First post ever. Was out early yesterday for sockeye with the grand kids. No luck in the group of 30 boats in front of Sooke though we saw some being caught. Headed out to deeper water where we had done well in recent days and finally hit a double header at 8:30 but only landed one because the crew were both sleeping. One woke up in time to net her first fish and provide some 'entertainment' as she poked it three times before finally scooping it up.

Fished Pedder yesterday with my 8yr old grandson. He's been out with me a couple of times but has yet to land a keeper, unlike his 10yr old brother who's landed a couple this year. He got two almost legal springs to the boat yesterday. Getting closer so we will keep trying.

fished from 7.oo-12.oo this am used pink hoochys and anchovies from 400 ft to around secretary isle. tried various depths on the riggers only one 12 inch shaker for my efforts. seen very few of anything being caught...……….C.A.

First post ever. Was out early yesterday for sockeye with the grand kids. No luck in the group of 30 boats in front of Sooke though we saw some being caught. Headed out to deeper water where we had done well in recent days and finally hit a double header at 8:30 but only landed one because the crew were both sleeping. One woke up in time to net her first fish and provide some 'entertainment' as she poked it three times before finally scooping it up.
Well, Bill. You just earned your fist like too!
Keep up the reports buddy

Out this morning from Cheanna.Dropped the lines in at Aldridge hoping for another early slab but nothing.Pulled the gear and ran to the Trapshack and managed a 18 lber around 10:00AM that we almost lost due to the poor design of a new net I recently purchased.( See "Landing Net Woes" thread for my net review).Lots of feed and fish showing on the sounder and looked like it could be a fun day until the whales rolled through from the east with no less than a dozen whale watcher boats totally surounding
them like flies on ****.Fished till 3:00PM anyway as it was a beauty day on the water but nothing else.

Was fishing Otterpoint again yesterday from 5:30pm to 8:30 pm. When I came around the point the two boats in front of me fishing to west in about 50' of water got springs on right at the edge of the closed area. I was stoked and waited for my rods to start bouncing any moment. When I turned my both rods got pin poppers but nothing stuck. Not sure what it was as the anchovies were still ok. Anyhow there were only about 5 others boats and I kept circling in front of the point. Two boats started fishing into the closed area and were instantly rewarded with more springs. I kept circling with the other law abiders in front of the point and watched the show of the two boats scooping springs close to 2nd rock until they limited out. As a firm believer in karma I was sure I'll get rewarded that would exceed everything imaginable. So I stuck to the open area. Eventually at 8:30pm it was obvious: I got skunked. Seems life is not always fair and karma doesn't always work either.

Was fishing Otterpoint again yesterday from 5:30pm to 8:30 pm. When I came around the point the two boats in front of me fishing to west in about 50' of water got springs on right at the edge of the closed area. I was stoked and waited for my rods to start bouncing any moment. When I turned my both rods got pin poppers but nothing stuck. Not sure what it was as the anchovies were still ok. Anyhow there were only about 5 others boats and I kept circling in front of the point. Two boats started fishing into the closed area and were instantly rewarded with more springs. I kept circling with the other law abiders in front of the point and watched the show of the two boats scooping springs close to 2nd rock until they limited out. As a firm believer in karma I was sure I'll get rewarded that would exceed everything imaginable. So I stuck to the open area. Eventually at 8:30pm it was obvious: I got skunked. Seems life is not always fair and karma doesn't always work either.
Very sorry and sad to read this Fishhook. Raises a moral dilemma, I know, but I would probably have taken photos and submitted them to authorities. I know others will leap on here and yell "snitch" but where do we draw the line? We may not like or agree with the regulations, but what should we do if we saw them fishing with multiple barbed hooks, or setting nets for the fish? If we all fished where and how we wanted to, anarchy and chaos would break out, with consequences for the resource and for the rest of us who obey the rules.
OK, I will submit to my beating now......:(

It would appear some folks break the rules because they know they can
do it with little or no consequence.
A first time offense probably gets them $150.00 fine.
They play the odds and sometimes win.

Confront them. Pull up your gear. Go over to them and say"Did you know...............". We have alot of visitors here fishing and some have no clue. I,ve stopped and talked to two Oak Bay Marina rentals who were jigging in Rockfish conservation areas last week. Both seemed nice enough and said they had no idea. So maybe give them the benefit of the doubt. If after you talking and they continue well DFO enforcement monitors channel 16 when they are in the area.

Does anyone know how long the sockeye return may last through the sooke area and have the test fisheries further up the west coast of Isle. put out any numbers recently ? THANX in advance for any info...….C.A.....

You guys make me laugh why does it bother you soo much sounds like a bit of jealousy to me there is 46 KMS of shoreline they took away if someone choses to go into it by 50 feet BIG DEAL!!!!! it really isnt the end of the world seriously, if it "offends you" so much dont fish there stay away. the one you should be angry at is DFO and there stupid ways for doing something, that was to kill sooke fishery along with pender and other areas VENT it on them and no one else they are the ones who have completely screwed this up....
Rant done
As for fishing sooke sockeye are tough right now, springs have been good one day slow the next we are getting close to staging time with springs so your going to get some more aggressive hits etc , best advice I can give you use thicker leaders and check them ofton as these teeth are getting sharp now got a mle 20 lber today and he already had a kipe and nasty teeth....WEEDS are horrid in am FYI now go back to fishing and enjoy yourselfs as im sure we wont be soon enough the way things are going!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

For the guys that have been fishing here for many years and have the experience, can we expect another wave of Sockeye to blow by or have the majority gone now and we are left with stragglers ? Or is it just anyone's guess?

