Went out for the morning shift and the weather turned our great. Got some coho on the line out in the high 400s off secretary at 80ft.
Lost a decent spring just off possession.at 12:30.

Kept a small spring and one hatch coho.
Few wilds went back in the drink.

Bring on the coho! I’m going to bust a non fishing streak that I’m embarrassed to even talk about in a little over a week. I hope we get into some action!
Anybody know when the wilds can be retained? Beginning of October?

Bring on the coho! I’m going to bust a non fishing streak that I’m embarrassed to even talk about in a little over a week. I hope we get into some action!
Anybody know when the wilds can be retained? Beginning of October?
There’s a fisheries notice posted dfo website on may 31

Fished from 7:00am until 1:30pm today. Started out at the Trap for a change and did a few passes, both in tight and out near the end of the reef. No hits at all so after a couple of hours gave up and headed put into 450’ of water looking for the coho, headed back west. Just before lunch time had four hits in fairly rapid succession, two on herring and two on pink/UV hootchie. One we missed and two were unclipped so we only kept one 6lb fish. Around noon came back in and did some more passes at Possession and Harbour Mouth and only managed one little 4lb hatchery chinook, again on herring.

Beautiful flat calm morning after the fog/marine cloud burnt off but once the wind came up just after 1:00pm we headed in!:D

P.S. with the exception of Profisher and perhaps a few other fishing gods of course, the chinook are pretty much done for normal mortals. LOL Did not see any nets in the water at the Trap or Possession.;)

We picked up a 7lb feeder so they're still out there.
No night shift for us due to wind but tomorrow back at er

Fished from 7:00am until 1:30pm today. Started out at the Trap for a change and did a few passes, both in tight and out near the end of the reef. No hits at all so after a couple of hours gave up and headed put into 450’ of water looking for the coho, headed back west. Just before lunch time had four hits in fairly rapid succession, two on herring and two on pink/UV hootchie. One we missed and two were unclipped so we only kept one 6lb fish. Around noon came back in and did some more passes at Possession and Harbour Mouth and only managed one little 4lb hatchery chinook, again on herring.

Beautiful flat calm morning after the fog/marine cloud burnt off but once the wind came up just after 1:00pm we headed in!:D

P.S. with the exception of Profisher and perhaps a few other fishing gods of course, the chinook are pretty much done for normal mortals. LOL Did not see any nets in the water at the Trap or Possession.;)

Sept is is usually pretty good. Some of larger fish I have gotten were in 1st to 2nd week of Sept in last few years. We haven't gotten any rain at all either. It's not done. Also the local Sooke fish and also those late run whites should be around. It's a great time. Crowds are gone and usually good weather.

If you guys had 4 hours tomorrow morning 7-11 where would you head.
Looking for hatch coho or dinner table springs.

Leaving from sunny shores and we are arguing about going east or west.

Typically enough springs around until at least the 15th of September that I don't switch to Coho gear or areas until after that date. As SV said some of the biggest fish of the year are caught in September. In fact the largest in modern times was Earl Mcdermit's 67.12 pound spring taken on I believe Sept 29th. I took a 45 pounder as late as Oct 3rd off the bluffs while fishing Coho.

Profisher, Wolf, and the other aces on here.,

I said they are pretty much done for normal mortals. I have absolutely no doubt you guys will catch some more good ones but this will not be the case for most of us. I would love to know how many were actually caught in the Trap/Possession area today because there were at least 50 boats X 2 rods X 6 hours apiece say 600 rod hours, during which I saw none caught. Don't mean none were of course, which is why I would like to know what actually happened. Not possible of course since many are not on this forum, but I am betting the catch was pretty small for the rod hours expended. So the odds are pretty long, for I repeat, normal mortals. But not for those fishing gods who can read the tides and locations like a book and know exactly where to go!;)

Out for a marathon today but why leave the water when it was so nice. Had a nice 9 pounder by 9am at the trap missed a couple and then headed for the deep after a great whale show at possession around 1 after a quick re fuel. Got into a couple in an hour or so of trying in 450 feet. Both wilds - biggest was over 10. So I’ll find them in a few weeks. Got nasty around 330 4-5 footers with a strong westerly. Back out in the am

We are normal mortals too English. We are just stubborn or patient enough to stay in one spot and wait for the chances the day eventually will present...that is all.

Only able to get out for a quick trip today. Fished daylight to 9 in Pedder Bay picked up one 12 pounder, 45 ft down on bait. It was full of squid, should have been running plastic may have gotten a second.

Only able to get out for a quick trip today. Fished daylight to 9 in Pedder Bay picked up one 12 pounder, 45 ft down on bait. It was full of squid, should have been running plastic may have gotten a second.

What size of squid if I may ask?

Thanks in advance

JL

After too trips to the Trap that with no decent fish , decided to fish Pedder Bay for the day and at save on fuel and enjoy the sun as well. Fished G-Spoon on one side bait on the other had two big hits all day but did land both. One was 19lbs and the other 14lbs both were caught on large Anchovie. The Gspoon seemed to do well hooking lots of shakers.

Squid!! Anyone actually fished for them locally? It seems it’s a hot fishery in SeaTac area in the fall.

Fished all day yesterday from first light. Tried Church, then Aldridge, Beechy, then out a couple of miles till the wind came up, and back to Pedder. Lots of shakers, lost 3 or 4 at the boat, lots of bait stripped, and landed 4 undersize spring. Tried a lot of different gear hoping something would stick Extremely frustrating! First light to 6 pm and skunked! Haven't had that kind of luck for a long time! Gonna try again if the weather cooperates later this week! At least we got to see some Killer whales and a Humpback! It felt more like a whale watching trip than a fishing trip.

Back