Landing a sockeye without a net

Nice and smooth!
Only thought I have is about fish battering itself on deck and bruising meat?

great little video, tough to bonk in the cooler, I use the plastic baby tub 1st, bonk gill deslime a bit and then into cooler.

I do the same. Notice fish doesn’t do the death roll till it hits the deck. Bonk it before you set it down.
I agree or even bonk it while the body is still in the water. A freak out is very rare when just the head is pulled out.

Dropped it on the floor for the video, the red bucket at the back of the boat is where i drop the sockeye in
i don't even take the hooks out of it's mouth just leave it in the bucket till the new gear is dropped , i have few extra of
the exact same gear tide and ready to go, snap off snap on the new and continue fishing right away while there's a
school on me, then deal with the fish in the bucket right away. limits can come fast and furious so speed is key

Last edited:
Great job so smooth. What do you do with the flipper floppers though?
I try and play those ones out on the side of the boat not the back it's weird when there at the back of the boat
they can spit that hook, soon as i T bone them feel like you have more control, to much surfing in the back they wanna jump
and do the coho death roll, i've still just pulled those floppy ones over.

I always wanted to try a fly fishing net for Sox. Short, light, easy to handle and hopefully scoop the sockeye into the boar with ease. Anyone else try one yet?

The Commerical guys just seem to hold a small net under the Sockeye as they swing
them aboard, have not seen one fall off into the water yet. ....BB

Nets? Used to work on a 54 foot freezer troller. Only time we used a net was to scoop up Japanese glass floats! Just always gaffed them in the head and swung them into the checkers. 8 for 8 last time out.

Back