And so begins my 1st Bamfield adventure!

Kinetic

I thought I'd share my 1st fishing trip to Bamfield. Leaving Victoria this morning, pulling up my 16ft. Double Eagle. Staying at the Bamfield Motel till Wednesday.
I'll update this thread with pics as I go.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Good luck and stay safe, looking forward to watching your adventure.

Maybe drop the tire pressure in your trailer and car tires somewhat below the max load pressure before the gravel. I blew a good tire on that road and it was suggested that they were over inflated. I haven't had a flat since and travel it 4-8 times a month. The first 12km of the gravel and the last bit are the roughest ... just go slow. There are lots of unnecessary MVAs on that road and I would think most have to do with excessive speed. The Bamfieldians (Bamfielders? Bamily?) say "If you average 60km/hr you'll make it in 90 minutes if you go faster ... you won't". But that's not towing a boat ...

You might try glow teaser heads and anchovies 5' behind purple haze flashers at 35' - 45' deep in 60' of water just outside the Bamfield Harbour if you're staying in close. Lots of good info on the Bamfield Reports. Good luck and have blast!

So day 1 is a wrap, here's a brief summary:
  • We pulled the boat in from Alberni
  • The gravel road took us 3hrs and was worse than I expected
  • The 1st 10kms and the last 10kms seemed the worst
  • Staying at the Bamfield Motel which is decent
  • Fished this afternoon for 3.5hrs and only managed one 10lb spring at the wall
  • Trying again early so hopefully will have more to report
Cheers!

Just got back from the sound tonight. Heard that pill point was on fire this afternoon. Good luck and have a great trip!

Just got back yesterday, The fishing was picking up. We did good caught lots of fish in the 15lb range, lemon lime flasher or red racer flasher with 3.5 green/white or yellow/chrome skinny G's @ 40'-45' all inside around Kirby to meathole.

So day 1 is a wrap, here's a brief summary:
  • We pulled the boat in from Alberni
  • The gravel road took us 3hrs and was worse than I expected
  • The 1st 10kms and the last 10kms seemed the worst
  • Staying at the Bamfield Motel which is decent
  • Fished this afternoon for 3.5hrs and only managed one 10lb spring at the wall
  • Trying again early so hopefully will have more to report
Cheers!
Go fish Swale, we limited out both days on the weekend.

Day 2 is in the books:
  • Caught and released a feeder spring 1st thing at Flemming
  • Caught a 10lb spring and similar coho at Pill
  • Caught a 10 & 12 at Swale and lost 6 others
  • Sunny, warm and flat
  • Swale reminded me of bumper boats at Otter
  • We'll probably hit Pill and Swale again tomorrow morning and then hopefully try jigging for Lings in the afternoon
Cheers

That’s interesting as it was Kirby that had the crowd with bad driving etiquette and Swale was way less crowded 1.5 weeks ago when I was there. I gave up on Kirby even though the fishing there was quite good, at least 1/2 the boats there had no respect for right rod to the beach and it made it a CF.

Day 3 report:
  • Pill was good action from 6:45 till 11ish
  • We got our limit of cookie cutters (9-14lbs) and lost 7 other decent fish
  • Picked a couple of random pinnacles to jig on and managed 2 legal Ling
  • Tried to target coho in Imperial channel with no luck
  • We have 3hrs to fish tomorrow before we have to leave. Need 1 more spring, and hopefully some coho
Pictures to come when I get home

Day 4 report:
  • Fished till 9am
  • Picked up an 8lb Spring
  • Packed up and headed home
  • Took the Cowichan route home which I thought was a better route
My overall impression was I really enjoyed the trip but I would never tow a boat in again. I would run the boat down the canal.
Lot's of beautiful places to see and fish. People with knowledge (guides) were absolutely slaying the fish.
I considered the trip a success as we never got skunked in 4 days.
Can't wait to go back.
Now for the pics
Moorage
IMG_20180827_190501.jpg
Morning fog
IMG_20180827_061828.jpg

Pill Pt.
IMG_20180828_081541.jpg
Swale
IMG_20180827_102752.jpg
Day 3's catch
IMG_20180828_115511.jpg
Sea-lion bit my salmon's butt!
IMG_20180828_150437.jpg

Cheers

Don't they charge $10 a day to park at Toquart? I kayak and haven't gone back there since it was changed in location but that's what I hear from friends.

Don't they charge $10 a day to park at Toquart? I kayak and haven't gone back there since it was changed in location but that's what I hear from friends.

secured parking. tenant onsite.

Back