Gentlemen....we've edited out the f-bombs in this thread, because history shows that if we let one slide through it's only a matter of time before others take it as free license to ignore our forum policies as they pertain to language. Please respect our policies.

Gentlemen....we've edited out the f-bombs in this thread, because history shows that if we let one slide through it's only a matter of time before others take it as free license to ignore our forum policies as they pertain to language. Please respect our policies.

I was wondering what happened to the original language from Wolf’s post. You will note that I sanitized it when I quoted it. I don’t post using expletives. I edited my post to remove the sanitized expletive.

I was wondering what happened to the original language from Wolf’s post. You will note that I sanitized it when I quoted it. I don’t post using expletives. I edited my post to remove the sanitized expletive.
Thanks SP. That was duly noted.

So we all break the law every day!!! so are you going to confront everyone???
im sure you all dont do the posted speed limit at ALL times ??? are you going to drive up to a driver and say HEY YOUR SPEEDING!!!!!!!
MY point is what Im saying if you read it take the blame to DFO sometimes in that spot you get pinched or a big goob of kelp bed has come down on you and you really cant turn AT THAT spot so you go by a few feet . again not that big a deal what are you hurting???? NOTHING a boundary isnt a pencil line there is lea weight just like YOU speeding they give you a bit of "wiggle" room.
I stand by what I say there is 46 kms of shore line for the whale watchers and commercial boys to harass the whales this isnt going to change a thing as we wont be fishing much longer here anyways so give it a rest...

im sure you all dont do the posted speed limit at ALL times ??? are you going to drive up to a driver and say HEY YOUR SPEEDING!!!!!!!
MY point is what Im saying if you read it take the blame to DFO sometimes in that spot you get pinched or a big goob of kelp bed has come down on you and you really cant turn AT THAT spot so you go by a few feet . again not that big a deal what are you hurting???? NOTHING a boundary isnt a pencil line there is lea weight just like YOU speeding they give you a bit of "wiggle" room.
I stand by what I say there is 46 kms of shore line for the whale watchers and commercial boys to harass the whales this isnt going to change a thing as we wont be fishing much longer here anyways so give it a rest...

Respectfully, your post is not responsive at all to the point I was making. In fact, you persist in encouraging precisely the wrong attitude. Rather than providing a rational response to my point, you now say that it’s still not a “big deal” because of leeway (“lea weight”). In other words, according to you everyone can determine the extent to which they can break the rules, as long as it is only within some personally defined amount that you call leeway.

This concept of leeway is not, to my knowledge, a defence or excuse. What you are probably referring to is the old myth that prevails in the speeding context that goes something like this: it’s okay to speed as long as it’s no more than 10 km/h over the limit because no ticket will be issued until you exceed this “leeway”. There are probably people who can confirm that such “leeway” is not necessarily guaranteed.

It it true that the law does not concern itself with trifling violations and due diligence is available as a defence for regulatory offences, but none of this supports your general assertion that rule violations are not a “big deal.”

The problem with the view you cling to is a cultural one. It encourages testing the limits of the rules or ignoring them because it’s not a “big deal” if it’s only a few anglers or the rules were only infringed in a minor way.

In a regulatory environment where a resource is being managed to accommodate large numbers of resource users, enforcement cannot be the principal way the rules are used to protect the resource. There are simply too many users and it would be financially and practically impossible to have enforcement officers everywhere people are using the resource (i.e. fishing). Instead, the resource users themselves, as stewards of the resource, must be encouraged to follow the rules because they are the rules.

Opposition to the rules means you seek to have them changed but you do not ignore them.

In my opinion, anglers should treat the rules as pro golfers do. They call their own penalties, even though no one else witnesses the violation. Even when it costs them money to do so. This demonstrates ultimate respect for what the game - and its rules - mean.

With large populations exploiting fish in the modern world, the future for sport fishing lies in the rejection of the “slay em”, “fill the tub”, “bloody decks” attitudes that are far too prevalent. Keeping a few fish to eat is perfectly fine, but sport fishing is supposed to be about the experience, not the outcome. The steelheaders have it right: the sport is in the pursuit, maybe catching and releasing an extraordinary fish after a battle, all in a pristine wilderness. They spend tons of time and money doing it, but they would never dream of keeping a steelhead because that’s not necessary for the experience to be fantastically rewarding.

That’s why it’s a big deal to respect the rules: they are there to protect the resource. If we don’t protect the resource, then I fear their numbers will dwindle such that catch and release will not be optional for sport fishers of salmon in fresh or saltwater.

I guess nobody would complain if you use that wiggle room temporarily. But as I mentioned in my report when you fish at 2nd rock and you do your circles there then you go beyond just passing up a kelp float. And that is what I meant with fairness. It is not about being fair to the DFO. I guess we are all angry about their decision. It is more about fairness with respect to your fellow fishermen on the water. Fairness means playing by the same rules as all others next to you do. Your success should be the result of your skills/effort and luck and not by breaking rules.

Well ive been up there a TON this year and ill say more people are respectful there is only 3 or 4 that have pushed it to extreme , I personally phone DFO and said where is the line towards what??as its at the radio tower...yes I know but where is the other line.....as in the regs its VERY vauge so I turn at the tower on in a incoming flood in a ebb it really doesnt come into play much as the debris in the backeddy is full of ****....I have fished this spot for over 35 years I know how to fish it along with Rollie we all turn in the same spot god help us to get our hands slapped.
trust me my favorite spot has and always was 3rd rock but we will never fish it again thats the facts. today i wasnt even near that and did just fine .... how can you tell the season is close to a end .......= more complaining !!!!!!!!!!!

