Circle Hooks for Chinook

Rockfish

Have had a fair number of larger Chinook shake the hook the last couple of weeks on our boat.

I am considering experimenting with circle hooks in hoochies for big Chinook. I know there has been discussion in the past about the effectiveness of doing so. IE. Decreases hook ups but also decrease greatly salmon that get off once hooked up. I have read that they hook up better than you would think as salmon tend to twist and turn away once they strike and that helps the circle hook work in to wrap around the jaw bone or corner of the mouth and once fully set they are very unlikely to shake the hook, even if they get slack.

Some think they work well but very few use them which is in itself interesting.

In the area we fish ( Sooke) over the past few years the largest Chinook we have got in has been in the lower 30’s but have kept some from about 6lbs and up. As I understand it the hook would often fit around the jaw to hold the fish and as there is quite a variance in jaw size, what would be the best size # for the hook? I would prefer to select for bigger fish and let the smaller one’s have a lower hook up rate if hook size is a factor with circle hooks. I am thinking that it could be an advantage to keep off all the shakers and very small salmon and wonder if the circle hooks would do that while still hooking up the big ones.

For those who have used them:

- What is your opinion on hook up rates and general use?
-What brand and type circle hook work best for salmon? I am thinking stainless.
-What size number would work best to maximize both hook up rate and proper setting around the jaw for salmon in the 13 to 35lb class or a more average decent fish of about 20lbs.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that circle hooks are as effective on chinooks as they are on halibut. I had tried circle hooks before, with little success. I'm not sure if it is because of how a chinook strikes versus bottom fish, which tend to inhale bait. Just not for me. I'll stick with the tried and true method of using tandem 4/0 or 5/0 hooks.

Yeah I suspect you'd be really disappointed trolling artificials with circles for salmon; I could be wrong, but doubt I am,

fb

Used #5 Gamagatsu circle hooks changed out on Skinny G's. Lost 2 large chinooks due to poor hook ups recently. I'd say no better than standard hooks. In any case please do not use stainless.

Used #5 Gamagatsu circle hooks changed out on Skinny G's. Lost 2 large chinooks due to poor hook ups recently. I'd say no better than standard hooks. In any case please do not use stainless.

I agree with all on the no circle hooks for salmon. But why no stainless?

Let us know how it works out. I think it might be a bit of a challenge using circle hooks, I also think Circle hooks take the Sport out of Fishing as the big ones are supposed to get away that's why its fishing not catching. Very interesting thought thou.

Reactions: NAD
Let us know how it works out. I think it might be a bit of a challenge using circle hooks, I also think Circle hooks take the Sport out of Fishing as the big ones are supposed to get away that's why its fishing not catching. Very interesting thought thou.

Interesting thought. I suspect it balances out somewhat when we remove the barb. JDF is just full of very small salmon right now, many hatchery and mostly Chinook, from six inches to 3 pounds and they have been getting hooked up a lot, which is unfortunate. I am wondering if the circle hooks would stop that while still hooking up the bigger ones.

I tried a circle hook on a hootchie a few months ago. I think it was Owner 6/O. I hooked up to a wild coho maybe 5 lbs. hook was right in the corner of the lower jaw. It was damn near impossible to unhook because you have to rotate it so much. I think once they get hooked on a circle hook, they're going to stay hooked. Which is great when playing for keeps. but if you catch a lot of unders or wild coho, its harder to release them. I've also tried running them on a loop of braid about an inch behind a spoon, no hits that day though.

This as close to a circle hook as I'll go-because it's SS easy enough to bend/twist and kirbed hooks are an old design-sticks like glue but as mentioned isn't the strongest.

20180820_175848_1.jpg

20180820_180008_1.jpg

they work but here is one thing you don't do or why so many think they don't work

do not and i repeat do not strike .... wait till it pops off the clip and swim's away and just take up any slack line...
barbless small circle hooks are the best for casting lures off the beach
so many people i see using buzz bombs with the supplied treble which make a darn mess of under size ... small fish ...

just tied up a load for socks on the pink MB stuff ....

MB pink squirt on swivel thread on a small split ring and then attach a barbless circle

again don't strike ....

Those claw style octopus hooks like Dogbreath showed are my favourites

Ask 100 hi-liner's what they use & why you'll get at least 100 answers concerning hoochie's.

I am old school & old & always have used 4/0 or 5/0 mustad 95170xx SS; with the 4/0 for needlefish hoochies & the 5/o for octopus & kanjeki hoochies. The mustad 95170xx SS is kirbed hook as mentioned by dogbreath.

I dusgree about stainless being soft; I find it just the opposite - brittle. I always close the eye & crimp the barb with a vise, using slow even pressure. With the barb crimped as above, a large hump is formed, which I believe helps keep the fish on., and meets both the letter & spirit of the law. This hooks need aggressive sharpening; the vise is your friend.
I use beads/gum puckies as needed to make sure the joint between the barrel swivel & eye of the hook are where the hoochie body turns from solid to tassels & that the weight of the hook & it's position combined with a 50# leader 4x the length of the flasher give it an extra kick.

