"Alone" T.V. Show....

Oh wow I wasn't paying close enough attention! Ok then how about some BC boys in the next one! :D
It was mentioned earlier, part of casting was to get people from the east side, not familiar with our climate, animals, food sources. More of a challenge...along the lines of throwing a BC boy in the everglades to battle it out with alligators and snakes - we'd be crying as well the first night..lol

It was mentioned earlier, part of casting was to get people from the east side, not familiar with our climate, animals, food sources. More of a challenge...along the lines of throwing a BC boy in the everglades to battle it out with alligators and snakes - we'd be crying as well the first night..lol
Lol ya no doubt! Ok then the BC boy only gets 250k if he wins for the advantage, and the others get 500k ;) I'd give it a go for a lot less than 500k! I bet a lot of us West Coast guys would lol. Easy to say from the couch though :p

As the proverbial armchair quarterback I kept thinking I could win the thing in my younger days. With that said flip it around and drop me in some southern swamp and I would probably tap out before the helicopter left!!

I also really enjoyed the series and somewhere in the first few episodes Alan was laying in his shelter and said "if you are going to spend much time out here, you had better like yourself". Right then I picked him as "the guy". Next year all the people will know 56 days is the benchmark.. I don't see guys/girls quitting as soon. Should be fun.

not one of them knew what to take or what to do. If they'd taken a 2 person hammock and gillnet, made out of 9-strand 750 Paracord, they could have woven 2500 sq ft of 4" mesh netting in a week. If you need 2" mesh, then fold it over and tie every other mesh. Local vegetation could be woven into the 4" mesh and convert it to 2" mesh. Deploy all that netting intelligently, and you'll have plenty of protein and calories. Juice the kelp and you'll have carbs, too. Given all the fishheads and guts to use as bait, you'll catch a fair amount of gulls, ducks, magpies, coons, possoms, in netting and sapling box traps, catch crabs in similar traps, and probably be able to arrow a baited-in bear from a tree blind.

Was a good end to a great show! I picked Alan and Lucas to make it the furthest, was surprised Lucas tapped out when he did, thought he had it in the bag. Sam did well too for a young guy but living off a mouse every few days wouldn't be too fun! Alan was deff one tuff dude, his reaction was pretty funny when they told him he won "over so soon?" lol. He was prepared to live there till the spring! Altho I cant imagine when the snow started falling there would be many days left for anyone. I don't really know how they could have made the ending more dramatic, I think it was pretty well done, maybe just have his wife come in and tell him? I donno. I also noticed the rods in the rod holders on the Grady, Wade did you take them out fishing after they tapped out? lol. How long of a cruise was it from your cottages to where the contestants were?

Sam did NOT "do well", man. He lost 80 lbs in 55 days. So he was a disaster in that situation.

Crazy show right? Was a big surprise to all of us involved when Lucas and Mitch dropped out. I had my money on Lucas, thought he had it in the bag. He had a house, boat, fishing gear, figured he would go the distance.

Really liking the mental part of the game. Not sure how I would be handling 40+ days solo eating mice, seaweed, bullheads not to mention being all by yourself.

The final show is going to be a great one.

Who's going to win?

Lucas never succeeded in finishing anything. He didn't have a clue about what he needed to be doing.

I wonder what everyone was eating until now. They didn't really show us anything until 2 weeks into show. Alan ate the slug and seaweed and now limpets. one guys found chanterlls but never showed him eating or cooking any and two had barred up chum other then that. I was getting a bit skeptical on them not taking any food in.

Cuttlefish I doubt they could afford to just sit there until a guy tapped out even if was the last guy for along time.

None of them lost less than 1/2 lb per day. That means that they were short at LEAST 1500 calories every day. They all just starved. true of all 4 seasons now, because they never learn to make and use netting. Never make a pontoon outrigger raft, never recon their area, to ensure that they were set up in the optimal spot. Clueless, every last of the 44 so far.

Reactions: abl
when you dont even know to start your first fire by firerolling a bit of your t shirt, keep the coals bedded, carry a hot coal or a torch if you're moving, GOTTA have a ferro rod, you've already lost. If you know to take the SO-versatile-useful duct tape, you can swiftly and easily make dry bags, in which to carry charred wood, force-dried bark, pine resin, ashes, tinder, kindling. With those aids, and some of the duct tape (shredded) you can easily enough start additional fires with any carbon steel tool and any sharp edged hunk of rock. So dont waste a pick on the ferrorod. You're going to have to preserve fish and you're going to need bags in which to keep the dried fish from moisture, animals and insects,

I was thinking the same thing. This show is teaching me new respect for the natives the old timers like Willie Hecht and Bernt Ronning. https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=NFwEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6364,3170727&hl=en

Anyway, Sam's my man. I think he has the right attitude - howling back at the wolves - and a good work ethic.- "Like a mosquito in a nudist colony. So much to do."
Holy, SAM WINS SEASON 5! Redemption. Sam's the man! I knew he could do it right from the start of Season 1.

