Processing fish on boat question...

AndrewH

Can I gut and take head off as long as I keep tail on provided the processed fish is over the size restriction?

I am wanting to make some sox sashimi and want to process and get on ice out on the water.

I bleed the fish by removing the gills while the heart is still pumping, put on ice and remove the head when I get home.

Can I gut and take head off as long as I keep tail on provided the processed fish is over the size restriction?

I am wanting to make some sox sashimi and want to process and get on ice out on the water.
I got some dry ice from praxair. Have one in a cooler right now.

I don't think dfo would like that at the dock, on the water, or if stopped at a road check. They need to be able to confidently I'd the fish and size. I wouldn't remove the heads.

Last time I was checked at the ramp I asked the COs this question. The answer was yes, as long as the tail and fillets are intact and length is over the minimin.

You can do almost anything you want as long as the fish is easily identifiable, what you have left is over any minimum size requirements and ALSO in the case of halibut it can be proven the fish wasn't over the maximum size--ie. pectoral fin and tail is still attached to one fillet.

You can do almost anything you want as long as the fish is easily identifiable, what you have left is over any minimum size requirements and ALSO in the case of halibut it can be proven the fish wasn't over the maximum size--ie. pectoral fin and tail is still attached to one fillet.
Im aware of the regulations part of the scenario, more wondering about the sashimi part.....

Last time I was checked at the ramp I asked the COs this question. The answer was yes, as long as the tail and fillets are intact and length is over the minimin.

I butterfly filleted a spring in Sooke and the CO the checked me at the cleaning table said that he was fine with it. He could identify the chinook by the tail, could see that it was a wild from the adipose, and that it was clearly under 85cm in size. He did mention that if the fish had been closer to the max slot limit size, he would have liked to see it with the head on, but that it was small enough that he wasn't bothered.

Ive been curious about this also. Get them on ice right away and your good to go??
You risk getting parasites from eating fish that has not previously been frozen. Last year at Alberni, I gutted a sockeye on the boat and there were some worms in the offal. Personally, it isn't worth the risk to me. All sushi and sashimi fish I use have been frozen prior to consuming raw. Just my opinion.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...alaskan-caught-salmon/?utm_term=.97e9d7291f71

You risk getting parasites from eating fish that has not previously been frozen. Last year at Alberni, I gutted a sockeye on the boat and there were some worms in the offal. Personally, it isn't worth the risk to me. All sushi and sashimi fish I use have been frozen prior to consuming raw. Just my opinion.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...alaskan-caught-salmon/?utm_term=.97e9d7291f71
I just froze a whole Sockeye for 24 hours with ten pounds of dry ice in a cooler. You just have to ask them to cut it into two separate slabs, cover the fish with a dish cloth or paper to protect it from burning and then place the dry ice on top. Putting it underneath will only keep the fish cold and not freeze it right through. From what I've read doing it this way and keeping the fish Frozen for 24 hours is suitable. I think 15 hours is actually what they recommend but I gave it extra to make sure the fish was frozen right through before the 15 hours started.

The other way is -4 minimum for 7 days but apparently most home freezers won't reach that consistantly. I got all this info on this forum somewhere.

Last edited:
Back