Salmon Rod, best light power rod

Ten Ten is my favorite, I also like RCR and G. Loomis and Technium. Okuma has done a nice job on a few of their actions this year as well. There are numerous rods that will fit the bill in every price range.
Buy what you like and enjoy your time on the water. :)

Exactly. We are really in the golden age of fishing gear technology (reels, rods, downriggers, navionics, motors - the list goes on.) And so, there is plenty of gear selection to suit every persons need and or budget. Aside from the real cheap stuff / garbage, one can't really go wrong with what is on the market as compared to what was
available, 10 -20 -30 years ago.

Ten Ten is my favorite, I also like RCR and G. Loomis and Technium. Okuma has done a nice job on a few of their actions this year as well. There are numerous rods that will fit the bill in every price range.
Buy what you like and enjoy your time on the water. :)

I got my old man a Re-done hardy moocher 10'6 to replace his one he had as kid but got stolen years ago! love that rod very sleek and plays fish beautifully something that hardy does well and never seems to miss on is quality!

I'm a sage guy as far as gear goes, have always been a fan. I have built a lot of brown blanks for myself and others. The just seem to stand up well and kill big fish.

So to set the record straight the 3016 titan is not the same blank as a 3106 sage...

while the action of the 3106 titan is similar it is not quite the same and a little heavier in hand. All this being said the 3106 titan is a nice rod for the $$$.

Sage blanks are rolled in Washington state which is pretty nice. They are not made in Asia...

I have had my 2 sage 3106 factory rods since 2004......14 years. I bought them back when I was a broke butt fishing guide, it was an investment but I think it has paid off. So 14 years later one of my factory sage mooching rods reel seat starts spinning. I call up sage and for 75.00 USD they built me a BRAND NEW 3106 rod.

I don't buy expensive stuff to just say that I have the latest and greatest, I am careful in my choices and weigh performance and durability. The 3106's I have have killed a lot of fish plus stood the test of time. Just last weekend my girlfriend turned one into a pretzel around the downrigger and it survived........and this has happened a few other times with other people.

between my dad brother and I we have like 10 of the things......most 10-12 years old and still going strong.

Anyways at the end of the day buy what you can afford. but take note that a factory or custom sage rod will have better cork, guides and reel seats than most production rods.....

Last edited:
I bought 4 rods 25 years ago. They were Berkley Rough Neck 9 footers, downrigger rods. These rods are incredible. Still have them today. I finally just broke one on the weekend. So I pulled out the 4th never used one. For $69.99 in those days. This rod has been a dream. Can't get them anymore. The replacement lighting rod was brutal. Thinking they would break. I have bought over the years 6 convergence rods 2 brown and 4 black 10'6". Yet to be used still brand new. Although my buddy scoped my brown ones and hes still using those and owes me lol, paid $59.99 for the convergence brown and $69.99 for the black ones. Great rods again for cheap. I also have a HMX Fenwick 1060 awesome rod they don't make anymore $139.99, 10'6"and a new rod Okuma Outfitters special 10"6" $169.99 great rod. Tough to find anything under a $100 these days. Will use my Rough necks until they all break. Could be another 25 years. Pretty Boy Floyd you still owe me money lol.

I too love my Sage rods, my go to for the chuck is my 4120 brown. Though not classified as a light salmon rod, this has given me confidence to bar fish a 16oz weight on a single action Shimano GT4000 and land a 42 out of Ukee
This weekend I tested my Sage 3113 MB and let me tell ya, she passed with flying colors. Easily strong enough to release a DR clip pass the black mark and skate some socks to the boat, love the action
Just need to see'll do how the 3113 will do on a contender spring with no flasher
Wanted to try my 3113 LB but the reel seat cannot accommodate an MR3

I run the usual 10'6" rods for springs, last year I bought soft-med action 11'7" imx7 rods (sale@35 ea) They added 5-10lbs on every Coho. Was out on the highway last year and every fish caught on those rods, was estimated way over the netted size. It was funny.... 22lbs, might have been 12lb coho. If you can find some cheap rods it can be lots of fun of the local waters.

I bought 4 rods 25 years ago. They were Berkley Rough Neck 9 footers, downrigger rods. These rods are incredible. Still have them today. I finally just broke one on the weekend. So I pulled out the 4th never used one. For $69.99 in those days. This rod has been a dream. Can't get them anymore. The replacement lighting rod was brutal. Thinking they would break. I have bought over the years 6 convergence rods 2 brown and 4 black 10'6". Yet to be used still brand new. Although my buddy scoped my brown ones and hes still using those and owes me lol, paid $59.99 for the convergence brown and $69.99 for the black ones. Great rods again for cheap. I also have a HMX Fenwick 1060 awesome rod they don't make anymore $139.99, 10'6"and a new rod Okuma Outfitters special 10"6" $169.99 great rod. Tough to find anything under a $100 these days. Will use my Rough necks until they all break. Could be another 25 years. Pretty Boy Floyd you still owe me money lol.
I also own one of those Berkley Rough Neck 9 fters.Cant tell you how many big springs that rod has caught.I believe I bought it in the late 80's so 30 years and still going.Love the parabolic action on them as well.Just recently semi retired it as I have two
Temple Fork Outfitters DR9's now on the boat which are great downrigger rods in their own right.

I'm with cby, I bought 4 shimano TDR 8' 6" medium heavy action rods over 25 years ago for $100 at Trotac, 1 is 4" shorter due to an oops and all have new eyes but still use today. Must say I use penn reels so somewhat different than most BC salmon fishermen, use same rods/reels all over world for many different species. These work for me. Fished in my buddies boat with his 10'6" expensive rods, much different feeling, "flimsy waving far away" and him worrying about the tips when non experienced pers ram flasher to bead and rod tip. Each to his own style.

HM

The Sage factory is just a few blocks from my house so I have to support my neighborhood rod maker.

I've fished the 3106 for about 5 or 6 years now and last year I concluded that although it's a great rod, it's not the best tool for C&R. I got into some hot production fishing last August and felt like I was turning loose overly beat up springs

So this past winter I built a 4 power 9 foot Sage for an anticipated North Coast expedition. That rod is a beast compared to the 3106 for a C&R application.

The only problem: the springs were still so full of **** and vinegar when I turned them loose that they soaked me with their tails once they realized they were free to go

9.5 ft Trophy's is all I use year round...super light with lots of backbone when needed.

I am also looking for new rods stopped into Island Outfitters yesterday and was told that they are redesigning the Techniums they didn’t mention the convergence ,they expect the new techniums by possibly labour day weekend so I will wait.

Back