Last minute island trip or stay in Sooke?

Aridhol

Hey everyone, my wife is taking the kids away for the long weekend (31st to 3rd) so I find myself alone with the boat.

I was hoping to get some suggestions on a quick trip somewhere on the island to do some long fishing days (with my luck). I would have the truck and trailer or if I could boat up and moor that would be neat/easy. I'd be looking for camping accommodations or cheap shoebox rooms.

The other option would be to moor at Cheanuh or Pedder and stick around in Sooke close to home.

Notes:
  • I fish Sooke 75% of the time and Victoria/OB the other 25% so it's been many years since I've fished anywhere except for a trip to Port Alberni. It would be nice to see someplace else if I could swing it cheap/easy.
  • Prefer to stay on the island for cost reasons.
  • I would absolutely need moorage
  • I would also need fish storage facilities or easy access to ice (if I catch anything :) )
  • Budget is gonna be as little as possible but I understand things cost money. Willing to spend it for a good time.
  • It would either be me alone or perhaps 1-2 other buddies.
  • No preference on west or east and I'd be targeting Salmon.

So what would you do in my position?

Maybe head to Renny. Fish Sox out deep, hit up the beach for springs, lings & hali out west? Rent a cabin in town, moor at one of the marinas.

Thanks guys.
Mulling around the idea of just grabbing a spot at cheanuh and keeping it simple

For the money and easy access and affordability you can't beat Sooke. Give Andy a shout at Sunny Shores, not fancy but cheap rooms full kitchens and he'll have moorage, gas, bait. If it was a quick trip there's no doubt that's where I would head. Coho should be in heavy by then too and still a few heavy Chinook lurking around and feeding.

Port alberni is where I would go myself. I love Sooke but it is also nice to actually drive and try other areas if you are flexible. This island is pretty dam small.

Last edited:
If you like to try new places, then go to Alberni. Always somewhere to fish there if the weather comes up. But note that you're learning a new place so your chances of catching fish go way down. Plus you'll have some driving to do. If you want to catch fish, stick with Sooke and maximize your fishing time, and you can focus on the places and techniques you've already learned about. If it were me, I'd keep it simple and fish Sooke, but it depends on what you're looking for out of your adventure weekend!

Stay home ,don't fish.get caught up ,start and finish what your wife has asked you to do around the home .When the wife gets back after trip with children ,most likely wife will want to sit back and enjoy the peace of home and with the stuff you have accomplished around the home you might recieve reward ,then go fishing .

Hah, I've been doing household chores all summer, time to fish.
Right now it's a toss up between alberni and trying to moor at cheanuh and find a place close by.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Looks like the sooke harbour marina is all booked up for those days.
Do you recall what the AirBNB was called?

We're up to 3 guys for the weekend so a nice place to relax not far from the boat and some amenities (beer) is what we're after.

Anyone know if there are campgrounds/accommodations on site at Cheanuh?

Sunny Shores. Camping, washrooms, moorage and fuel, and beers just up the road.

Thanks to everyone I did eventually just go to sunny shores and snagged a camp spot.
Excited to spend a good 3 days on the water. Hopefully the wind cooperates and I don't spend the whole time in the harbour.

Back