2018 Winter Harbour Reports

Great work! Hate seeing these losers net fish and bring them on board to measure? Then release unharmed?
No...that’s a dead fish! Run a marathon....then put your head underwater after for however time you are on the boat out of water.
Great work fish camp, wish the rest of the multimedia hero’s would follow your lead!!

If you search on amazon (fish release) you'll find a stainless steel one that is very easy to duplicate. Since you use a downrigger to send the fish back down. You'll know how deep you are when you pull the release back up. Works very well. A fish release is Manditory in US waters now for any bladder fish.[/QUO

Back from fishing Quatsino Aug 11 to 15. Group of seven novices, so we stayed inside to avoid chumming! Found it unusually crowded at Cliffe Point in the mornings - one of my friends counted 55 boats from the light to Harvey Cove … a bumper boat gong show. We did get our limit of nice size coho ranging from 8 to 12 lbs, with most being around 9 or 10 lbs. Lost a big spring at the light that took out nearly 250 yards of line before breaking our leader ( or maybe it was a hungry seal that got a hold of our fish ) - we never did see it. We caught almost all of our coho at the light, and along the east wall towards the fish farm and also slightly west of the light in deeper water. All were caught with riggers at 50 foot depth or shallower on coho killers, skinny g or 3.5 kingfisher spoons, behind green or red glow flashers - but we had to work through the gear as what worked one day would not produce the next day. Not sure if all of that boat traffic affected the fish? Springs did not cooperate for us, bagging only 3 keepers, biggest at 18 lbs. Lots of shakers released, and lots of jelly fish hitting the gear. Did not try any anchovies or herring due to all of those shakers around. Hope to get out there one more time in September to see how big those coho can get.

Back from fishing Quatsino Aug 11 to 15. Group of seven novices, so we stayed inside to avoid chumming! Found it unusually crowded at Cliffe Point in the mornings - one of my friends counted 55 boats from the light to Harvey Cove … a bumper boat gong show. We did get our limit of nice size coho ranging from 8 to 12 lbs, with most being around 9 or 10 lbs. Lost a big spring at the light that took out nearly 250 yards of line before breaking our leader ( or maybe it was a hungry seal that got a hold of our fish ) - we never did see it. We caught almost all of our coho at the light, and along the east wall towards the fish farm and also slightly west of the light in deeper water. All were caught with riggers at 50 foot depth or shallower on coho killers, skinny g or 3.5 kingfisher spoons, behind green or red glow flashers - but we had to work through the gear as what worked one day would not produce the next day. Not sure if all of that boat traffic affected the fish? Springs did not cooperate for us, bagging only 3 keepers, biggest at 18 lbs. Lots of shakers released, and lots of jelly fish hitting the gear. Did not try any anchovies or herring due to all of those shakers around. Hope to get out there one more time in September to see how big those coho can get.
Might need to change your handle to " Coho Slayer" !! lol...

Might need to change your handle to " Coho Slayer" !! lol...
Yeah … fishing is a humbling experience and choice of handle was prior to having much experience in this area … too much arrogance on my part … still, we are managing one tyee per season, so something to look forward to!

Fished out there from 24th to 26th. I'm in a small 16ft aluminum Lund type and so was limited in where I could venture. Picked up coho on first day, second day three hook ups but nothing in the boat, third day was slow, wet and cold out there. Really enjoyed the area and I will be back but..."I'm gonna need a bigger boat". Just something a little sturdier to take on more fishing area. Loved the vibe at Winter Harbour Marina.
Other guys seemed to be doing very well out at Cliffe pt.

Heading up to fish Sept 1 through to Sept 5. Hoping to luck into some late season chinook, in addition to the coho that I hear are still around. I'll report on our trip once I get back home.

Heading up to fish Sept 1 through to Sept 5. Hoping to luck into some late season chinook, in addition to the coho that I hear are still around. I'll report on our trip once I get back home.
See you out there TyeeSlayer! We arrive tomorrow, and will fish till the 7th.

Has anyone been fishing Quatsino Sound/ Winter Harbour lately? I'm heading up to fish Quatsino and Mahatta River for coho next weekend for four days

We were just there, left home on Friday. Cliff is spotty, but we caught our springs, and coho. They seem to be moving with the rain. Hopefully you get into them! Good luck.

Were there on the long weekend, lots of surfacers in front of Mahatta and Coprino Rivers. Trolling at 15 to 25 ft with black and white coho killers as well as a 2 and a half ounce mac deep on the surface about 75 feet back. Ferocious hits

Just back from Quatsino as well … fished the long weekend through to Wednesday Sept 5 … Koprino & Koskimo Bays worked for us, for decent sized and aggressive coho. … we also found some 2 year old chinook on the highway, 10 to 12 lbs and one 24 lb fish, but you have to set your gear deep ( 150 feet ) and work through some sporty coho - fun to play & release. Once you find the chinook, they tend to be in that area for the day. Used Coho killers, Kingfisher and Skinny G spoons in cop car colours. One more trip still to look forward to at the end of September. Hope there are some stragglers left for us.

Back