While I appreciate the fact that this subject has merit and is a touchy one given what has happened with the closure this season, it is time to get back to reports for this thread. If you want to start another thread dedicated to this topic feel free to start it somewhere else.

Respectfully, your post is not responsive at all to the point I was making. In fact, you persist in encouraging precisely the wrong attitude. Rather than providing a rational response to my point, you now say that it’s still not a “big deal” because of leeway (“lea weight”). In other words, according to you everyone can determine the extent to which they can break the rules, as long as it is only within some personally defined amount that you call leeway.

This concept of leeway is not, to my knowledge, a defence or excuse. What you are probably referring to is the old myth that prevails in the speeding context that goes something like this: it’s okay to speed as long as it’s no more than 10 km/h over the limit because no ticket will be issued until you exceed this “leeway”. There are probably people who can confirm that such “leeway” is not necessarily guaranteed.

It it true that the law does not concern itself with trifling violations and due diligence is available as a defence for regulatory offences, but none of this supports your general assertion that rule violations are not a “big deal.”

The problem with the view you cling to is a cultural one. It encourages testing the limits of the rules or ignoring them because it’s not a “big deal” if it’s only a few anglers or the rules were only infringed in a minor way.

In a regulatory environment where a resource is being managed to accommodate large numbers of resource users, enforcement cannot be the principal way the rules are used to protect the resource. There are simply too many users and it would be financially and practically impossible to have enforcement officers everywhere people are using the resource (i.e. fishing). Instead, the resource users themselves, as stewards of the resource, must be encouraged to follow the rules because they are the rules.

Opposition to the rules means you seek to have them changed but you do not ignore them.

In my opinion, anglers should treat the rules as pro golfers do. They call their own penalties, even though no one else witnesses the violation. Even when it costs them money to do so. This demonstrates ultimate respect for what the game - and its rules - mean.

With large populations exploiting fish in the modern world, the future for sport fishing lies in the rejection of the “slay em”, “fill the tub”, “bloody decks” attitudes that are far too prevalent. Keeping a few fish to eat is perfectly fine, but sport fishing is supposed to be about the experience, not the outcome. The steelheaders have it right: the sport is in the pursuit, maybe catching and releasing an extraordinary fish after a battle, all in a pristine wilderness. They spend tons of time and money doing it, but they would never dream of keeping a steelhead because that’s not necessary for the experience to be fantastically rewarding.

That’s why it’s a big deal to respect the rules: they are there to protect the resource. If we don’t protect the resource, then I fear their numbers will dwindle such that catch and release will not be optional for sport fishers of salmon in fresh or saltwater.

I generally concur with the concept of rules and their obedience of which you have written, but I personally don't mind slaying them and filling the tub whenever required. I love eating salmon and will follow the rules to take my desired allotment within the current 'rules' when needed. Sports fishing is a universal word that means different things to different people, yes, the experience is one important aspect but it is not the only aspect and the outcome (when available) can be equally important to many sports fisherman. I have fly fished and steelhead fished all my life but again, this form of sports fishing isn't the 'right' or the best, it's one facet of sports fishing.

I for one am not going to bat an eye if I happen to encroach on the boundary in a tack amongst the flotilla of boats at O.P. Nor will I pass judgement on the charter guides that push the limits of that boundary. They are fighting for their livelihood and are trying to keep the industry afloat amidst an unjust and unlawful restriction imposed on all, put in place solely to convince the world that the Canadian government is "pro conservation".(Which I seriously doubt any of them understand what that means)
Not once have I seen a charter guide fish exclusively inside the closed area; considering the traffic off the point it is almost impossible to not encroach on the closed area.

Respecting the law because it is "the law" is a submissive stance that makes the lawmaker's job easy and is the principal reason why the sportfishing industry is taking the brunt of the social media pressure to restrict salmon harvesting. If the governing laws were tailored to actually respect the resource,then it would take steps to preserve it, not throw a dollar store bandaid on it

If it had been the same issue if the boundary was Sheringham as originally declared there may be a little more cause for reaction.Considering their action, as far as I see it, if the governing body doesn't play by the rules of democracy, then why should we justify their actions with absolute compliance? How much complacency can we take?
I have said enough, now to get back to the reports......

Wow, a full page of rants and an admin course correction. Gotta learn to type faster.
But more importantly, GO FISHING!!!

Saxe Point I agree with you. However, Wolf's point is more about civil disobedience. DFO thru inconsistent application of its own laws has created a situation where they lack credibility, faith, and the confidence of the citizens. A clear path to managing to zero is presented daily. Hatred, discrimination, and feelings of despair and insult have been created by inequality of the rules to protect Salmon.
DFO's more than poor management and treatment of tax payers has created a situation where civil disobedience may be the only thing left for those who will not sit back and allow this to continue. Sometimes, bad laws need to be pushed back thru other means than debate and political action. Sometimes actions by bad government need to be addressed in a more effective way. A message needs to be sent.
One law for all. All are responsible for the environment and must take action equally to protect the resource.

J

One more time...

While I appreciate the fact that this subject has merit and is a touchy one given what has happened with the closure this season, it is time to get back to reports for this thread. If you want to start another thread dedicated to this topic feel free to start it somewhere else.

tenor.gif

Went out yesterday before work. Fished the Bedford’s to big church. I’m really liking that little “bay”. Fat sockeye maybe 8-9lb smashed my anchovy (peanut butter on a 6ft leader behind a madi flasher) at 58ft in tight and laid limp as I pulled her right up. First sockeye this year. Haven’t had enough patience to target them. Where should I go and how deep should I fish? Rig dummies and stack lines with lots of flash right? That was my only action in 4 hours.

Tips in boys

Back