2018 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Not disrespect to OP, but to the fisheries officer who you think "... is full of shi! and clearly doesn’t know the regs and laws he/she is employed to enforce."

::cough cough::

Fisheries Act, British Columbia Sportfishing Regulations 1996. Section Fifty Six, Subsection 2:A person who, in a day, has caught and retained the daily quota for steelhead in a lake or stream shall cease fishing in that lake or stream for the rest of the day.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-137/page-4.html#h-44

So let's see, who's word am I going to take here? OP, who's relaying something that he's heard or misunderstood from a Fisheries Officer, or YOU. Who I just demonstrated doesn't know what he's talking about.

Mods will soon trim this thread to get back to FC/Nanoose fishing reports.

Ummm, you’ve proved my point - you’ve posted a link to the BC sportfishing regulations, which were written and are enforced by the Provine of B.C. So, while the “kill your quota and you must stop fishing” reg does exist on freshwater systems for fish and fisheries governed by the province of B.C., the same is not the fact for Canadian Marine waters or fisheries governed by DFO.

Wrt the anonymous fish cop who doesn’t know the regs - not knowing the regs you are paid to enforce is inexcusable and, given the individual wasn’t identified by the OP, I’m more than comfortable with my tone given the level of incompetence shown.

Gotta do so much better than that Mr Guevara, continuing to just randomly throw out shi! all the time and hoping some randomly sticks got old about two weeks after you joined this forum.

Cheers!

Ukee

Ummm, you’ve proved my point - you’ve posted a link to the BC sportfishing regulations, which were written and are enforced by the Provine of B.C.

Go and read the source. This is the FEDERAL fisheries act, written by the FEDERAL government, in OTTAWA. You see, FEDERAL fisheries act, has a REGULATION specific to BRITISH COLUMBIA.

Section 91 of the Constitution gives the FEDERAL government exclusive right to Sea Coast and Inland Fisheries.

Go and read the source. This is the FEDERAL fisheries act, written by the FEDERAL government, in OTTAWA. You see, FEDERAL fisheries act, has a REGULATION specific to BRITISH COLUMBIA.

Section 91 of the Constitution gives the FEDERAL government exclusive right to Sea Coast and Inland Fisheries.

No, it is not the Fisheries Act, it is a regulation written by the Province of B.C. under the authority to write regulations provided by the Act.

Also, most folks know that the Federal government has the ability to delegate its constitutional authority and most folks who are knowledgeable about fisheries management in British Columbia know that the federal government exercises this ability as it pertains to freshwater fisheries management. Taken directly from FLNRO’s website:

“The Ministry of Environment has, through delegated authority under the Federal Fisheries Act, responsibility for the Province's non-salmon freshwater fisheries.”

Keep flinging Guevara, something’s bound to randomly stick at some point right? (or, you could stick to subjects you’re knowledgeable of?).

Cheers!

Ukee

No, it is not the Fisheries Act, it is a regulation written by the Province of B.C. under the authority to write regulations provided by

It's the Federal fisheries act.

Read the Preamble to the Regulations:
His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, pursuant to sections 8, 43 and 79.7of the Fisheries Act, is pleased hereby to repeal the British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations, made by Order in Council P.C. 1982-1920 of June 23, 1982, and to make the annexed Regulations respecting sport fishing in the Canadian fisheries waters of the Pacific Ocean and of the Province of British Columbia in substitution therefor, effective April 1, 1996.

You'll also note that the root URL I provided is for the Federal Department of Justice.

So, no, you're incorrect. Originally, you were posting that Fisheries Officer is full of it, and doesn't know what he's talking about. Yet, here you are stubbornly adhering to your own ignorance. I can't help you man. Your problems in life are your own.

Wow, you’re slower than I give you credit for!

Like I said and your post confirms, the authority to write regulations comes from the Sections of the Fisheries Act quoted ... but that doesn’t make a regulation part of the Act. Similarly, as the feds delegated their authority, the authority still comes from the federal Act, which must be used to repeal or bring inrptomforce such regulations. And just because a site on federal legislation includes provincial regs made pursuant to federal legislation isn’t surprising. In fact, a quick search of the site reveals many provincial regs written under federal legislation.

Cheers!

Ukee

::cough cough::

Fisheries Act, British Columbia Sportfishing Regulations 1996. Section Fifty Six, Subsection 2:A person who, in a day, has caught and retained the daily quota for steelhead in a lake or stream shall cease fishing in that lake or stream for the rest of the day.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-137/page-4.html#h-44
I think if you look closely, those are quotations and reminders that come from provincially regulated fisheries. Not enforcement regulations of the DFO, but rather British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations, 1996 (SOR/96-137), the regulating body of non tidal waters

I can't help ya man. I tried.

Big difference between knowing what you’re talking about and Google-searching, no one needs the latter type of “help”. I encourage you to continue educating yourself on Fed vs Prov jurisdictions and the difference between legislation, whether federal or provincial, and regulations written pursuant to the authority established by legislation.

Good luck Mr. Guevara!

Cheers!

Ukee

I don't need to lower myself to sarcastic quips and barbs. There's no ad hominem here. Whatever you need to project to feel better about yourself man.

Fished the Little Q Sunday am. Very slow. Saw 2 caught and we got one about 12 pounds. Pink hootchie at 45 feet in 80 feet of water. Fish was nice and silver. Some rain should bring them in. Anyone fishing the humps or FC area?

Was on the LQ beach with my fly rod Monday a.m, saw a couple boats hook up but could not tell size etc. Only a couple fish sniffing around the freshwater, like Fishstalkers said, some rain will light everything up.

Ukee, you said Canadian waters in your post, not Federal. We all know the difference. All waters are Canadian, not all are Federally controlled under the Fisheries Act. You should have clarified that you were referring to Tidal Regs, not Canadian waters. Easy fix here. I heard lots of Coho off the humps!

Fishing was great out at Ballenas earlier this week, haven’t had a chance to post. Our guests from down south enjoyed watching a humpback feeding in the area and we tied into lots of fish, took home two early teen springs. One white and one so red it looked like a Sox. 155 -180 on a hiccup hootchie and green& white spoon. Overall a great year of salmon fishing out of Schooner. Kudos to the staff there for the upgrade on the ramp and for replacing the hose every time it broke!

Any fish off little or big Q’s. Looking to get out one more time wondering if it’s worth it??

Thanks in advance!

I tried for a couple hours this morning but not a sniff. Wind got up good so cut the day short.

Back