking speed tips for the various flow speed and depths I needed to get to my targets. It also would have to handle the big salmon flies weighted or nonweighted.

There are two different types of casting lines, one being the Skagit casting line. It was developed around the Skagit River in Washington State. Skagit casting is fairly short and heavy line that is good for casting large flies in big sections of the river. Another is called the Scandi casting line. Scandi is a shortened name for Scandinavia where it was developed. It’s a type of Spey casting that generally uses lines that are a little longer and a little ‘thinner’ than Skagit casting, and it’s more appropriate with smaller flies.

One of the largest fly line manufacturers has a site that actually will balance out all the various weighted lines, running lines, shooting heads and sinking tapers. It starts with what is your target. For me, it is only for salmon. The size of the rivers and distance I want to achieve in my cast. Throwing large weighted salmon flies was important. The length and line weight of your rod combined with your ability. I know I will eventually evolve and have my own combination but this is a solid way to start for a novice.

I settled on the manufactures recommendations 30 pound Dacron backing, Powerflex max .035, 100-foot float shooting line, Skagit floating shooting head 625-gr 20 foot and a sinking Skagit MOW T11 10 foot sinking tip.

Depending on the river flow speed and depth the angler should carry an assortment of sinking speed tips. These sinking tips are measured by how fast or how many inches per second they sink.

Once I had the combinations of lines it was time to focus on the reel. I noticed if any reel had the name SPEY on it was very expensive.

What I knew from fly-fishing a single hand rod was that the reel was to be aluminum, sealed bearings, and most important disc brakes to handle the powerful run the large fish can place on your reel. A veteran Spey angler said I should research for a single hand reel with those specs and choose a reel two sizes larger than the weighted line I was going to use. I settled on a single hand fly reel for 11 wt. the line that loaded all the lines with a little space left over.

My leader started with 20-pound mono, then dropped to 15 pounds and then to 12 pounds allowing easier break offs if required without risking the loss or damage to the fly lines. Clear shallow waters required long leaders. High silted waters required shorter leaders to reach your target.

For flies, I selected salmon cone head tube flies as I could easily change up flies without changing leaders. Another selection was marabou flies weighted and un-weighted. The un-weighted flies would allow me to fish the shallows without snagging up.

There is a lot to learn with the different types of casting. I was told to stay with the basic D casting. I needed to learn to cast left or right side to be able to cover the various accesses. The modern-day social media allows an angler to watch many various pros showing, instructing how to handle the two-handed Spey rod. I started mimicking the movement in a grassy field. After lots of practice, I venture to the water just to practice so no hook that brought some attention to onlookers.

My first river to cover was the Cowichan River on Vancouver Island. With a drift boat, there is a lot of beaches and different water flows an angler can approach and cover. The river that day proved that I needed to have a larger selection of sinking speed tips. As a right-hander, I just loved the way the line shoots out. I needed to improve my left side casting techniques though. I found my synchronization flow off my cast was off on the left side.

The next river I covered was the Campbell River for Pink Salmon. I ventured to the fly zone only and spent 5 hours of delight catching Pink salmon. This river flowed from my left to my right. Perfect for the right-hander.

Next adventure came from the Puntledge River for the Chum salmon. Now, this was challenging as the river flowed from my right to my left. Casting from the left was difficult. After 2 hours I was going to give up but a fine gentleman from Scotland was casting a Spey rod also and approached me. He offered some guidance and that's all I needed. I eventually got that technique and started to throw excellent casts. Mending the line I reached an area were a few fresh chums were laying and bam I had my first silver chum salmon on. I laughed when my daughter caught her first coho. Well, she would have had laughed at me as I screamed with excitement just like her.

I have now caught Pinks and chum salmon on my bucket list. Next season will be for the spring salmon and the Coho salmon.

As it is said to practice makes perfect and so begins my own development to the world of Spey fly-fishing.

Last edited:
Back