Holy, SAM WINS SEASON 5! Redemption. Sam's the man! I knew he could do it right from the start of Season 1.
Well he had the head game right but not catching any fish, only killing a couple mice and a few leaches...that doesn't show too much survival skill I don't think. He had the most body fat on him when it started. If it wasn't for that he would have been out due to the not enough food. Still give him props for sticking it out 60 days with his head in the game. I thought by the last episode the last two guys were gonna go on for awhile. I thought Britt also had his head in the game but guess he those multiple days in a row staying in his tent curled up did him in.

Well he had the head game right but not catching any fish, only killing a couple mice and a few leaches...that doesn't show too much survival skill I don't think. He had the most body fat on him when it started. If it wasn't for that he would have been out due to the not enough food. Still give him props for sticking it out 60 days with his head in the game. I thought by the last episode the last two guys were gonna go on for awhile. I thought Britt also had his head in the game but guess he those multiple days in a row staying in his tent curled up did him in.
My thoughts exactly.

I am surprised Sam won. He had the worst shelter and his attempts at feeding himself were not good. A home made gill net to put into a raging river??? The dude with the long braids really had it together until his heart took over and he crashed. Then there was Dave who cried every time he killed something to feed himself. I agree with previous posts, they don't seem to explore very far from their drop off point. I was wondering about that yellow truck. Given they are in a valley the noise from the truck would travel quite a distance without the contestants hearing it? Not my favourite season.

kinda liked the show in general..ex military (Army)and have done numerous survival courses in : Northern Scotland , both Tundra and Boreal Canada , Brunia , Norway , Belize and Botswana.question is : Is it survival or just existing on the land ?

1 st enemy is mindset:whether it is ego or insecurity..many of the contestants claim to be wilderness instructors etc.. However, I doubt most had spent more than several nights under makeshift shelter, no matter what series they were in.. again your head is in a different space when you know warmth /shelter /food is going to be available very soon.

So then you are parachuted into a situation that you simply have to figure out the basics... then longer term ( this is now your home) all this when you can "TapOut" different game if no Tap out available or you become mobile..

I suspect many of the contestants were simply chosen, or are set up to crash and burn, more or less scripted.
No matter what is available and is accessible day to day , if your head is not there you will identify those resources.

short form story ,

our team sent on a 10 day survival course on what was a barren uninhabited heather gorse and broom covered island .. previous 3 days was more or less camp based with classroom instruction : the usual , gull egg omelette +/- worm etc.. no streams , no trees .. rabbits galore .. constant wind from the NNW cut right through you , temps 10 C or lower to below freezing with mist and rain .. ocean shore was pretty well inaccessible due to the cliffs, this was the pre gortex etc. days wool more wool ..

several people die in that situation yearly in Scotland, simply wet cold and hungry ( hypothermia) then they make bad decisions.

back to the survival-ish course , forgot to mention that there was probably a hundred or more sheep and wild goat.. that our squad include myself and another that were butchers in civvie life , that and we were raised snaring rabbits , personally never gathered eggs, but many did.

live off of the land was in the Orders of the Day,
no one said do not eat the sheep or goat, Goats were to wily to catch , sheep are stupid .. I put weight on during that exercise, but it cost me the market value on the sheep we killed, I think the markets must have been really good that day, but no 252, this time.

The best part of the show for me is the creativity in the builds, When it turns into a starve fest or people just sitting around all day conserving calories the show sucks. Glad Sam won it seems like his family could really use the money. I am glad Dave quit, I didn't feel like watching him starve again.

There was lots of fish to be had even when the bite turns off, Wish some would of spent more time on lures and bait. easy to sit back and judge tho

However after watching some of the fan episodes for Naked and Afraid, Some people on their pointed out just how much little energy you have when you start to starve. To the point where when you stand up you get a head rush and almost pass out

I wonder how many hours of footage they go through to make up one season. This last episode had the last 20 days in it so I guess once Sam had his poop there wasn't much to see. I expected more than 60 days from returning contestants.

Back