2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Someone was cutting off floats and letting them drift last I was out. I picked up two floats within 5 mins with cut lines. Pretty crappy to litter the ocean with someone else's gear by cutting floats. If you have a problem with someone's gear at least be decent enough to steal the gear and throw it in the garbage or reuse.

Started fishing at about 12:45 today, jigged for about 15 minutes and then decided to troll due to the wind & tide picking up. Made a couple passes from green can down to the break water. As I was in the gap about to enter the start of the breakwater, I noticed a seal that had a nice size salmon in its mouth, so I decided to stay and do my laps in front of the breakwater. At about 1:30, I was the only boat out front, wind and chop had picked up, when the Coho and Pilot boat went by, it was a small break in the wave action, so I made 1 lap and was rewarded with a 10 lber, made another lap and the fight was on. Fishing solo, battling the waves, wind & current, Lime Ricky prevailed and I was rewarded with a 20lber. I put on a great show for the folks on the breakwater that were tuned in to the action.

66' Betsey, anchovie, green chrome teaser head, 2 hits, 10lber
55' Cop car flasher, anchovie, bloody nose, 1 hit 20lber

Too bad today wasn't the 26th and the derby was on. One of those days were you fish for an hour and a-half, and you're done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
The winds finally died yesterday evening so I decided to try for the night bite. Launched at Fleming 7:30. Had a 6lber in the boat by 7:45. Pretty much straight out from MacAlauy point. 100’ water. 60 on the downrigger. Green coho killer with lemon lime flasher.
Put my gear back in for another 15 minutes then decided to call it a night.

Good luck to everyone participating in the derby today!

Last edited:
Started fishing at about 12:45 today, jigged for about 15 minutes and then decided to troll due to the wind & tide picking up. Made a couple passes from green can down to the break water. As I was in the gap about to enter the start of the breakwater, I noticed a seal that had a nice size salmon in its mouth, so I decided to stay and do my laps in front of the breakwater. At about 1:30, I was the only boat out front, wind and chop had picked up, when the Coho and Pilot boat went by, it was a small break in the wave action, so I made 1 lap and was rewarded with a 10 lber, made another lap and the fight was on. Fishing solo, battling the waves, wind & current, Lime Ricky prevailed and I was rewarded with a 20lber. I put on a great show for the folks on the breakwater that were tuned in to the action.

66' Betsey, anchovie, green chrome teaser head, 2 hits, 10lber
55' Cop car flasher, anchovie, bloody nose, 1 hit 20lber

Too bad today wasn't the 26th and the derby was on. One of those days were you fish for an hour and a-half, and you're done.
nice job!!!!!

I’m surprised more people aren’t complaining about those crab pots. There’s a lot of them.

I’m really surprised commercial guys are allowed to operate in recreational waters. Seems counter intuitive. And dangerous to recreational boaters re navigation hazard and gear entanglement for fishers. And if they are allowed then they should be bound by the same limits as recreational fishermen.

Can anyone give us a report on the Esquimalt Anglers derby.
How many fish weighed in and how big???

Today Mark Dunn and I went to the salmon derby. At first light I got a big strike and fish on my line . I played with the big salmon; salmon ran 3 times away from the boat. Mark was trying to get the fish on the land net but the last run was like a freigt train. It was about 70 to 100 yards away from the boat and the salmon split the hook off.
Mark witnessed. It was approximately 25 to 30 lbs. If we got the fish land on the boat we would have won the derby.

Attachments

• 20180826_130842.jpg
    20180826_130842.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 82
Fished Friday all over Oak Bay. It was a long long shift. O bites, nothing nada, was a beauty day thou. Fished Saturday Afternoon into the night. Started the same way as Friday. But I could see fish on the sounder and the bite was later on. Starting at 5pm got my first hit. Did not stick. Then from 6:15pm to 7:25pm. Went 3 for 5. Released a small one 5lbs, Kept a 7 and 18lbs. The 18lbe was the best looking fish all season. Bright silver, hardly any sea lice and it jumped right out of the water about a 100 ft back in the moon light. Man wish I had a camera for that one.

Went to Sooke Sunday with my buddy Pretty Boyd Floyd. We went 3 for 3, 12, 14, 16 lbs.

Fished last friday constance and the flats, didn't get a sniff for a 6 hour grind. Outfitters and others were out too and we only saw one net come out at the flats, was a small one. Man after fishing Renfrew for a couple weeks its pretty demoralizing fishing the waterfront! Though its nice to see big fish are trickling in.

Back