Status
Not open for further replies.
Probly 2 miles north of the light ship. Theres a conspicuous looking contour out there, kind of does a hook. Just inside of it and a bit south

Out looking for some big boys today. Dropped the lines at north arm and picked up a low teens spring before all the gear was in the water. Hung around and no more bites so trolled south to T10 and just before a freight train hit. Thought I'd been sealed, but glad I didn't horse it in ... landed a mid teens chromer. Thought it was a much bigger fish. Very strong run. Had a couple more hits that didn't stick and then got one more on that spit the hooks on the surface.

Good day off sandheads. Found a school north of the light and fished a 75yrd area. Got 6 in short order once found, put on chovies and wandered in tight to find my buddy his first spring. Found a couple teen reds and called it a day.
All sox were in the 40-60 range and springs were 50-70 ft range
Beauty day out there

Good day at Sandheads: Went 6 for 7 on sox. Very sporadic and never felt like I found a school of fish. 350 t0 400 feet deep was better it seemed and 40 to 60 on the rigger. I wonder if more fish are coming in? I sort of doubt it. I think lots moved up the river yesterday.

Good day at Sandheads: Went 6 for 7 on sox. Very sporadic and never felt like I found a school of fish. 350 t0 400 feet deep was better it seemed and 40 to 60 on the rigger. I wonder if more fish are coming in? I sort of doubt it. I think lots moved up the river yesterday.

There is another huge school coming. Was at Bonilla Point 7 days ago. That’s 200km from the mouth.

So how about the whale watching boats all well inside the 200 metre limit this morning chasing the small pod of whales all the way out the harbour and herding them off the North Arm while DFO tells us we can’t keep more than one Chinook ? Some were inside 200 feet at one point.

What a crock of ****.

Wild Whales Vancouver
Prince of Whales
Steveston Seabreeze Adventures
And another firm.

********!!!

Forgot to add:

I called the ORR line as DFO is the authority responsible for enforcing the 200 metre buffer.

If you see this, PLEASE report this stuff when it happens. If you check out these companies Instagram, Facebook Pages, and Twitter accounts they have plenty of pictures up since the new reg came into effect where they are in violation of the reg. Fancy lenses on cameras or not....it is clear....these whalewatchers are scofflaws.

We saw it as well. Really quite aggressive if not down right harassment.

I’ll be sure to call it in next time.

Report:

Managed 8 fish in the end yesterday. Fished 600’ at the end and the bites slowed way down. Went back in to 200’ and found a school.

Fished sandheads 330 to 7 yesterday. Had 6 socks by 530 and switched to chinook gear. Couldn't get the last two. 75 amd 80 on the riggers north of the light. Deep and shallow.

Well after being out on the Salt Friday and having a good day the wife decided Saturday was a good day to Deliver so 5:30 Am contractions start, get to the hospital at 7 AM and baby out by 7:16 am. Fastest limit for us yet… haha. Discharged 12 hours later to home. Yahoo!

My brother and dad were here for the weekend so got in a baby visit plus we decided to go out yesterday off the South Arm of the Fraser. They had never fished for sockeye before and thought it would be a great once in a four year lifetime opportunity.

Left the house around 6 am and out on the water around 730 fishing. To tell you the truth the first couple hours were the slowest part of our day. We would see the odd fish caught as we zig zagged our way through boats and out to deeper water. Then my 20 year old brother fell asleep and the deep rod released and line was pulling. I grabbed the rod and he quickly woke up, took the rod from me and after a fight we had our first fish on the boat. We circled around there and picked up a couple of more pretty quick. Then tides were changing and some really heavy weed lines on the rips were forming and we notice when we got close we either got weeds on our lines or sockeye. So then we just started trolling along this rip line. Then it came to a Y in the rip and right in the corner the fish were stacked like crazy. Every time we went through there we got a single or double header and quickly closed our limit of 12 and had lost another 6 or so. No crazy triple or quads today so took a little longer but was fun. We were running a little deeper today with balls as 77 and 70, two dummy flashers on each, lines at 67, 59, 60, 52. Even went down to 80 feet for a couple fish. All fish were caught trolling about 1.5 to 2.3 mph. I care more about the angle of the line. Like most guys say under 30 degrees for sox has been working for me. We were out in 45o feet of water when we found that good school and caught all our fish over 400 feet deep to the north off Sandhead light. We were using blue, chartreuse and green flashers with red, glow, uv and flash tape on them. All seem to work equally well. One key we seemed to notice was we add Mikes Krill Scent and at one point one side was getting all the action with two blue flashers. We were re scenting every time so we pulled up the other side and put fresh scent on. Then it was game on for both sides after that. So little details may sometimes pay off when the bite is a little tougher. Leader lengths were 22 to 26 inch. I usually put different lengths on all at once. Most fish on the custom googly eyed wild things I made or Pink hootchies.

Back at the dock we expected everyone was ripping back in with limits… but when we talked to 5 or six boats most were skunked and only a couple had caught a few. We were kinda shocked.

Anyways this is a totally first time thing for me this year and I appreciate all the guys who are sooooo helpful on this board. There are tons of details on here. I followed them all and it has worked every time I’ve been out so far! Thanks so much for all the help. See you out there on the water!

Anyways my buddy had invited me out for Tuesday with him so might be back out there then!

297YAZZ
IMG_5301 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
IMG_5338 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
IMG_5357 by Brandon Koperski, on FlickrIMG_5376 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
IMG_5378 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
IMG_5377 by Brandon Koperski, on
IMG_5382 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
IMG_5384 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
IMG_5414 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
IMG_5418 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
IMG_5420 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
IMG_5427 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
IMG_5428 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
IMG_5435 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
IMG_5439 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
IMG_5453 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
IMG_5543 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr

2 for 5 on sockeye out with the herd off the north arm. Standard pink hooch, short leader set up. Two dummies per side. 44' seemed to be the magic number for us this morning. tried briefly for a fat one between QA and bell buoy on the way home but to no avail. Huge amount of fish on the screen everywhere today.

99C231C6-2831-4750-9BF2-D81915BA552D.jpeg Great times on the local water - hope we get another week or more of this! Limit of 8 by 9:15am this morning. 75’ on the rigger at Sandheads in 150 - 300’ of water. Typical pink squirt hoochies & chartreuse flashers. Those slower days back in June seem like a long time ago now :). Best of luck out there.

Anyone been having any luck on the sockeye night bite? I seem to always get my sox in the early morning but wondering if anyones done well lately in the evening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back