The Otter Point Closure Line: West is West

Saxe Point

The administrator said this "subject has merit and is a touchy one" and suggested it stay out of the Sooke reports. So here it is. Note that I'm not starting this as a vehicle for complaints about alleged fishing in the closed area, or complaints about the closure itself. It's just to clarify something that is important: where is the Otter Point closure line?

Some say it's not clear or that it's complicated. I disagree.

Here's my view (a response to Wolf from the Sooke reports thread):

I’m sorry Wolf, I just don’t understand why you believe it is so complicated and requires clarification by DFO. Their email, which reproduces the language in the notice, makes it very clear. It says, in material part, “Effective June 1 to September 30, 2018 there is no fishing for finfish in... that portion of Subarea 20-5 that lies west of 123 degrees 49.345 minutes west longitude (in line with the radio tower located at Otter Point).”

Whether you look at a chart or use a GPS, it’s so simple: anywhere in subarea 20-5 west of the radio tower (or those westerly coordinates which they say are where the tower is located) is closed. This closed area of subarea 20-5 extends from that point to the western edge of subarea 20-5 which is Sheringham Point. Beyond this, any other reference to Sheringham Point is irrelevant to identifying the closed area.

The “line” that seems to be perplexing you must, as a matter of logic and common sense, extend perpendicular to the westerly coordinates (the radio tower). Perpendicular means a north/south line drawn at a 90 degree angle from the longitudinal line represented by those coordinates (the radio tower).

Simple, in my view and in addition, you don’t even need to worry about the perpendicular line. That’s because my chart plotter, like any GPS, makes it even easier because by reading the longitude, it tells me exactly how far west I am and if I am west of those coordinates that represent the boundary.

How is this anything but clear? Am I missing something?​

Wolf responded:

IS it though its NOT stated there lies the problem and there lies all the confusion . its not stated the direction, you can ASSUME its a north to south but it doesnt state it I even asked WHY there is not a map drawn p like all the other boundaries......
the other closure at possesion is VERY easy for us all possesion to muir pt off the bluffs simple pt 2 waypoints on the gps and do a a route now you know exactly where the boundry is ..this will be the last time I comment on this as its a dumb rule and EVERYONE seems to have their own opinion on it including my self. The only one that seem to be getting their knickers in a knot is you fishermen some of you are acting like bullys in the sand box being jealous someone has more time on the swing set......
IF it was SUCH a huge problem these last 3 months do you not think the rubber raft would have been out ticketing people its apparent they see it as we are doing it some what right as they are definitely monitoring it, JUST go fish Guys enjoy what time we have left in the rest of the summer , enjoy the last few days on the water before school starts and run is gone. we all have worse things in life then this ....I have a bad feeling we wont be fishing there anymore anyways after all of this anyways after they buzzed past the point in the plane a few days ago 10 times VERY LOW!!!!!

To which I say, with great respect, that simply cannot be be right and Wolf's confusion is unwarranted. Any other longitudinal point is either east or west of the longitudinal line passing through 123 degrees 49.345 minutes. In other words, you are either east or west of that point once you move east or west from it. You can go north or south as much as you like and that won't change anything in terms of your longitudinal position. But once you move east or west, you're either east or west of that point, anywhere on the globe.

Again, nothing could be simpler.

To those venturing out without a GPS, unless you can figure out your lat/long position by chart, you do so at your peril if you go near that closure line.

I am not a mariner by upbringing or trade and I'm relatively new to all this, so if I misunderstand this, let me know. But I really see it as being simple.

Last edited:
I would think the safe thing to do, is that if you are fishing that close to the closure line, and have some confusion as to exactly where the closure begins, then give yourself some cushion room as to not cross into a closed area. Seems pretty simple to me

I would think the safe thing to do, is that if you are fishing that close to the closure line, and have some confusion as to exactly where the closure begins, then give yourself some cushion room as to not cross into a closed area. Seems pretty simple to me

I agree and would go further. Even, if it is easy to find, give yourself a cushion just to be safe.

However the issue is whether it is hard to find. Some say it is but I don’t understand why they say so. Seems simple to me.

