Trailor axle and hub assembly in Vancouver

Burban

Hey all,

I've been having premature bearing wear and some damage from the first bearing explosion 2 years ago while towing is likely the culprit. I went to repack them less then a year ago, they didn't look good so I replaced them again. Now, one side blew out on me again this weekend (same side) after only a dozen tows or so. I think I need a whole new assembly to get the proper life out of my bearings and have some peace of mind.

Anyone have a favored shop in Vancouver to purchase a new axle and hub assembly for a reasonable price?

Road Runner on Mitchell Island built me a new axle with 2 new hubs. I brought the old one in so they had something to go by.
My trailer is a road runner. Don't know if they do others.

While I'm switching it out anyway, is it worth it to size up to 3500lb from 2000lb axles? Would the heavier duty assembly last longer? The price difference doesn't seem to be that much.

I have a 16.5 aluminum Crestliner, it only weighs 1050 + my 90hp 2 stroke and gear. In a couple years I'm planning on upgrading to a new 4 stroke.

If you decide to go the new 3500lb axle route , ask them to install the brackets for brakes, even if you never use them (you never know). The best way is to take your old axle in as tubber says. I installed one complete with hubs and stainless speedi sleeves for about 500$+/- including new springs and hardware. Probably a bit more now. If I remember correctly, axle c/w hubs-350$, springs 100$ and hardware 50$

2000 does seem light.
Damage may be the culprit but if the bearings are seating tight and straight, maybe incorrect nut torque is the issue ?
Also bearing buddies are your friend when backing a trailer with hot hubs into the cold water

There is a trailer place on Douglas Rd in Burnaby (sorry can't recall the name). Or, try Princess Auto for pieces and/or a whole axle assembly. Lots to choose from there if you a re a DIYer. gl

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It'll take a few weeks or a month to shuffle the budget and buy the parts but I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Roadrunner uses cheap "offshore" parts. I had to swap out bearings and races a year into owning one of mikes trailers. You can buy good quality made on this continent replacements. ie timkin bearings

My trailer is a Karavan. and its only 6 years old. The bearing kits from NAPA seem slightly cheesy... the rubber gasket on the rear seal doesn't instill a ton of confidence in me.

Roadrunner uses cheap "offshore" parts. I had to swap out bearings and races a year into owning one of mikes trailers. You can buy good quality made on this continent replacements. ie timkin bearings

Have you purchased Timkin products locally or just online? I wouldn't mind having a look at some better components.

Good luck finding Timkin bearings made in USA unless it's NOS. Koyo and SKF are good options as well

SKF are the brand NAPA puts their name on. I don't have a problem with bearings or races, my only minor concern is the rubber seal on the inner seal, it has a tiny rubber seal on it that in my mind seems more appropriate for a utility trailer as opposed to a boat trailer that gets dunked in saltwater twice per use.

15rkzva.jpg

3346D02B-63CD-4EEA-93A0-5AB039F0B933.jpeg That doesn’t look like a double lip seal which is what should be used and a speedy sleeve to go with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply @casper5280 . I haven't heard of SKF's speedi-sleeve, but I see on their site what it is and what it does. Ill definitely be adding some to my order, as well as the proper double lip seal.

Back