Too much TIME not enough MONEY OR too much MONEY not enough TIME?

Too much TIME not enough MONEY OR too much MONEY not enough TIME?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Keep the comments and stories coming. We come from all walks of life and have different stories to tell. I’ve loved living in Vancouver all my life until recently, traffic, cost of living, and the Ambleside boat launch closure are the 3 biggest issues. Definitely first world problems as I’ve travelled to many countries and we have it pretty good here comparatively.
Owning a boat and having a father to help with costs would be amazing. There aren’t many people in life you can get into a life long working arrangement like that. Money and friends/family usually don’t mix.
Due to the recent boost in real estate prices as a younger guy wanting to own a home it has become overwhelmingly unaffordable. I can buy a box on the 6th floor in a Surrey condo or get outta dodge. Recently I had a discussion with a developer buddy. He told me if I want to own a detached home it’s easier for me than it was for him 20 years ago, I highly doubt that. The wife and i would need to work 3 jobs to save up for a 20% down payment, then maintain those 3 jobs to keep paying the mortgage. Bye bye life, no more time OR money to fish.
Someone asked me once “What makes you happy? I said fishing. They said well then “go fish”. Ok!

Just trying to plan ahead for balance of time and money to afford to stay happy. On Monday I’m signing mortgage papers and heading to the island. Any of you on the island who have a job that offers a great balance of time and money hit me up... or fishing buddies.

I'm now retired but I always seem to have been able to budget the time and money needed to go fishing. I guess it's a matter of priorities because I haven't been to Europe or Thailand yet. I see lots of boats in driveways and at marinas that rarely get out. My very busy neighbor bought a really nice boat that has been out twice in 2 years. I'm guessing the owner may be too busy working to fish. One issue seems to be that some folks are over-boated. Really nice boats that sit while the owner pays all the bills.

I solved that problem by selling my bigger boat and I am now sharing a smaller one with my son-in-law. We often fish together and I take care of the maintenance that he has no time for. It has turned out to be a happy arrangement. The other advantage of the smaller boat (17 foot) is that I can manage it by myself when I have tides and weather cooperating and no one else is available. Less is more in my experience.

Donated 35 years to my career (military), completed many deployments, seen 30+ countries and done stuff dreams are made of both in service and on leave, regrettably many times put duty ahead of every thing including family. Completed many bucket list item before it was called "bucket list". Invested wisely, built and kept toys many for years, when something works keep it, try to elude the footitis disease. Now retired with varied income streams and not working. So to answer the question of post is very hard; While working made time to fish, but also sacrificed, family and fishing time for work. There was never enough time to fish but money was not an issue. Now tons of time to fish BC and still have the money to fish but now I want more again, sails, marlin, roosters, grouper and tuna. I may have to get another job to pay for my bucket list items. Return to Zimbabwe, Costa Rica, Malaysia, still need to drive to Arctic Ocean. I still have lots on my check list to do before I exit. Two things I do know, I am spoiled (dam good life) and life is too short. Do things while you can, nothing is out of reach with the will to do.

HM

I need more time. I’ve worked hard and made some smart moves with property and am fortunate enough have a very nice house with a good amount of equity in it. I’m 36 and could sell and have a modest house with no mortgage. But I love the spot I’m in and now have started a family of my own.

With having a young child, and being a hard worker (own a business), I confess I feel guilty leaving my wife and baby to go fishing for 6-7 hours on a weekend. Really the only way I can get out at all these days is hit the water before sunup and be home by 10:00am or earlier. Luckily, I can feed my habit by buying and organizing tackle, and of course, this website!

I find I have more time in the winter with work slowing down a bit and I get out more often then, but damn it’s sucks having a 2 week no fishing streak in the best month of the year for fishing! That’s where I’m at.

I’m gonna chime in, I’m 33 and to tell you the honest truth there is never enough time or money for fishing!

I’m on the forever 99 plan retirement (Living in the BROKANAGAN), nowadays it’s a long hard slog to the end, but you have to make time for anything in life! My wife and I work modest jobs (Im a red seal mechanic by trade) but even without owning a home right now and renting its hard to come by the cash to allow for that extra bit of free fishing time, but my wife and I try to set aside a little here and there to allow for some free time! when you have a life with a wife and kids etc fishing sometimes falls by the wayside, just like Stizzla stated.

I have my 17.5' boat with 2 older 2 stroke outboards and elec riggers and such im just lucky like most of the other guys here that run older smaller boats its not a burden to fill with fuel or do maintenance! When I do get out fishing (once and a while) I enjoy every last minute of it and sometimes even stay out longer if I can sneak it past the wife (Better to ask for forgiveness then permission right boys?? lol)

I'm 32 and am pretty proud of the choices and steps made to get into such a position. From high school directly into university, then directly into a well paying career (Project Manager). AND, to top it all off, to fall in love with someone who also has fishing passion (and a dad who's a mechanic lol). In fact, she helped convince me to by my second boat last night so I'm feeling good, right about now.

However, our house is an older place and needs some maintenance so I can't get out on the water as much as I'd like. But maybe I can use this new (to me - 1974 Glasply - pics pending) boat to convince everyone that we just need some more time on the water. And the backyard can stay a jungle :)

Edit: So what I'm hearing from everyone is we should schedule a communal "Sick Day" and just go fishing. It's like group therapy, but cheaper.

