Netting someone else’s fish wrapped on your downrigger

Jama

Was out the other day fishing in a tight area with 20 other boats. The boat in front of me hooks up in the hot spot so I turn off and give them plenty of room to play the fish. The boat behind us continues on and tangles up the fish as I see him cut his gear off. By now I’m 100+ yards away when it looks I have some weed on my line. Pull it up and I’m hooked to another line. I think I’m tangled as my other rod starts jerking too. Pull the downrigger on the other side and there is a fifteen lb spring wrapped up on the ball. My son grabs the net and I hand line the spring into it and pull it in the boat.
I did return the fish to the other boat but a few people I have talked too said I shouldn’t have. I was curious on other people’s opinions.

Sometimes accidents happen and fish run across others lines... sometimes its blatant obnoxisous boaters not payting attention to others... Avoid the potential hostility and return the fish. Right thing was done.

Fishing is a sport and we should be sportsmen. You did the right thing in returning the fish and gear. People remember you for doing good things. We also remember the jerks. I'll never forget the boat and crew that ran over a fish on its 3rd run when they had a whole ocean to move into. They were clearly aware of our fish on, too but maintained their tack and speed.
I'll do damn near anything to help a guy get his fish.

Exact thing happened to me this year. guy hooked up about 100 yards in front of my starboard bow and then his wife proceeded to do a 90’ turn to their port basically clotheslining me as his fish was ripping straight away from their stern. i turned hard as i could to starboard but the fish still wrapped on my port rigger. he had no idea either but i netted it about 12 lbs . i yelled “i got your fish” i returned it and he thanked me and offered me half the fish. i declined, he asked me what happened. i told him and to try and keep the boat straight next time as springs typically pull directly away from the resistance, and it would have been easier for me to casually move to my port without getting into his gear

Happened to me, I watched the guy net the fish just before my line snapped. I promptly motored over to him to get my gear back. The fish was still in his net with my flasher and spoon, I got my gear and fish. He was good about it. Thanks again, makes for a good fish story. Limitless
I mentioned it in the reports section and he replied.
I think it was 2years ago.

I would have given him back the fish as well, you did the right thing. Bet Karma has a 30 pounder out there for you!

I have always returned the fish when one gets into my gear. I want to catch my own fish not someone else’s. You did the right thing...was this at Otter Point on the afternoon flood bite? If so I had to go into neutral and pull gear as the line was under the bow of my boat too.

Well when it comes to fair chase.I would have realesed it ,if I did not want to record it on my licence.The fact you take another fisherman a dead fish and say its yours may not sit well with the fisherman, if infact they if the fisher wanted to keep the fish and not release it.Why put your self in harms way if you don't have anything to back it up.one chinook a day do you think i want yours?do i think the fisher that trolls with squads wants one back that I say is his?let it go and return the gear if you have the oppertunity(you must think it theres).

I don’t get why people fish that close to each other. I stay away from other boats. Call me anti social. Mob mentality. There’s 20 boats there..... there must be fish!!! Believe me there are fish in other places. Good of you to return it tho.

I don’t get why people fish that close to each other. I stay away from other boats. Call me anti social. Mob mentality. There’s 20 boats there..... there must be fish!!! Believe me there are fish in other places. Good of you to return it tho.
You and me both, pure insanity, i see it all the time lol

Happened to me yesterday, i gaffed it before to snapped the line off around my wire. Of course i returned the fish and gear

Witnessed a situation in Campbell River earlier this month where two guide boats got their lines tangled on the same fish. The lady that hooked the fish was older and it seemed likely that she was visiting and this was her first ever Salmon. Everyone cooperated, the fish was netted by the other guide and returned, along with the gear, to the lady that hooked it in the first place. It reminded me of my first time fishing Campbell River in the early eighties when it was full combat fishing with everyone packed into the area off the lighthouse. There was plenty of yelling and lines being cut etc as guys tried to maintain their fish! Thankfully, most on the water are more subdued or, as some have mentioned they just don't bother fishing in the pack. Unfortunately, if these closures continue to be enforced, more people will be pushed into tighter areas just to have a chance at a Salmon, so hopefully the same level of respect and calm can be maintained!

Back