2018 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

A 25’ tall salmon! Must be a word record. I must say that is a damn nice screen

Just back from Nootka. Dead would be an understatement on the inside. Camel Rock, 30ish boats trolling all evening, seen two nets out. Other spots, groups trolling and NO NETS for 4 hours.

Guides are running 38 miles to Esperanza Channel, and out into the sound, and there are lots of fish, if you have the gas and boat to do it.

Lighthouse was relatively dead the whole time, but some caught in tight at Burdwood. First light bite that ended quickly.

Most fish that came in where black, so they came in, found their home stream, and headed back out to feed until the rain hits. Funny thing, is not even dog fish??? Not much bait in the lighthouse and inside right now.

A lot of people where heading home early after poor fishing for 3 or 4 days straight.

There were no Springs sounding in Moutcha bay, while last year it was packed at this time.

Drewski

Just back from Nootka. Dead would be an understatement on the inside. Camel Rock, 30ish boats trolling all evening, seen two nets out. Other spots, groups trolling and NO NETS for 4 hours.

Guides are running 38 miles to Esperanza Channel, and out into the sound, and there are lots of fish, if you have the gas and boat to do it.

Lighthouse was relatively dead the whole time, but some caught in tight at Burdwood. First light bite that ended quickly.

Most fish that came in where black, so they came in, found their home stream, and headed back out to feed until the rain hits. Funny thing, is not even dog fish??? Not much bait in the lighthouse and inside right now.

A lot of people where heading home early after poor fishing for 3 or 4 days straight.

There were no Springs sounding in Moutcha bay, while last year it was packed at this time.

Drewski

Thats disappointing. I was there July 1-15 a couple of trips total of 11 days and the inside was dead then. You could find some fish but you had to work for it. Looks like it never came on as usual in the inside this year at all. Thats a bad sign. That happened to us in 2016. That year we had to run up to Rosa from Nootka every day. Things were excellent up there that year too. Strange how Esperanza an be good and Nootka touch and go. Be interested to hear the return numbers for the Conuma this year. Fingers crossed this is an anomaly.

PM fish yesterday. Out to Wash, got into a few Coho and a small Spring. Lots of bait there. Another boat was up near Maquinna and caught a few nice fish. Got into a few nice Coho at the light inside Burdwood and between Tuta and Camel. More of an orientation tour than a hardcore expedition. Limits in from Esperanza and one other location, can't really say at this point...

Have to say Esperanza was/is the place to be this year I spent a lot of time in Esperanza this summer and the cleaning tables were packed-mostly off-shore but after Aug 6th there were lots of fish inside. Aug 8th I had 16 good size Springs on at Rosa by 10 am before we knocked it on the head and went looking for coho and lings. I think Conuma will get their allotted fish no problem-just like last year but for whatever reason the fish seem to be sticking to Esperanza. Another thing of note Ferrar never really turned on this year and even the guides had abandoned it long before the july 15th closing opting for the whales tail or one of the other off-shore points. Keep an eye on the road to Tahsis-rumour is it will be almost fully paved by next summer with the exception of 1 hill- might want to have a hard think on next summers plans. Just my 2 cents!!

Please forgive me if this have been mentioned somewhere else but I am looking for GPS coordinates for Whales Tail (offshore) and the Guitar outside Esperanza. Would someone be kind enough to provide these?

Fished the Ammo Dump yesterday. Limited out on Rockers fairly quickly. Ran out the can, no salmon and only baby lings with a few more rockers all the way back in. No Halis. Trolled Maquinna and Wash briefly at the end of the day. Nada. Not too many other boats and very quiet on the radio. All but done on the outside???

Sorry to throw a wrench into the gloom and doom but we had one of the best nights this year at Wash two nights ago.

Also one of our guides had a couple well deserved days off and fished with his Uncle Sunday morning at Camel and caught 6 Springs by 0830.

I’m not trying to blow smoke but it’s 1000% better than last year at this time.

Mike

Pic to follow.

Sorry to throw a wrench into the gloom and doom but we had one of the best nights this year at Wash two nights ago.

Also one of our guides had a couple well deserved days off and fished with his Uncle Sunday morning at Camel and caught 6 Springs by 0830.

I’m not trying to blow smoke but it’s 1000% better than last year at this time.

Mike

Pic to follow.
Great to hear ! you deserve it...All the hours you put in ! Awesome news !

I'm coming up to Moutcha for the long weekend. is there any good crabbing in the Bay there? or you have to go out looking? Want a little extra for the camping dinner.
Also what colors are working well on the inside right now for salmon?

Last edited:
Fished Esperanza Saturday (Sept 1) and Sunday (Sept 2).
Sat: 3 Chinook and lost 1 - Saltry Bay / Rosa
Sun: 1 Chinook - Saltry Bay

I did not talk to anyone, so unsure how others were doing but did see a nets out, so still a few Chinook around. For us, largest 24 lbs. Others - mid teens. All fish on anchovies - 45-50 feet.

The pod of orcas swimming to the mouth Esperanza was a surprise - never seen them in Esperanza before.

My daughter and I fished Esperanza area Aug 30 and 31st. Weather was sunny and seas calm. We caught a couple springs near Rosa Island, then moved out towards the whales tail. Got our limit of halibut both days. The coho were thick.

A number of them were hatchery fish. Caught some nice springs, including a beautiful 33 lber for my girl. Tomic 6" blue #500 UV plug. She was the proudest fisher you ever saw. Our guide was top notch.

We had a very memorable outing.

My daughter and I fished Esperanza area Aug 30 and 31st. Weather was sunny and seas calm. We caught a couple springs near Rosa Island, then moved out towards the whales tail. Got our limit of halibut both days. The coho were thick.

A number of them were hatchery fish. Caught some nice springs, including a beautiful 33 lber for my girl. Tomic 6" blue #500 UV plug. She was the proudest fisher you ever saw. Our guide was top notch.

We had a very memorable outing.
Who did you have?/

Went 20k pastwhalestail last Saturday looking for long fins. Didn’t find blue water. Ran down and out south for 40km. Water turned blue and found bait birds and dolphins. Wind came up. One way tacs. 3 dolphins took and spooled 3 Rod’s back to back. No tuna. Gonna try again soon. A450862D-F606-44C4-9F3A-3D40A2AC5492.png

C5F1B474-531F-470F-93AF-C34D21D956C7.jpeg

Well gang, we had a good day today.

4 of the Coho were between 15.5 and 13 pounds. They put up a hell of a fight.

Tomorrow morning is my last fish and then it’s home after 83 days in Nootka. You know it’s time to leave when the rain is here for the next week.

Codfather

Up at Esperanza for the last trip of the season. Out to the Tail one day. Lots of good sized Yoyos, mostly wild though. Did get a few hatchery and a couple of feeder Springs. Good first light bite in the sound the next day. No Tuna trips this season...

Back