2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Fished the harbour mouth from 6:45 till 7:50 when this one hit. 8.5 lbs. Wind started to pick up a little so called it day. Back home 2 hrs after leaving. I did not see any other fish caught. Smoker will be very full this weekend. Cleaned the fish and it is a wild White spring, I have not had a white ins for years...into the smoker he goes.

Attachments

• IMG_20180829_074930.jpg
    IMG_20180829_074930.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Seems like pretty tough going out there boys. I got back from Haida Gwaii about a week ago now and have since fished the front twice. A skunk one morning last week was the first trip, and last night we picked up a 12# and lost a pretty decent fish, both minutes apart at the 615pm high slack. Fingers crossed some of those big whites roll through soon.

tough going for sure. I think I'm gonna try out deeper this weekend see if some of those sox are still around

oh man??? that was the spot I was in a couple nights ago put it back that's mine LOL j/k nice fish looks great. Smiley all around :)

Couldn’t be much more jealous than I am right now.

Stizzla...just happened to be in the right place at the right time! Released a small Coho as well and that was it for the day. The one we got liked the Herring Aid Skinny G right on bottom in about 90 ft. of water. The stomach contents are below and it weighed in at 21 lbs. Also managed some keeper Dungies, so, considering it was supposed to be too windy to fish, it turned out to be an awesome day!

Doc1.jpg
Doc2.jpg

Quick rant before the report,

I'm not sure I understand how difficult it is to clean the cleaning table in Esquilmalt Anglers after you're done using it! What does it take an extra 20 seconds. Come on!

On to the report,

Fished the waterfront from 6:00-10:45, 1 hit, 1 fish (15lber) inside the gap, 55' on the rigger in 66' of water. Bloody nose, with anchovie, cop car flasher, at about 8:15. Saw a couple of other nets out earlier, but after mine I didn't see any other nets out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 102
Sam, that's pretty clean compared to most of the time...... I don't know why they can't or won't install a fresh water hose!!!!

Was out at first light off the breakwater cause I just need to prove to myself I don't have to go to Sooke to catch fish. Got a bite at 730 that stuck and landed a nice 12 lb red male. Whew the skunk was off thankfully. A bit later got a 6 lb wild Coho off Brochie safely released, followed by a pin popper that turned into a double header with one going east & one going west which turned into a square dance with both fish surviving and a bunch of gear twisted beyond untangling. One last hit on the way in off Mcaulay that escaped as I handed the rod off...dang it. It was a beauty day with calm seas ( except for the 10 am whale boats departure) and was home by noon. Looked like most boats had one or two fish at the dock so smiles all around;-)

Attachments

• IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Fished the harbour from 7 to 11 this morning. Released a couple wild coho and kept a 7 lb male spring. Saw more fish caught today than any other day this week. Bite seems to be over well vefore 11:00 am.

Attachments

• IMG_20180903_132444.jpg
    IMG_20180903_132444.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 46
Started out on the breakwater just after 7:00am, at about 8:45 I was tightening my line up and the line came off the rigger, as I started reeling it up, bam, fish on. Scrappy little fight, after it was all said and done, 12lb red spring.

Bloody nose, cop car flasher, 55' on the rigger

I packed up my gear and headed Constance to try my luck at halibut, solid 7 hrs with no results, but what a day out there on the water.

While out on the water, keeping an eye on the electronics, there were a ton of fish going by from 80-110' in 280' of water.

Back