If you are fishing off the first or second rock, or you face the beach and the Otter point picnic table is on your right, then you have gone too far. If you spend 3-4 hours in the closed area, it is obvious to all. Regardless of DFO maps, politics, which fishing gods you pray to, if you are in the closed area and you do not take steps to motor back to the open area or pull your fishing gear, you are clearly not ethically competing with the other fishermen. If you motor down there while they are filming from a plane or a tripod on shore, you are foolish as well. Some are slightly less foolish when the wait until they think DFO is not watching, because ethical fishermen are. Fair competition is important. FYI to Wolf, when I say "you", I mean everyone. They know who they are, and some when informed have stopped fishing the closed area, but the problem is the uninformed are now following the informed but non-compliant fishermen into the closed area. Yes it is the best spot, but let's stop whining about it and enjoy the fishing we are still privileged to have on the south Island.

Well said nautigirl we might not always agree with the rules but that doesn't mean we have the right to pick and chose the ones we follow

I agree with both of you, Cmiles and Nautigirl, as I made clear in my comments when this issue was raised in the Sooke reports thread.

In addition to the ethical dimension about which we agree, there are are other reasons why it behooves everyone to try harder.

I think it does all of us a disservice to test the limits of the line, claim you were doing your best or say it doesn't matter because "close is good enough", or otherwise fudge it. Every time someone does this, another will say (wrongly) the "line must be where they are fishing, so let's go there". And before you know it there's an armada that keeps creeping more and more over the line. And maybe the regulatory authority won't care. But if they do care, or if they want evidence of noncompliance to close even more fishing area, it looks like there could be lots of evidence. As has been said time and time again, why not just keep a good distance away from the line?

I don’t accept that the line is hard to identify. It’s easy and therefore easy to stay well clear of it.

Saxe... Why are you so concerned about this?
Don't fish Otter if it stresses you out so much. Lots of water out there. Fishing is supposed to be relaxing.

That’s really quite funny. I’m not the one who is stressed about this at all. What I find astonishing is the extraordinary stress expressed in the posts by people like Wolf. Anytime someone [not me, I never mention it] mentions that people are fishing over the line, Wolf gets quite irate and defensive about it and then goes on to attempt to argue that locating the closure line is extraordinarily difficult and that everyone should just forget about it.

When I’m on the water, at Otter or elsewhere, I get stressed about nothing; that’s why I am there. And even reading Wolf’s posts cause me zero stress. They are, however, worthy of rebuttal.

Indeed, your post is not much different from Wolf’s, in the sense that you seem to suggest that this is an issue that no one should talk about. Is it causing you stress?

Last edited:
I agree and would go further. Even, if it is easy to find, give yourself a cushion just to be safe.

However the issue is whether it is hard to find. Some say it is but I don’t understand why they say so. Seems simple to me.
It should not be hard to find the boundary with a GPS or a nautical chart. If you don't use either, then giving a cushion to the boundary is essential. There are closures on water that has no land based references, i.e. parts of Swiftsure Bank. If you are not clear on identifying the boundaries given the tools available to us on the water, it would be wise to stay clear and not risk an infraction. Again, it couldn't be any simpler.

YOUR missing the point SAXE I asked DFO is it on a southerly line and they couldn't answer the question for me ... thats where the problem is... nothing else I agree with what you are saying it has to be way more clearer for all of us. WOULD you listen to what Im saying it states

(west longitude (in line with the radio tower located at Otter Point).”

well sheringham is almost DUE west and we know that isnt the line....

Why I get the hackles up is for one reason WE should all be pissed at this stupid blunder if your siding with DFO and the killing of fishing so be it .im almost done in this game as people do not get how badly DFO is killing our communities and I doubt either do you marinas are empty no one is out etc...

Im done with all of this crap DFO has don,e if you went to all the meeting ive been to in 20 years you would have seen how much they have screwed us over ....

Have a god day Wolf

It should not be hard to find the boundary with a GPS or a nautical chart. If you don't use either, then giving a cushion to the boundary is essential. There are closures on water that has no land based references, i.e. parts of Swiftsure Bank. If you are not clear on identifying the boundaries given the tools available to us on the water, it would be wise to stay clear and not risk an infraction. Again, it couldn't be any simpler.