Was out on Sunday for the first light shift. You guys should be able to smell the skunk through the internet. Not even a shaker. Tried everything I could think of. Going to give er another go in the am. Hopefully I’ll have a better report for ya. Any advice?

Tips in boys

I always get a kick out of people on here. Anytime someone happens to bend a rule or extend a law just a little it's a fricken feeding frenzy from the holier than thou crowd. Yet time and time again we see pictures of open booze in boats, just the other day there was a pic with an empty 26 of Rum in a cooler with the fish. Not saying I give two ***** what ever your comfortable with but why are we so comfortable with people drinking on the water yet heaven forbid someone go over an imaginary line by 50' or God no,, fly a little drone 20' off the water a mile away from an airport,, let's crucify the bastards.

Again not that I give two ***** either way but just sayin.

For the guys that have been fishing here for many years and have the experience, can we expect another wave of Sockeye to blow by or have the majority gone now and we are left with stragglers ? Or is it just anyone's guess?

There are still more. The test fishery up from Sooke still indicates more are moving through. I heard from one guy today he got them really deep 120-130ft. Interesting though as soon as this smoke started it turned off.

I was out Monday right off the harbour. It was slow closer in but when I went out a little further, 400-450 ft and dropped down to 100-120 ft on the downrigger, I started catching them. Had my limit in the boat and was home for lunch. Hopefully they stick around for a few more weeks.

Went out of Cheanuh at 8 and hit Aldridge. The kids picked up a 9lb sockeye in the first 20 minutes and then the wind and fog rolled in. Moved with the flood over to the Bedfords and found the Sockeye tight to the beach. The kids reeled in another nice one, lost 3 more and had other hits. I also had a small teener spring spit the hook. Despite the fog and wind, it was a pretty fun morning.

Out in the fog today from 6-2, starting in 500' out from the head looking for sockeye. Went 1 for 5 until 8am then switched up gear for springs around Secretary, then the trap and back to the head. Not a bite until noon when we got into a triple header in close behind the head. With the tide ripping, wind blowing and weed everywhere turned into a big cluster-F%$k. The first fish swam under the boat while tide spun us around and managed to tangle all three lines. I lost mine on the second rod and when my partner lost the fish on the first line he threw the rod down and jumped on the 3rd line which now had fish on. It started a run and dragged the first rod across the boat and got stuck between the motors before it went out the back. All I needed was to lose yet another rod over the side. Now the birdsnest of flashers and hooks were rapped around the end of the 3rd rod with a decent size spring swimming along the surface behind the boat and unable to reel it in. Made a mistake to try and hand line it in but was lucky not to loose a finger or two when it took another run. It eventually got off so 0 for 3 on that mayhem. Did manage a 10lb at Aldridge on the way back into the bay, so not a total lose, and didn't loose any gear.

My buddy got 4 springs yesterday in the same spot at the head under ideal conditions.

You guys make me laugh why does it bother you soo much sounds like a bit of jealousy to me there is 46 KMS of shoreline they took away if someone choses to go into it by 50 feet BIG DEAL!!!!! it really isnt the end of the world seriously, if it "offends you" so much dont fish there stay away. the one you should be angry at is DFO and there stupid ways for doing something, that was to kill sooke fishery along with pender and other areas VENT it on them and no one else they are the ones who have completely screwed this up....
Rant done
As for fishing sooke sockeye are tough right now, springs have been good one day slow the next we are getting close to staging time with springs so your going to get some more aggressive hits etc , best advice I can give you use thicker leaders and check them ofton as these teeth are getting sharp now got a mle 20 lber today and he already had a kipe and nasty teeth....WEEDS are horrid in am FYI now go back to fishing and enjoy yourselfs as im sure we wont be soon enough the way things are going!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

I cannot agree with your criticism of Englishman’s point (shared by others) about the rules. The rules apply to all and no one is entitled to say they apply to everyone else but not me. To simply say it is not a “big deal” is completely wrong. It means people can ignore the rules on the basis that it has no impact on the resource. But if everyone takes this view, then the rule effectively ceases to exist, and the resource is harmed. But more importantly, respect for, and ultimately adherence to, the rule of law, is eroded. This, in turn, leads to the chaos and anarchy of which Englishman speaks.

It’s such an insidiously wrong way to think. Today, it’s a few boats, a few feet over the line. Tomorrow, encouraged by comments like yours, it will be 50 boats. And because it’s not a “big deal”, a few feet becomes a few miles. And because, just as the police can’t be everywhere and neither can the enforcement arm of DFO, the rules keep getting ignored because the risk of apprehension is so small.

It’s so easy to say it’s not a “big deal” with respect to almost all the rules. Barbed hooks, size limits, catch number and species limits etc. Each angler so inclined justifies their infringement by saying things like “it’s not going to make a difference”, “it’s only one fish”, “it’s a fraction of inch under (or over)”. Of course if one angler can exempt himself from the rules, they all can. And ultimately the rule, which was designed and legislated to protect the resource, is ignored and the resource is imperiled.

But thankfully the honour system upon which these rules depend is followed by many, I would like to think most, anglers. They follow the rules to respect the resource and the rule of law. They express their concerns about or disagreements with the rules not by breaking them, but by seeking to change then through the accepted, established and democratic means by which laws are enacted, changed and repealed.

I am sorry, but there is no room for dangerous arguments like “it’s no big deal” if we want to respect the resource and the rule of law.

Last edited:
Back