2018 Sidney Reports

It's a bit of a run from Sidney but what about East Pt / Tumbo Island area? Looks like the area is open open on the east side of Saturna and I remember seeing schooling sockeye in that area years ago. Never fished it though.

You're right that is open, might be worth a run.

Fished Hamley 9-11. Then tried powder wharf for about 15 minutes but there was salad everywhere. Finally tried up and down the spit until 3. No success save for a couple of feeder springs. Was like fishing in a bathtub. Only a couple of boats out trying the same today.

From town it looked like you needed to have your radar on out there in the smoke. Reminded me of offshore on the west coast.

I've caught plenty of socks before, so I know what I'm doing. How in the heck do they get from JDF to the Fraser? They're obviously not passing Sidney.

A lot of them cut over to the US side of Haro Strait. Lots of jumpers and we’re catching them right now.

A lot of them cut over to the US side of Haro Strait. Lots of jumpers and we’re catching them right now.
I was thinking of heading out between Sidney Island and the border. Are they close in on the American side or spilling across the border into Canada?

I was thinking of heading out between Sidney Island and the border. Are they close in on the American side or spilling across the border into Canada?

Not sure about out in the middle but they’re in pretty thick inshore within at least a half mile. I don’t venture out beyond that.

I caught 3 a few weeks ago near Tumbo Island. Fishing was spotty. I also saw some jumpers near Sidney spit about 10 days ago. On Monday, I tried looking for Sox east of Sidney Island off of Hamley but couldn't find anything. I have heard reports that they have shown up off of the Pender bluffs but of course they are closed there. So, they seem to be a bit spotty at best. Hopefully, they show up in force soon and hold somewhere long enough to get a crack at them.

How in the heck do they get from JDF to the Fraser?

Some of of them shoot across to Whidbey Island, then north to Lummi Island, then Point Roberts, then Fraser mouth.
American native/commercials use reef nets at Lummi and were seining Point Roberts near the ferry the other day.

Honey Im hoooooome!

How has the fishing been out in Sidney lately? Gonna fish the anglers derby tomorrow so you may see me out there. Just gotta catch up on all the local regs and rig my boat up today. Glad to be back and I hope you all had a productive summer!

Welcome back Colin, everything is great here. You should start at the pender bluffs tomorrow and move towards fairfax and coal and see how it goes!
o_O
I’m kidding, but I’m sure you will figure out the hit spots quickly and looking forward to more reports.

How many tyees did you get to the boat up north and did that released 42 hold up as the biggest? (I would imagine it did, those don’t happen every day)

There was a 43 and a 41 released as well but mine looked a bit bigger in the photos... so who knows. Taping a fish leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Had more tyees to the boat than in the boat but unfortunately thats how it goes. If you havent lost any, you havent caught many!

There was a 43 and a 41 released as well but mine looked a bit bigger in the photos... so who knows. Taping a fish leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Had more tyees to the boat than in the boat but unfortunately thats how it goes. If you havent lost any, you havent caught many!
What is the best technique for measuring a fish before releasing it?

If theyre played out, you net it with a C&R net and tape it quickly, maybe snap a photo then revive it in the water outside of the net holding it by the tail, supporting the whole body as you lift from net to water.

Picked up this 21 pound wild Spring off of Wymond (Sidney Island) this evening on the evening flood. Terrific fight. Thick fish. Nice to catch a big fish near home after a few recent skunks. 75' on purple/bronze flasher with anchovy and purple teaser. Caught him a day to early as the Sidney Anglers members derby is tomorrow.

Back