If a lighter hook is desired, the owner & matzuo siwash are kirbed & are already sharp.

As for circle hooks for Salmon, there are required in California when using bait. As mentioned by wildman, don't set the hook.

IMO you are loosing fish as you mention due to the Flasher not the style of hook. I detest Flashers & now that there are spoons & plugs that imitate needlefish I see no need for inline flashers for a skilled sports fisher out on his own; especially with the lower limits.

Ask 100 hi-liner's what they use & why you'll get at least 100 answers concerning hoochie's.

I am old school & old & always have used 4/0 or 5/0 mustad 95170xx SS; with the 4/0 for needlefish hoochies & the 5/o for octopus & kanjeki hoochies. The mustad 95170xx SS is kirbed hook as mentioned by dogbreath.

I dusgree about stainless being soft; I find it just the opposite - brittle. I always close the eye & crimp the barb with a vise, using slow even pressure. With the barb crimped as above, a large hump is formed, which I believe helps keep the fish on., and meets both the letter & spirit of the law. This hooks need aggressive sharpening; the vise is your friend.
I use beads/gum puckies as needed to make sure the joint between the barrel swivel & eye of the hook are where the hoochie body turns from solid to tassels & that the weight of the hook & it's position combined with a 50# leader 4x the length of the flasher give it an extra kick.

If a lighter hook is desired, the owner & matzuo siwash are kirbed & are already sharp.

As for circle hooks for Salmon, there are required in California when using bait. As mentioned by wildman, don't set the hook.

IMO you are loosing fish as you mention due to the Flasher not the style of hook. I detest Flashers & now that there are spoons & plugs that imitate needlefish I see no need for inline flashers for a skilled sports fisher out on his own; especially with the lower limits.
ericl: You fish your hootchies much the same as I do except I use 40 lb. Maxima for leader, with the occasional 60 lb. P-Line. I use the same hooks at times but also use Mustad 9510ss as I like their lighter weight to the 95170. I will curve the tip of the 9510ss hooks in with a needle nose plier which makes them similar to the other hooks but slightly lighter I believe.
...Rob

I have tried circle hooks several times with mixed success using the hang back spoon method https://outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/the-trailing-hook-method/
I've used this with spoons, Hootchies and bait . I have caught fish on both spoons and Hootchies this way, but not bait. The circle hook always hooks into the corner of the jaw and releases quickly and easily with a full turn of the hook, pliers help with this. I am still experimenting. Sometimes I think it affects the amount of strikes I get, other times it will out fish the control side, so I dunno. I do know, once the fish is on the circle hook, it stays there until I decide it should come off.

Fish exclusively with Circle hooks, including for anchovies. 5/0 for hootchies, spoons, and 5/0 with a 1/0 stinger for herring and anchovie.

Been using circle hooks since 1999. Used to live in Florida. All bill fish tournaments use circle hooks. Marlin will often jump 30 times in a long fight, and still are landed.

For trolling, if circle hooks did not set, you would be seeing trip outs, with no hook up. Circle hooks, sized properly, set very well.

I have been accused of using barbed hooks for many years at Nootka because people see us fighting a fish that jumps 4 - 5 times and is still netted. I have given people packs of 5/0 circle hooks at Tutta Marina, Critter Cove, and Moutcha Bay, after explaining why we do not lose a fish very often.

IF a fish does in fact swallow the hook, then there will be gut / gill damage. VERY RARE to see that happen. Otherwise, turn the hook 180 degrees and push "IN", and the hook comes out. No other way to get the hook out regardless which part of the mouth the fish is hooked in.

You do not worry about setting the hook after you trip out of your release clip. The fish is already hooked. Just reel it in.

On the Stainless Steel issue, I have not found stainless steel circle hooks in many years. Manufacturers are going away from Stainless Steel because the hook does not rust out.

On a side note, VMC makes a "vanadium" circle hook that holds its edge and does not corrode, if you are worried about maintaining sharpness.

Drewski

Eagle Claw makes a line called "Circle Sea" that are barbless. They work good on spoons, but do eventually rust up as they are just tinned.

VMC is a favorite because it is a lighter wire, but but good and stiff, so in an Anchovy rig, it does not impede the action.

Key with any Anchovy rig is to jam a tooth pick into the hole the line passes through to "stop" the head holder from sliding down, then push a tooth pick from behind the gill down to the tail and make sure that there is a "curve" to the bait, then trim the tooth pick with a set of nail clippers for any exposed end. Now the Anchovy will always roll true, and not ball up and spin.

Drewski

@Drewski Canuck I want to try some of these circle hooks. Which one, VMC 7385 or VMC 7381 or ? So many models of VMC on amazon!

Update - Can't even find a 5/0 circle hook at Trotac or Island Outfitters let alone a 1/0. These must be really small in size. Maybe that's the secret. Everybody who tries a circle hook is using the larger ones in stores and they are too big. I can totally understand that.

Last edited:
Back