I am fortunate in that it is often my wife who tells me when we are going fishing. this time of the year it is usually 2 evenings a week and both days on the weekend. Our 14 ft Lund and 20 HP 4 stroke merc sips fuel so cost is not a big deal. with this being our beat season out of the last 4 she is really into fishing as she fights them and I net them.

Sometimes work and play can mix together to make for a good time. As I mentioned earlier in this post, I lay vinyl decking. As good fortune would have it, I have a small vinyl job to do on Sunday in Port McNeill. My boss has a cabin on Victoria Lake near Port Alice. After I am done the job I have, we are going to stay at my bosses cabin and then spend two days fishing at Winter Harbour. This is one of these times I love my job. Three hours of work and two days of fishing, then I come back home, and get ready to leave for Bamfield on Friday.

Not to derail but some pretty big fires in that area right now...

Okanagan? More like SMOKANAGAN! :D :D :D
Sorry man. We have a cabin on Christina Lake and it's brutal there too. Nothing out of control yet (fingers crossed).

The trend is disturbing for most new anglers.

As a guy who works full time, but makes what would be a decent living in the markets, I gotta say, anyone who has fear of missing out (FOMO) in the real estate market, just cool yer heels. If you have cheap rent, like many do, just keep stacking some cash (equal to mortgage repayments) and there will be a better time to step into the Van market.

I don’t see a crash coming, but the days of having to buy without even being able to have a builder inspect the property are done for the majority of listings.

What I suspect has happened in the last 2 years is what happens in nearly all sectors when they hit an interim top. It’s called a “blow off phase”.

Keep your powder dry and be patient and for the love of god, take some time to enjoy life here and there. The lower mainland is a great city to live in, but don’t enslave yourself to debt thinking there isn’t anywhere else equally as beautiful to live in.

Chances are, if you have stacked enough cash, we will have a better ability to live off interest in years to come.

Just my 2 cents.

IMHO, the issue is twofold:

We want good paying jobs close to where “we” like to live and for that we either look at different levels of the governments to make that happen or blame politicians for their incompetencies. On the other hand “we” are not willing to recognize that the dynamics of the global economy has changed in a way that “we” have given the key to the house to multi-national corporations and that the governments are just puppets in the hands of those corporations. “We” don’t like infrastructure projects in “our backyards” because general perception is that they are “harmful to our environment” and “we” make it almost impossible for foreign or local investors to bring their money to this province and create jobs. In the meantime, we want “affordability”, “growth” and “sustainability of resources”. until “we” as british columbians learn how to find our balance in this new global economy and get over our contradictory wants and wills, don’t expect fishing (or most hobbies for that matter) to become more affordable.

IMHO, the issue is twofold:

We want good paying jobs close to where “we” like to live and for that we either look at different levels of the governments to make that happen or blame politicians for their incompetencies. On the other hand “we” are not willing to recognize that the dynamics of the global economy has changed in a way that “we” have given the key to the house to multi-national corporations and that the governments are just puppets in the hands of those corporations. “We” don’t like infrastructure projects in “our backyards” because general perception is that they are “harmful to our environment” and “we” make it almost impossible for foreign or local investors to bring their money to this province and create jobs. In the meantime, we want “affordability”, “growth” and “sustainability of resources”. until “we” as british columbians learn how to find our balance in this new global economy and get over our contradictory wants and wills, don’t expect fishing (or most hobbies for that matter) to become more affordable.

Part of the problem is that Kids in the eighties onward were schooled in the so called Global Economy , they then accept as it being the norm ,the only way the economy works. Older generations recognised the value in "Value added", manufacturing jobs paid good wages which in turn paid for our social services and infrastructure. Union became a dirty word, yet they benefited from the system built on those principles.

Mega Corp Inc.. wants us to believe that they will go elsewhere.. they threaten, then whine and snivel when ordinary workers say we want to protect our jobs, and preserve our standard of living if not our way of life.

This in turn gives utter nutters like Trump a stepping stone to power,which in turn gives his lackies and buddies free reign.. Fear garners power .. We are making the same mistakes again,ones that were made in the early half of 1900's.

The Kool Aid was served and it was well received , we now are paying the price.. Jobs are exported , we rely on cheap imports from places with low standards of living and poor environmental oversight so who really benefits when we chase the lowest common denominator?Look at the countries that have the highest standards of living, social stability, they also have higher tax rates and protect their industries by producing for their own domestic markets..

times are hard now ? no doubt, but I seem to remember paying 15% on a mortgage for a Townhouse, friends losing theirs as payments quadrupled and wages went down.. go to the bank after a couple yrs to renew the assumed mortgage , only to find that we were in a negative equity situation..

Last edited:
I’m retired so work no longer gets in the way of fishing. My fishing partner and I own a boat together so all costs are split, making it very affordable. I live 15 minutes from the marina where we keep our boat for 8 months of the year so it’s nice to pick and choose when you want to go fishing. I usually save weekends for household and yard chores to avoid the crowds on the water except when working friends want to go out fishing. I just love being on the water whether it’s in the powerboat or in one of my kayaks. I remind myself fairly often how lucky we are to live where we do.
T2

Back