2018 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

just finished four days, seems like the springs may be coming to an end, out of our 14, 13 where males. pretty sure this is a sign of end the run. hopefully more come in. harbour entrance and the tack down to swail produced most of our springs . we did not need to run out for coho as we where in on a dozen with the biggest being 14lbs. all the coho where caught and balance of springs at whittlestone to beale. i prefer a clear green teaser head, 8' leader 30' down and approx 30' back from the clip. hootchie was holding its own also. 30" leader.. back at bam friday for some tuners. hopefully it works out!!

Returned from Bamfield on Sunday. Went for a quick weekend fishing trip that started with leaving skagit county on thursday evening to arrive in Bam town at 2am. Managed an hour or two of shuteye before heading out in the 14' Livingston to look for a bite. Started at Whittlestone and it didnt disappoint. Managed 4 springs in the 10-15 lb range and a nice coho buck at 10lbs in 2 hours. All fish were in the 25'-40' range. 3 were on purple haze herring hood, no flasher. 1 was on a green herring hood with red flasher, and the last on a 3.9" Old Goat2 in green and black, with a chili pepper moonjelly flasher. Too bad to limit so early with the bite on. Decided to troll back to grappler for coho and hooked up way out between Aguilar and Brady beach, a much heavier fish that fought and took line but in the end shook the hook, also on the OG2.

Friday we fished for 8 hours at Whittlestone without a touch, boats around us were hooking up with what looked like small springs, coho, and a few decent fish close to the rocks, though we did see a few fall to the seal. Tried changing everything up, anchovies, herring, leader length, flashers, no flasher, speed, depth -->NADA. Went home with our tails between our legs, napped, and went to Kirby for the evening where it was dead for an hour, so we ran to the wall and managed a nice 12lb coho that quite literally tried to jump into the boat and my pops managed to net it in midair, definitely a good story. Had one other fish on that slipped the hook and another drive by.

Sunday morning at the wall zero touches.

Road in was good especially with no other rigs on the road at midnight, and out it was a bit dusty but made Alberni in 1 hr 45 min.

RCMP has had no luck in locating our boat trailer or camper in Port Alberni, though they have apparently made an arrrest, so I hope they break the guys hands until he squeals. They found beer cans, crack pipe, and blood in our vehicle when it was found that led them to the suspect.

Always beautiful in Barkley Sound and am starting to think 3 day trips are close to worth it even though it is exhausting.

Nah

Still lots of Springs their captain !!
Pill and swale are dead , probably because they got hit by 500 boats for four days over the derby , still a lot of nice springs coming in here at the nook , and let’s just say very close to home , and the Coho have really moved in now , tables still loaded yesterday,,,

M2b

FD

Last edited:
Returned from Bamfield on Sunday. Went for a quick weekend fishing trip that started with leaving skagit county on thursday evening to arrive in Bam town at 2am. Managed an hour or two of shuteye before heading out in the 14' Livingston to look for a bite. Started at Whittlestone and it didnt disappoint. Managed 4 springs in the 10-15 lb range and a nice coho buck at 10lbs in 2 hours. All fish were in the 25'-40' range. 3 were on purple haze herring hood, no flasher. 1 was on a green herring hood with red flasher, and the last on a 3.9" Old Goat2 in green and black, with a chili pepper moonjelly flasher. Too bad to limit so early with the bite on. Decided to troll back to grappler for coho and hooked up way out between Aguilar and Brady beach, a much heavier fish that fought and took line but in the end shook the hook, also on the OG2.

Friday we fished for 8 hours at Whittlestone without a touch, boats around us were hooking up with what looked like small springs, coho, and a few decent fish close to the rocks, though we did see a few fall to the seal. Tried changing everything up, anchovies, herring, leader length, flashers, no flasher, speed, depth -->NADA. Went home with our tails between our legs, napped, and went to Kirby for the evening where it was dead for an hour, so we ran to the wall and managed a nice 12lb coho that quite literally tried to jump into the boat and my pops managed to net it in midair, definitely a good story. Had one other fish on that slipped the hook and another drive by.

Sunday morning at the wall zero touches.

Road in was good especially with no other rigs on the road at midnight, and out it was a bit dusty but made Alberni in 1 hr 45 min.

RCMP has had no luck in locating our boat trailer or camper in Port Alberni, though they have apparently made an arrrest, so I hope they break the guys hands until he squeals. They found beer cans, crack pipe, and blood in our vehicle when it was found that led them to the suspect.

Always beautiful in Barkley Sound and am starting to think 3 day trips are close to worth it even though it is exhausting.

Hello,
Thanks for the great report, I’m thinking of making a run out to Barkley Sound as well (last ditch effort to fill freezer), I’m hesiatant to leave vehicle in Port Alberni. Is that where the theft occurred? Is this an ongoing theme?

Hello,
Thanks for the great report, I’m thinking of making a run out to Barkley Sound as well (last ditch effort to fill freezer), I’m hesiatant to leave vehicle in Port Alberni. Is that where the theft occurred? Is this an ongoing theme?

Yes I heard chatter on the radio over the weekend and another truck stolen and trashed to the point of write off.

I have left my SUV and boat trailer several times over the past years including twice this year with no issues in Alberni. Surprised to read this.

Hello,

The RCMP says that crime has increased by 40% on the island in the past year. Apparently this is in part due to the increase in vagrants and drug abuse running rampant. The truck, camper, and boat trailer were stolen out of the overflow parking lot near the ford dealership. You just never think it would happen to you. Not sure what can be done to keep yourself safe besides parking under lights on more heavier traveled roads. They really like Ford trucks, and knew exactly how to get in, start it, and bypass security systems. They deserve a bullet.

I have had 2x attempted break-ins while parked at Clutesi. After each incident, the RCMP simply stated that it was a common problem and to keep all valuables hidden (which I do anyway).

Lots of doper's doing a lot of **** in Nanaimo and Port Alberni. ..when are the RCMP going to get on shift and tackle the problem? It's getting out of hand.RCMP
Get yor **** together or else some taxpayers may do it for you..my rant for the night...

I JUST want to say something about the RCMP duds in BC....I Was in the lineup buying a coffee at Tim Hortons a a couple of RCMP walked in.One guy that was maybe 20 had his hand on his pistol in the lineup.

Any reports today from Barkley Sound? Looking to fish either Bamfield wall or Pill/Diplock tomorrow. Anything happening?

Cheers
Just back from 2 days at Poett Nook. The fishing is slow compared to a couple of weeks ago. We fished the Nook up to Whittlestone and our best results were near the Nook. We ended up boating 4 fish - 2 springs and 2 coho. The Skinny G spoon and a white squid hootchy brought up the fish.

Quick morning run to Pill produced 1 spring and 3 coho in short order. Close to 40 boats there, most doing the ccwise tack in Blood Bay ;-)
40 to 60 feet, short leaders, white hoochies.
Lots of action around us until 1030am.

We fished from the wall to whittlestone this morning for no fish and had 1 coho at Pill. Water extremely brown.

Back