Late hali report: Saturday out deep off albert head. Put in a full circle on the chartplotter while anchored. An hour in got one 20cm over. Released. A few hrs later another. 12cm over. Released. A loong stretch later after deciding to leave and turning on the motor to warm up. 40lber. Kept. Out again monday near race. 40cm over estimted 90-110 lb. released. Too bad we cant split the length between two licences and record two fish.

Took a couple Austrian friends out for some coho action this afternoon and we were not disappointed!

12-4 with a consistent bite from 1-3.

Left the harbour and was wondering why the sounder was reading wonky numbers and no matter what button combo I pressed it never worked right. Turns out, the transducer came off (it was glued on by the previous owner, not screwed in) and was flopping around on the swim grid.

Later on, the counter on the downrigger jammed and only the single digit would count.

Most of the fish were on bait, but the bigger coho were on a purple haze hoochie with a glow squirt shoved into it.

Location: out of cheanuh and straight out into 450-500 feet deep

Depth: 67 feet.
The rigger with the broken counter: 6-7 seconds descent.

Numbers: 6 wild released, three lost (chinook was in that mix I believe) only 1 hatch kept.

Gear: purple haze flasher with UV bloody nose, UV green and blue/green chrome.
Green hotspot flasher with above hoochie.

And then there were orcas on the way home. Right by the marina island.

What a brilliant day to show off to tourists.

Took a couple Austrian friends out for some coho action this afternoon and we were not disappointed!

12-4 with a consistent bite from 1-3.

Left the harbour and was wondering why the sounder was reading wonky numbers and no matter what button combo I pressed it never worked right. Turns out, the transducer came off (it was glued on by the previous owner, not screwed in) and was flopping around on the swim grid.

Later on, the counter on the downrigger jammed and only the single digit would count.

Most of the fish were on bait, but the bigger coho were on a purple haze hoochie with a glow squirt shoved into it.

Location: out of cheanuh and straight out into 450-500 feet deep

Depth: 67 feet.
The rigger with the broken counter: 6-7 seconds descent.

Numbers: 6 wild released, three lost (chinook was in that mix I believe) only 1 hatch kept.

Gear: purple haze flasher with UV bloody nose, UV green and blue/green chrome.
Green hotspot flasher with above hoochie.

And then there were orcas on the way home. Right by the marina island.

What a brilliant day to show off to tourists.
Gotta love those growing pains with a new (used) boat... Those are easy fixes luckily. Hope the transducer didn’t get too beat up bouncing around.

I’m very happy for you finding those coho, as I know you were looking forward to it. A nice day of coho fishing in sooke is hard to beat!!!

Gotta love those growing pains with a new (used) boat... Those are easy fixes luckily. Hope the transducer didn’t get too beat up bouncing around.

I’m very happy for you finding those coho, as I know you were looking forward to it. A nice day of coho fishing in sooke is hard to beat!!!

I was kinda hoping it would get cut, then I could argue for an entirely new sounder haha!

It was a great day for getting some confidence back after a really poor chinook season (for us).

Hit sooke for the first time since getting back from Haida... worked possesion and secretary all afternoon. Released a high teener early on, and got into a real nice fish later on. Pound for pound one of the best fighters I’ve ever seen, barking line in the holder with big head shakes. one of my buddy’s personal best. Big white going straight to the smoker!

Attachments

• 7185E3C7-285C-4D37-8650-F497BF8364F4.jpeg
    7185E3C7-285C-4D37-8650-F497BF8364F4.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 179
8-2 Wednesday started at Beechy, trolled to Trap without any action so moved offshore with all the other boats looking for coho. One small hatchery and let go two wilds. Bunch of shakers and that was it. Never saw a spring and not a lot of fish being cleaned at the ramp.

Pretty much the same Wednesday as you,kayladog.We ran straight to the trap at 7:30 and fished it till 10:00 or so with no action and none seen either.Then went offshore in front of the harbour and Secretary and managed two hatcheries around 6-7 lbs. and released two wilds,one probably 10 lbs.Wind came up from the south and made for a bumpy,rolly ride until we both got sick of it and headed back in tight to troll home.Gonna give it a week or 10 days and let the coho get a little thicker before we make another trip.

STILL lots of springs to be had had 2 days of trips we landed 7 in 2 days and lost just as many .Have to think outside the box to find them though. Find the bait you will find the fish.
I will tell you green color is defiantly working better then others
Good luck wolf

...Or shallower.
... Or deeper in shallower water
... Or shallower in deeper water
Only way to find out for sure is to hire him!
LOL!

Out late after breakfast today. Fished 10:00am until 2:30pm.

Trolled straight out from 150’ to 450’ of water with a little 4” herring in a teaser head one side and a pink/UV hootch on the other. Motored around for almost two hours with the rest of fleet but had no hits and only saw one caught.

Then started heading east of Secretary, away from the fleet but still in 450’ of water and got a nice hit on the herring at 68’. It was a 6lb hatchery coho, so back down went the herring and 10minutes later we got another identical hatchery coho. Put herring on both sides now, since lures had done nada, and big surprise the original herring side went off again and this time we knew it was not a coho. It gave a very long dogged run down and away and eventually we stopped and brought to net a very nice 11lb chinook. Not big at all but gave a very good account of himself and really surprised us in 450’ of water at 68’. Back at the ranch he was a white.

Very nice four hours on the water as it went flat and calm, but after that frantic 30 minutes the bite had stopped and so when the rain started we headed home.

I went out to soak my crab traps for a bit this am at 7:30. Trolled possession point for an hour, not much going on, dusted off the old spoons, made my way out to the second tide line and was rewarded with several large Scrappy Coho and some feeder Springs. Plenty of action for me they are out there and decent size, go get them.

I’ve not had any success trolling when it’s a cloudy or rainy day. Is green flasher with us and glow still the goto Color or should I use something else? Thank you

Easy limit of marked coho this AM in the thick fog, 60 down in 500 feet of water. Tried for chinook for a short time at the trap, just ended up releasing more coho. Called it a day at 10:30. Weather was great except for the thick fog, flat as a pancake with no wind.

Out in the parking lot out front today and toward possession 0/3. Just wasn't my day. They are around for sure. Lost a few good ones right at the net. Nothing big one was probably in the 20's and the other ones teen size. Got one hatchery coho I released.

Back