2018 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Thanks Che. That's exactly what I was looking for.
So you can keep 2 Chinook per day from the shoreline to this red line and if you catch your fish on the offshore side of this line, you can keep only 1. Is that correct?

I think the spirit of this notice is that if you're fishing in front of the LQ and the BQ, the chances of a catching a SoG or a Fraser River Chinook is low, so you can keep two. The further out you get, the better the chances are for catching a SoG or Fraser Chinook, so that's just one fish. Clearly they want you bonking two fish in front of the Quclicums.

How DFO can enforce this is beyond me. The area in front of the LQ is area 14-4, which runs from just north of the LQ all the way over to Sister's Island, then back to the French Creek light. So you bonk your fish and mark 14-4 on your license, then bonk another and put 14-4 as the location. So how can DFO prove where you caught both fish?

Talked to a Fisheries officer Friday morning at French Creek and even he admitted the new 2 Chinook per day along shoreline is a confusing reg.

[QUOTE="
How DFO can enforce this is beyond me. The area in front of the LQ is area 14-4, which runs from just north of the LQ all the way over to Sister's Island, then back to the French Creek light. So you bonk your fish and mark 14-4 on your license, then bonk another and put 14-4 as the location. So how can DFO prove where you caught both fish?[/QUOTE]
I think there is a degree of honesty expected from the sport fishers. Maybe we can promote that.

How DFO can enforce this is beyond me. The area in front of the LQ is area 14-4, which runs from just north of the LQ all the way over to Sister's Island, then back to the French Creek light. So you bonk your fish and mark 14-4 on your license, then bonk another and put 14-4 as the location. So how can DFO prove where you caught both fish?
I think DFO expects a degree of honesty in recording your catch. Perhaps we can promote that.

Not sure how they do it on the inside but on the West side you cannot continue to fish in the restricted area once you have recorded your catch.

So if you bonk a Chinook on the outside of the line, you have reached your limit for that area and can only fish on the inside of that line from there on.
If you retain a Chinook on the inside, you can no longer fish outside of said line but can continue to fish for your second Chinook within the boundary.

The same rules apply in Renfrew for wild vs hatchery Coho based on your location to the bay.

Cheers.

That makes sense. So I will just stay in close to the river and try for 2.
Thanks guys.

Not sure how they do it on the inside but on the West side you cannot continue to fish in the restricted area once you have recorded your catch.

So if you bonk a Chinook on the outside of the line, you have reached your limit for that area and can only fish on the inside of that line from there on.
If you retain a Chinook on the inside, you can no longer fish outside of said line but can continue to fish for your second Chinook within the boundary.

The same rules apply in Renfrew for wild vs hatchery Coho based on your location to the bay.

Cheers.
Not too sure about that. Pretty sure you can still catch and release it that area, even after you've recorded your catch. The only places you can't fish are finfish fishing closure areas (or an RCA). Do you have a link that says you must stop fishing after you've recorded your catch? It might be a good thing to do, but I don't think it's a regulation.

Not too sure about that. Pretty sure you can still catch and release it that area, even after you've recorded your catch. The only places you can't fish are finfish fishing closure areas (or an RCA). Do you have a link that says you must stop fishing after you've recorded your catch? It might be a good thing to do, but I don't think it's a regulation.

In Renfrew, on one side of the line you are allowed wild Coho (2), while on the other side of the line you are allowed hatchery only (4), or a combined 4 of which only 2 may be wild. A DFO officer explained to me that if you retain a wild fish, you cannot fish inside the line any longer as you are in posession of a illegal fish for that area.

Just repeating what I was told.

So, you sure can fish after you have retained your daily limit, but as in the Renfrew example, you must fish where your retained catch is legal.

Seeing a full parking lot down at the French Creek ramp, anybody catching any fish?

In Renfrew, on one side of the line you are allowed wild Coho (2), while on the other side of the line you are allowed hatchery only (4), or a combined 4 of which only 2 may be wild. A DFO officer explained to me that if you retain a wild fish, you cannot fish inside the line any longer as you are in posession of a illegal fish for that area.

Just repeating what I was told.

So, you sure can fish after you have retained your daily limit, but as in the Renfrew example, you must fish where your retained catch is legal.

Sorry, but that Fishery Officer is full of shi! and clearly doesn’t know the regs and laws he/she is employed to enforce. There is no general prohibition in Canadian waters that forces you to stop fishing once you’ve hit a limit, other than areas fully closed to angling. Nothing stopping you from LEGALLY catching your two wilds on one side then LEGALLY angling for two hatchery on the other. The FO is just telling you what they’d like and what would make their job easier, not what the regs and Fisheries Act allows.

Cheers!

Ukee

Nothing to be sorry about Ukee, I would like to be there when you explain to the officer why you have two wild Coho in your possession while activly fishing in an area where retention on wild Coho is prohibited.

Have your cheque book handy.

Cheers

Any updates on fishing around Ballenas & area? Got some tourists from back east looking to get out for a rip.

Sorry, but that Fishery Officer is full of shi! and clearly doesn’t know the regs and laws he/she is employed to enforce.

You know, this is just a disrespectful and truly ignorant comment to make. Maybe OP misunderstood what they were told? Or there was some sort of confusion in how the message was relayed.

Any updates on fishing around Ballenas & area? Got some tourists from back east looking to get out for a rip.

Friend of mine fishes exclusively out there. Says it was dead. If your boat can handle it, I'd run over to Sandheads and try your luck there.

Nothing to be sorry about Ukee, I would like to be there when you explain to the officer why you have two wild Coho in your possession while activly fishing in an area where retention on wild Coho is prohibited.

Have your cheque book handy.

Cheers

I have, and no cheque book required when you fully comply with the regulations. Pretty common for the coho regs in and around Ukee to allow wild retention in inshore waters and only hatchery marked retention offshore. No problems ever, including being checked on the water and at the dock.

Cheers!

Ukee

You know, this is just a disrespectful and truly ignorant comment to make. Maybe OP misunderstood what they were told? Or there was some sort of confusion in how the message was relayed.

Friend of mine fishes exclusively out there. Says it was dead. If your boat can handle it, I'd run over to Sandheads and try your luck there.

LOL - from the master of disrespect and ignorance, no less!! If you weren’t always talking out of your butt Mr. Guevara, you’d know the truth is never ignorant, and there was no disrespect to the OP intended nor any taken based on his response. But thanks again for yet another post that lends nothing to the subject at hand other than your stirring of the pot. Good on you!

Cheers!

Ukee

Not disrespect to OP, but to the fisheries officer who you think "... is full of shi! and clearly doesn’t know the regs and laws he/she is employed to enforce."

That is a freshwater fishery regulated by the Government of B.C., not DFO.

::cough cough::

Fisheries Act, British Columbia Sportfishing Regulations 1996. Section Fifty Six, Subsection 2:A person who, in a day, has caught and retained the daily quota for steelhead in a lake or stream shall cease fishing in that lake or stream for the rest of the day.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-137/page-4.html#h-44

So let's see, who's word am I going to take here? OP, who's relaying something that he's heard or misunderstood from a Fisheries Officer, or YOU. Who I just demonstrated doesn't know what he's talking about.

Mods will soon trim this thread to get back to FC/Nanoose fishing reports.

Back