Landing net woes

ziggy

Just got a new Scotty Landing Net with a 6’ handle. The diameter is too large for my fixed rocket launchers so I am keeping it on deck. I do collapse the handle for storage in the cuddly, but when soloing I like to have the net extended and ready to go. This is a problem given the overall size. I probably should have got a 4’ but I am curious if anyone has solved the storage problem, or even cut back the handle a bit. Also I got a net minder and have found it anything but user friendly when collapsing or extending the net.

On my old boat i had a piece of tubing attached horizontally with gear clamps to the bow rail, and that’s where the net lived. new boat i don’t have a good home for it yet. DE so i keep it tucked between the sleeper seat and the gunnel but it’s in the way big time

For a similar net I installed a drop-in holder at the coaming, well forward of the rigger. It's positioned clear of the fishing deck yet still handy when needed.

I find the Scotty net to heavy so I buy the aluminum handle nets...just a lot easier to use especially if you are on your own. They are only good for a couple years but they aren't that expensive to replace.

I bought a Gibbs catch ‘n release net with a 72” handle which is good for releasing wild fish or undersized chinooks. However, I find it too big for my 19’ boat. I’ve filled the handle with foam spray and put the extended net in a rail mounted scotty rod holder on the port side. Not ideal, but makes the landing process a bit easier.

I left mine in my net holder by accident after loading the boat on the trailer. Hit an oak tree and bent the handle 90 degrees at about a foot from the bottom, cut off the bent bit for a 5 foot handle and that makes it about the perfect length. 6 feet is just a bit long and 4 feet just a bit short.

http://www.frabill.com/nets-accesso...-tangle-free-weighted-nylon-fish-net-277.htmlI just recently bought a Frabill Pro-Formance Pacific Northwest landing net with a 6 ft. handle.It's got a anodized aluminum handle that fits in the regular Scotty holders even with the padded but cap.Haven't tried it yet but I figure if I don't like the length I
can always pull the butt cap off and cut off a foot or so.I sometimes found the 4 ft handles a bit of a reach when netting by myself.Got it on sale at Harbour Chandler for $110.00.Can't wait to hopefully slide a nice spring into it next week when we head down for another trip.

I find the Scotty net to heavy so I buy the aluminum handle nets...just a lot easier to use especially if you are on your own. They are only good for a couple years but they aren't that expensive to replace.
Judging by your posts you use your landing net a lot more than I do , so I can see why you would opt for lighter. Lol

I lost the net portion of my Gibbs catch and release net today, the pin that is supposed to pop up and hold the net in place got stuck down, and as soon as the net hit the water it was off the handle, and I was left holding the handle...LOL.
Sorry, don’t mean to derail the thread, but any good locally made spring salmon size catch and release nets available? I’m truly sick and tired of the Asian garbage

I lost the net portion of my Gibbs catch and release net today, the pin that is supposed to pop up and hold the net in place got stuck down, and as soon as the net hit the water it was off the handle, and I was left holding the handle...LOL.
Sorry, don’t mean to derail the thread, but any good locally made spring salmon size catch and release nets available? I’m truly sick and tired of the Asian garbage
I had the same thing happen to me once. I drilled a new hole for the snap clip a few inches down the handle. Then I drilled the original hole all the way through the handle and put a 1/4 bolt all the way through. that way if the clip doesn't hold it I won't loose the basket. I would post a picture but the net is in my boat at the repair shop.
I also filled it with spray foam at the same time

IMHO the nicest net that I’ve ever seen are the new Beckman Salmon nets with the blue anodized aluminum frame. 6’ handle. They are far lighter than my Scotty and the Gibbs and the quality is very high. I just need to sell my net first but 100% will be upgrading. Anyone looking for a 1 season old Scotty?

IMHO the nicest net that I’ve ever seen are the new Beckman Salmon nets with the blue anodized aluminum frame. 6’ handle. They are far lighter than my Scotty and the Gibbs and the quality is very high. I just need to sell my net first but 100% will be upgrading. Anyone looking for a 1 season old Scotty?
Very nice looking nets indeed, thx for that. Any idea where I can get them locally (Vancouver)?

I really like the Frabill catch and release with a telescoping handle . Rubber basket.

Back