Trimax Crap

sir-vivor

Today I found out my Trimax was a piece of crap. I put it on my Yami 9.9 to protect it from theft.. Hell it only took me 3 min or less to brake it off with the screw driver in front of it. The lock seized so I thought gees now I'm going to have to cut it off. NOP, 3 min with the screw driver and it was off
(Once again I tried to post the pic of the Trimax but couldn't, even did a screenshot like someone suggested and still said file was to large grrr)

Today I found out my Trimax was a piece of crap. I put it on my Yami 9.9 to protect it from theft.. Hell it only took me 3 min or less to brake it off with the screw driver in front of it. The lock seized so I thought gees now I'm going to have to cut it off. NOP, 3 min with the screw driver and it was off
(Once again I tried to post the pic of the Trimax but couldn't, even did a screenshot like someone suggested and still said file was to large grrr)
outboard-motor-lock-tbl610.jpg

That's it exactly and all I used was a flat head 10 inch screw driver and pealed back the end and it came off in less than 3 min, very disappointed in thinking it was being protected...

I know a few things about locks (my main hobby.) A few months ago, I was roundly criticized in a FB fishing group in regards to these types of locks (not just Trimax) and how insecure they were - not only to prying attacks with screw driver such as the above, but also subject to easier and faster attacks on the steel body itself. Not to mention the lock itself is easy - which is quieter to bypass and only takes seconds.

There are plenty of, off the shelf and home brewed similar designed channel or tube style locks that slip over the outboard tightening tabs - but they either suffer from poor design, such as thin walled material or cheap locks. The problems with these locks - and many trailer locks is that they are akin to security theater. If anyone wondering what this means: Security theater is the practice of investing in countermeasures intended to provide the feeling of improved security while doing little or nothing to achieve it

To date, I have not seen any outboard lock that I feel is even close to safe to protecting my portable outboards. Instead I use a high security chain and a non-Master Lock padlock that secures the outboard to the boat and trailer. Is it 100% theft proof? No - but I have mentioned here previously, security is a multi layer process and this is only one layer of protection in this process.

Well a year ago I was sitting in my living room which looks down on the stern of my boat,, I thought that was the most secure way possible but nop, a guy actually crawled into my boat and the yard light came on so I went out to meet him, he took nothing and when the police showed up (I called them), they were going to charge me with prohibiting him from walking away,, almost like kidnapping WTF! Next time it's a wack with my rubber hose filled with sand and no calls lol

As someone who has owns a valuable bicycle in a high crime area those TriMax would be funny if they weren't so flimsy.

If 5% of the research that goes into bicycle locks was spent on outboard locks there might be a chance of stopping thieves.

That being said 'security theatre' is part of the bicycle lock business too as a quick look at youtube videos shows most can be broken with minimal effort.

Had that same ****** lock and I too used a screwdriver when I lost the key. Now I just weld the nuts to the bolts. Can do yours if you like no charge. I'm in Langley though. But for posting photos i use an app called snapseed. Use it to resize pics and they post no problem.

Last edited:
I thought pad locks were secure, then a coworker showed me how to break one off a reefer trailer in like 2 seconds with a wrench and a lever,

the trimax lock has kept the crack heads away, and I siliconed all the bolts so they would have to cut the silicone then screw off the mount from the boat.

To much work for most thiefs, To many other boats and things to steal that are not locked in the area.

I have 3 locks on my kicker. Through the transom lock, chain and pad lock and this in the kicker. I had one of those bar locks before, useless POS that rusts out. Check out this one below, I like it.

https://www.sailorssolutions.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=lock01

The Stanzo locks are fairly decent. They use an Abus Plus Core disk cylinder (not sure which generation) which are very secure against any picking attacks. There is a couple of weak points in the design of the lock body itself, but nothing I would lose sleep over.

Whatever you do, don't lose the key code card. If you ever lose your keys and the key card, you will never be able to have new keys cut.

I just moved a chair from the kitchen and sat my wife in it beside the kicker, that should do it lol

Back