Slow day started at Pedder and after endless shakers and one big hit, moved to the Trap.Lots of bait but only a few shakers, big currents. Moved to the Head and finally hooked into an nice fish only to have a sea lion not only take the fish but my tackle too. Then watched it play with the fish for 5 mins before eating it. I would guess fish was between 20 and 25 pounds having seen it up close in the mouth of the sea lion. That may be it for my summer fishing. Bad enough dealing with seals at Trap, now sea lions at Head.

Friday out with Pretty Boyd Floyd, awesome day out, 9 hours 6-3pm, 1 fish on at trap for a bit lost, a few other bait hits, fished everywhere, hi and low was not our day unfortunately.

Saturday fished solo different day, fished Otter, 1st time this season was about 40 boats there. Tons of action. Went thru 2.5 packs of bait. 2 spring 12 and 6, 5 sockeye, 2 wild coho. Many fish on and lost and many many hits, kept 12lb spring and 2 sockeye. Released the rest looking for bigger did not happen beautiful day. 8.5 / 10 day, rain came 2pm and obeyed the restrictions although it was difficult. Otherwise would have been 10/10 day.

Everyone was pretty good at obeying the boundary except when tide was ebbing in the morning. Everytime someone would go past the boundary they would hook up lol

To the people on the rocks taking pictures and binoculars go back to the old folks home play crib and drink pepto nothing to see here just fisherman having a nice day so *$#& off! And go for a walk.

Was fishing yesterday afternoon. Started at 4:30 pm at Otterpoint and had it all to myself. No other boat. Flat calm water and rain. Later another boat joined. Fishing there produced a wild coho 8lbs and a chinook 6 lbs. Both I released. At about 6:30pm I switched over to Secretary and kept fishing till about 8 pm. No success here.

Good for us too. We tried the trap for springs first thing, nothing doing except for a hook nosed beauty of a wild coho. Turned out into the deep and caught another dozen or socoho, keeping 4. Tshirt weather!
T2

What a great weather day out there. No springs from trap to secretary ended with 7 coho to the boat only 3 were hatchery lost at least a half doz more

Afternoon shift at Otter didn't see any springs but from 1 -4 pm had double and triple headers of coho. The triple produced two hatchery and kept another on the double. Caught the largest coho I have had in years, a 15-16lb hooked nose wild male that was send safely back and released another 9-10lb wild. Betsy combo at 80' seemed to get best action. Moved down to secretary til 5:30 without a bite.

Typically enough springs around until at least the 15th of September that I don't switch to Coho gear or areas until after that date. As SV said some of the biggest fish of the year are caught in September. In fact the largest in modern times was Earl Mcdermit's 67.12 pound spring taken on I believe Sept 29th. I took a 45 pounder as late as Oct 3rd off the bluffs while fishing Coho.
Lol, Ole Earl, aka The Green Mile, quite the character, always good for a laugh, to bad he gave the sport up :)

Hauled my boat to Sooke yesterday and enjoyed a stellar day. Dead flat and mostly sunny all day. And similar to others, the Coho were biting for us. Started at Secretary where we worked out into 400' of water. Not much happening but did manage a small Sockeye. Moved to Otter for the ebb change and were rewarded with some action. Managed two hatches amongst some other wild releases including a very strong 10-12 pound wild Coho that gave us quite a fight. Things got quiet after about 1 pm. Worked back to Secretary and fished from there to Beechy through the afternoon flood. Lots of bait and fish showing but the bite didn't come on for us. Seemed pretty quiet for other boats too. Fished anchovies all day.

I don't fish Sooke very often but yesterday was a great reminder what a great location this is. Certainly hope that the Feds don't further impose their misguided and ultimately irrelevant restrictions to deflect the real reasons as to why the Orca's are declining.

Thanks to @cby for sharing his Sooke strategy.

Fished Tuesday AM, fog from the harbour mouth to Otter, the current (ebb) was too strong to stay outside of the nofishing zone so headed out into deep water. Stayed in legal water but no fish. Then headed for deep water (550') off the bluffs and was rewarded with tons of action. Fished 70', 40', plus a shallow line. Short white UV squirt on the 70' , anchovy on the 40'. 3 clipped keepers, 2 over 9 lbs, lost count of the wilds, easily 9+ and several that were over 10#. I hope the run keeps active until my fishin' day next week.

Fished Tuesday AM, fog from the harbour mouth to Otter, the current (ebb) was too strong to stay outside of the nofishing zone so headed out into deep water. Stayed in legal water but no fish. Then headed for deep water (550') off the bluffs and was rewarded with tons of action. Fished 70', 40', plus a shallow line. Short white UV squirt on the 70' , anchovy on the 40'. 3 clipped keepers, 2 over 9 lbs, lost count of the wilds, easily 9+ and several that were over 10#. I hope the run keeps active until my fishin' day next week.
Way to go! Why does Cathie always want to travel at this time of year I sure hope that run of cohos stays until I get back next week

Can anyone tell me what this boat is off Beechey Head area around 12:30pm yesterday - https://imgur.com/a/Bv1V9db

I hope it's fisheries testing? We first saw it way out in mid channel, it worked it's way up past Sooke then came around toward us slowed down then dropped the net for about 20 minutes.

Can anyone tell me what this boat is off Beechey Head area around 12:30pm yesterday - https://imgur.com/a/Bv1V9db

I hope it's fisheries testing? We first saw it way out in mid channel, it worked it's way up past Sooke then came around toward us slowed down then dropped the net for about 20 minutes.

Might be dfo boat ..doing tests and research. This type of boat upsets lots of us thinking this boat take all the fish out. But it s a dfo boat.

Probably a mid level dragger doing test fishery would be my guess too

Canada should follow the lead of other nations and outlaw this type of fishing as it causes all sorts of environmental damage (damage to the sea floor, destruction of large amount of marine life due to unintended by catch deaths, etc.) It is shameful and illogical that this type of destructive fishing is still allowed in Canada! :mad:

That ship looks to be the Northern Alliance, a factory trawler owned by Select Seafoods. No idea what they would trawling for near Beechy. Maybe they were working on repairing or testing gear.

Back