2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Oak Bay seems to be a little more productive than it has been. 3 in the boat between 7:00 and 9:00 this morning. Largest was only 12lbs though. All on the bottom with the Herring Aid skinny G. Oak Bay Marina has a bunch of the Herring Aid spoons in stock right now too.

Got out for a few hours tonight and kept the streak going. Went out further on the flats past Brodie rock. Fished the contour and hooked up a screamer in 160 ft. Eventually got it up beside the boat and it spat the hook back me. Looked to be 20lbs at least. I had just stopped yelling expletives about 20 mins later and hooked into another one. Ended up being a feisty 14 lber and nailed the solo net. Both fish were on white coho killer, 170 on the rigger in 160ft of water.

hit the flats at 6 this morning, no bites, headed out to 150 feet of water out from brodie, no love.
moved to constance at 10 and got a 13 and 16 on the flashfly and bait.

Dropped the pick today at 10am. Managed to hook the laziest 33lb hali I've ever seen and got my buddy his biggest hali. I expected a 5lb dog until it showed up at the the boat.
33 hali.jpg

On the flats today 1 9lb white, released 3 smaller fish 3-5lbers, 2 long line releases and had 7 other good strikes on and gone. Beauty day.

Headed out to Constance this AM to try my luck at Halibut. One side was salmon head with the trusty circle hook with a 9" plastic squid, the other side was a large herring with a plastic squid. Pretty much as soon as I'd get the line set up on the bottom, the herring side, I would hook me up a dog fish. After the 4th dog, I changed it up to a piece of octopus, I think the dogs like this even more. So after 2 more dogs, I changed and went to both sides with a salmon head on a circle hook. Great day on the water, no wind, and at the point when my Halibut hit today, the Scotsman was just sitting in the water with slack rope on the anchor line. Brought the Halibut up, it was going to be close, 114cm!

I'd gone through all of my salmon heads today, but luckily there was a group cleaning 5 salmon at the cleaning table in Esquilmalt, so now I'm stocked up again.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 90
Tried the flats this morning from 7-9. One hit. A few boats around. Water was nice and calm.

My son got bored so we headed for the kelp beds for some rock fish when some kind of whale surfaced about 100 yards out. Surfaced a few times on the way out to Trial island. Very cool! May have been a grey whale but honestly I have no idea other than it was not an orca. Curious if anyone else saw it?

Cheers

Tried the flats this morning from 7-9. One hit. A few boats around. Water was nice and calm.

My son got bored so we headed for the kelp beds for some rock fish when some kind of whale surfaced about 100 yards out. Surfaced a few times on the way out to Trial island. Very cool! May have been a grey whale but honestly I have no idea other than it was not an orca. Curious if anyone else saw it?

Cheers

I was out there and saw it when it was over by discovery! Not sure what it was either. Was pretty big though

Out last night on the flats one bite didnt stick. There was a zodiac jigging and i saw his boy catch one that was awesome to see. A couple boats not much but some action.

I FINALLY get a day off to go fishing and rush out to VH buoy bright and early to get sockeye but....... nada. Did I miss it??? If anyone is having consistent luck with sockeye off Victoria waterfront can you throw me a bone. I Did get one chunky spring at constance.

I FINALLY get a day off to go fishing and rush out to VH buoy bright and early to get sockeye but....... nada. Did I miss it??? If anyone is having consistent luck with sockeye off Victoria waterfront can you throw me a bone. I Did get one chunky spring at constance.
Hey, I love your avatar, it takes a lab with a bit of a noggin to wear a hat, and I must say yours looks good in a hat. I'v had 3 labs and only 1 would sit there and pose with a hat on with duck and goose calls around his neck with the days bag laid out in front of him.

At the Victoria buoy yesterday from 7 to 10. Double header at 8:30 was the only action for me. Smaller this time at 4.5 and 5lbs. Saw one other caught at 9:15. 90 and 70 on the rigger.

Fished Macaulay to the green can from 6-10:30 today. Not even a hit and saw very few boats out. The whole area is plastered with commercial crab pots which is going to cause problems in Sunday's derby.

there is a new crabber around I think as Oak Bay is covered with new to the area floats. they have 2 green plastic floats and a white one I believe.

Fished Macaulay to the green can from 6-10:30 today. Not even a hit and saw very few boats out. The whole area is plastered with commercial crab pots which is going to cause problems in Sunday's derby.
I’m surprised more people aren’t complaining about those crab pots. There’s a lot of them.

Back