Had a hot bite for sockeye at first light today in the fog. Just out front of Sooke Harbour in 150'-250' of water. Had 4 in the boat in about 15 minutes. Lost 3 by the boat and then it was one and there. My depths were 40-50' early and then moved deeper as the day went on. Until the whales showed up....they got to eat also, sure was allot of whaler watching boats, just about got run over by them.... Still a nice day on the water.

Beautiful day on the water braved the weekend crowds to partake in the 1st burkmar auto fishing derby fished trap to possession with little action just the odd sockeye still a great day

Skipped the morning today as I was out late watching a buddy play down at Bart's last night. Hit the water at 11:30 and arrived on the spot to hear the whales just pasted through an hour before. Not the best report to get. After getting the gear in I saw a sooke local hook up and release a decent fish so there was still hope. We hit 4 springs and landed 2 that went 18 and 12 pounds...not bad for a short 4 hour trip after a J Pod did their thing in the area. In tight to shore and shallow was the ticket today.

Out at Beechy and Trap yesterday, 0-6 lost two nice ones in the trap. It was a long day with not a lot of action in between. Morning was the best till 10am .

Last edited:
Fished out deep today off Secretary till noon. Our bites were scattered. Landed 2 feeder springs up to 10lbs and one Sockeye. Lost another Sockeye at the boat. Fished from 30-70ft. With Sockeye gear.
Beautiful out and flat.

Lost a mid 20# at the side of the boat at beechy.
My 9 year old son gave me sh*t for not getting the net on it after I missed with the gaff !

If anyone catches it can I have my teaser head back.

Son got a 11# Chinook , released a 8# coho, and 10 shakers

Everything on bait

68’ was the ticket

Slow today off the Head. 2 sockeye hit in 5 hours and a bunch of the 6 inch shakers you don't know are on the gear. Slowest day all week.

Long slow day
Trolled from trap to secretary is got into a spring early in the day lost by the boat side when netting.

No other hits until noon got 2 socks trolling at 250-300’ contour towards Beechey.

Made a few passes between Beechey and trap at 4:00 got into another spring and this time it came home with us. It’s was a #15.5 red spring.

Fished with Pachito today 6:30am until 1:30pm. Readers of this thread will know Pachito has been very successful with the sockeye to date with several prolific posts. Ironically, fishing with Englishman he experienced exactly the same thing as every other time I have been out for sockeye. Two hits, early on, one fish in the boat and then nothing. That makes four out of five successive trips for sockeye with only one in the boat. The other was zero. How weird is that?

So giving up on that we went in to the Bluffs and then trolled anchovy and herring all the way to Otter Point, did one pass through the zoo off the point, and then trolled all the way back to the Bluffs. We stayed in water 100’-75 all the time, except off Otter point, and had zero hits except for shakers.

So normal service has been restored to Englishman . LOL :)

Seriously though, last Friday proves remarkable things can happen and if they happened every time they would not be remarkable. So hope springs eternal, and on the next trip, or 100 trips from now, something remarkable will happen again.;)

We had a couple of nice fish today at 23 and 21 pounds. Down deeper and off the beach a bit compared to the last few days. Lost 2 more. The smoke was so bad you could taste it!! Nice to have the calm water but it would be nice if a stiff late night westerly would kick up and blow it outta here.

Are you sure it wasn't Englishman???? He's always shirtless in his photos.... ;)
I am just a poor immigrant from the mean, grey, industrial streets of London U.K. I can't afford shirts, 'cos I spent all my meager resources on fishing gear!!! LOL;)

Now that is funny!

Probably did a topless dance after landing his big fish.

Tips, I last danced to the sounds of the seventies in U.K. discos so much too old to dance now, shirtless or otherwise! :)

Last edited:
I am just a poor immigrant from the mean, grey, industrial streets of London U.K. I can't afford shirts, 'cos I spent it all on fishing gear!!! LOL;)
At least you saved yourself some money by not having to buy store bought salmon!

Fished with Pachito today 6:30am until 1:30pm. Readers of this thread will know Pachito has been very successful with the sockeye to date with several prolific posts. Ironically, fishing with Englishman he experienced exactly the same thing as every other time I have been out for sockeye. Two hits, early on, one fish in the boat and then nothing. That makes four out of five successive trips for sockeye with only one in the boat. The other was zero. How weird is that?

So giving up on that we went in to the Bluffs and then trolled anchovy and herring all the way to Otter Point, did one pass through the zoo off the point, and then trolled all the way back to the Bluffs. We stayed in water 100’-75 all the time, except off Otter point, and had zero hits except for shakers.

So normal service has been restored to Englishman . LOL :)

Seriously though, last Friday proves remarkable things can happen and if they happened every time they would not be remarkable. So hope springs eternal, and on the next trip, or 100 trips from now, something remarkable will happen again.;)
If it's any consolation to you, my brother is fishing over there on a regular basis and is having very little luck with the sockeye. Although he has managed a few while fishing Chinook.

Was fishing Otterpoint yesterday from 5pm to 8pm. Nice flat water. And kelp wasn't too bad either. There was a humongous bait fish ball right at Otterpoint. Seemed this little bait fish were everywhere from surface down to 100 ft at times in a fairly big area. In the first hour I got 4 fish on but I lost them all. One was a pin popper only, 2 long line releases and another one right next to the boat (was about 8 lbs). Then it got slower. Eventually I got another one hooked that I could land (14 lbs). Most activity I got at 75' on the downrigger.

Was out for a few hours yesterday in a friends new to him boat. Only had one good strike and the fish was fought masterfully by my wife but netted poorly by me! Looked to be a high teens/low 20's fish which, at the critical time of netting decided he had enough of the hook in his mouth, dropped it in the net while he was about two thirds of the way in, then watched me try to get the rest of him enveloped in the bag. Alas, the net we had on board did not have an extendable handle and we all watched the fish slowly slide back into the water as I tried to coax it into the bag and then, even more slowly return to the depths, none the worse for wear. Good thing my wife enjoys fighting a Salmon as much as eating it! Needless to say, a different net is on our friends list of things to change on his boat. No pics of the fish, but a couple shots of the smoky haze hanging over the fishing grounds.

OT.jpg

OT1.jpg

Last edited:
Back