Smoked canned salmon!

Osprey16

just need some quick advise gonna try and do a quick hour smoke of the fish then can it, when you do this method should you brine the fish or just do a quick smoke and will an hour in the smoker give it a nice smoke taste?

I'm no pro but have been smokin fish myself for over 30 years.

I also have done just one small piece of smoked like 1/4 of entire jar, then the raw fish ........ Then can it.

It spreads the flavour to the entire rest of it. Yummy.

I Always do a regular full smoke method of brine, dry, smoke ........ Then canning if that what your after. I'm sure others will chime in.

Good luck.

^^^ I do the same as high tide and it's great.

I asked about this last winter and it certainly was not as well recieved then lol. I'm definitely going to give it a try. I also just thought about adding a touch of liquid smoke to my jars instead.

I filleted the salmon quickly threw it in the smoker for an hour and 15 then canned it turned out pretty tasty!

I brine the fish and then smoke it about 1/2 as long as a normal hot smoke. Then I can it for 90 minutes at 10lbs. I like my smoked salmon to be boneless so whenever I do a batch of hot smoke I keep the shoulders which often have some bones and I use them for canned smoked since the bones cook down and nobody ever notices them. I have had nothing but positive reviews on my canned smoked. It is excellent mixed with cream cheese and spread on crackers.

I also like high tides idea but the one benefit of smoking the fish more before canning it is that you end up with a firmer texture to the fish and it flakes really nicely for cream cheese spreads. If my goal was to eat it like regular canned salmon and use it predominantly for sandwiches then I likely would lean towards high tides method.

Back