^^^ What he said!

a-tribute-to-john-f-dunsworth-aka-mr-lahey-12-gifs-210.jpg

YOUR missing the point SAXE I asked DFO is it on a southerly line and they couldn't answer the question for me ... thats where the problem is... nothing else I agree with what you are saying it has to be way more clearer for all of us. WOULD you listen to what Im saying it states
(west longitude (in line with the radio tower located at Otter Point).”
well sheringham is almost DUE west and we know that isnt the line....
Why I get the hackles up is for one reason WE should all be pissed at this stupid blunder if your siding with DFO and the killing of fishing so be it .im almost done in this game as people do not get how badly DFO is killing our communities and I doubt either do you marinas are empty no one is out etc...
Im done with all of this crap DFO has don,e if you went to all the meeting ive been to in 20 years you would have seen how much they have screwed us over ....
Have a god day Wolf

Wolf and the rest of us have good reason to be pissed off!!!
Most on this site just sit back and either stew in silence or because they don't fish the area, just don't give a damn.
Roy, you have been a valuable contributor on this Forum for YEARS.
Some of the guys are quick to criticize and often don't know what the hell they are talking about.
ADMIN...this is a very emotional issue for those of who care and are willing to let our feelings know!
How about cutting them a little slack...there was nothing wrong, in my opinion, of discussing this on the Sooke thread...after all it is Sooke we are talking about and it does affect Sooke fishing in a MAJOR way. All threads get a little off the main subject from time to time.

I charted this on my chartplotter and this is what it shows. Much different than I thought it was when fishing there a few weeks ago. I would say most boats were using the line of west to east on my waypoint 1627 at Otter point.
Why can't they just put up a couple of posts 50 feet apart on the point. When they line up you are on the boundary.

There is no fishing for finfish in
Subareas 20-3, 20-4 and that portion of Subarea 20-5 that lies west of 123
degrees 49.345 minutes west longitude
(in line with the radio tower located at
Otter Point).”

IMG_6258.PNG

If DFO is that concerned they should be putting a marker on the point like at possession in stead of a radio tower that is hidden behind trees and not visible in the fog. I think the confusion is some fish it like they are used to fishing at possession where you can’t go beyond the marker into the bay. That said I have been following this forum for 5 years and can’t remember one complaint about people fishing past possession and it happens just as much as Otter.I have been told that closure is to actually protect fish not whales that come through once every couple weeks.
I don’t see the issue here it’s a personal choice if you want to get near the line, over the line or not. It’s like pinching the barbs on your hooks. Regular fishing is not a competition. If I was in a derby then that’s different.

Man shut this thread down, if it’s going to morph from “what are the rules”to “what rules are we going to follow”!Whether intentional or not it sure sounds like some feel it’s OK to violate the current rules to grab a fish, I hope that isn’t true! Could you play more into the hands of the anti fishing lobby if this is your plan? If you are angry and everyone who got slapped with a finfish closure has a right to be, it isn’t just Sooke, by all means protest. Go into the area without fishing but don’t play into the hands of those demanding closure, by fishing in those closed areas. Imagine how this is going to play out, “greedy recreational fishers poaching in closed area”. You know that’s how it’s going to be spun, so let’s be smart about it. DFO busting a bunch of rec fishers isn’t going to help the cause.

Man shut this thread down, if it’s going to morph from “what are the rules”to “what rules are we going to follow”!W

Ziggy, I am not sure how you came to your conclusion.
Have you EVER fished Otter Point and the surrounding area?
The issue is not about a few who may or may not be breaking the rules, but about the insanity of thinking doing flyovers to enforce a very fine line of in or out of the closured area and thinking this will help the Orca's.
In NO WAY will this help protect the feeding opportunity of the Southern Orca's.
Don't loose touch with the reality that this DFO political closure is all about the theory that fishermen inhibit the hunting opportunities of the Orca's.
Nothing to do with conservation of the stock. We already have extensive restrictions to achieve this.
Also keep in mind the many crab fishermen and whale watchers are welcome to frequent the very areas closed to sport fishers because DFO think Sport Fishers ONLY might disturb feeding Orca's.
It's total insanity!
otter point 1.jpg

Back