2018 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Heading out too moutcha 21-26th. First time up there hoping too get my boy his first salmon and throw some traps out. Lots of great info on here guys! just wondering if you think the crab/prawns will be pretty fished out by this time? any help with this would be appreciated. cheers

Personally I rarely have caught any prawns in the Summer up there. Not sure about crabs, but, there are a lot of Otters up there so I suspect crabbing is average.

To JPHELI it isnt worth bringing your prawn traps this year. we normally bring them out and get at least enough for dinner each day in the 100-300 range. this year we were getting 4-10 prawns total. some days nothing at all. this is the first year in 12 years i have been doing summer trips where we couldnt find enough for a meal. i would not suggest bringing your prawn traps. As for crab traps, i think there is some decent crabbing right by moucha bay, if you ask around there they will point you in the right direction. hope you guys do find a few nice Salmon, good luck!

To JPHELI it isnt worth bringing your prawn traps this year. we normally bring them out and get at least enough for dinner each day in the 100-300 range. this year we were getting 4-10 prawns total. some days nothing at all. this is the first year in 12 years i have been doing summer trips where we couldnt find enough for a meal. i would not suggest bringing your prawn traps. As for crab traps, i think there is some decent crabbing right by moucha bay, if you ask around there they will point you in the right direction. hope you guys do find a few nice Salmon, good luck!
Thanks for the reply! oh well we aren't looking for a boat load anyways. even if we only caught a couple for the BBQ one night that would be good enough for us. just want too show my little guy what its all about out there! thanks again

Good trip this year for us. was in from 10-14th Aug.
-Top producing lure was 6 foot leader running any teaser head with anchovy. second would be a skinny G spoon.
-Good locations for us was Beano creek in the am, then camel rock for the afternoon. although San Carlos point did give up are biggest fish (28lb)
-For deeps best luck was 60 feet range(+10,-10).

Anyone heading up there next weekend? Planning on salmon Thursday tuna Friday Saturday if wind dies off
Anyone else heading out tuna fishing

Just got back from a lodge trip to Newton Cove for 2 1/2 days - my first trip into the area. Fished outside for most of the trip. Fishing was on fire. Lots of Springs in the high teens to mid 20's for us and a couple of 30's came into the lodge while we were there. Had our daily limit on Springs within a few hours each day. We struggled a bit to find Coho but certainly some nice size to them - most in the 8 - 12 pound range.
We caught most fish on spoons with an Andrew P green/gold needlefish spoon outfishing everything else. Cop car spoons, anchovies , and brown turds also working well. Great bottom fishing too.

Just got back from a lodge trip to Newton Cove for 2 1/2 days - my first trip into the area. Fished outside for most of the trip. Fishing was on fire. Lots of Springs in the high teens to mid 20's for us and a couple of 30's came into the lodge while we were there. Had our daily limit on Springs within a few hours each day. We struggled a bit to find Coho but certainly some nice size to them - most in the 8 - 12 pound range.
We caught most fish on spoons with an Andrew P green/gold needlefish spoon outfishing everything else. Cop car spoons, anchovies , and brown turds also working well. Great bottom fishing too.
Glad to hear your 1st experience up there was a good one...Tell me this Mr 5 Star Accommodation (lol) how did you manage to crawl out of those big soft fluffy beds to go fishing ? Went there for fuel the other day and had a look around....super nice place !! Up again next week...Look forward to more big springs and yoyo's !!!

Yes, a pretty deluxe resort. I had bought the trip at a live auction at the Sidney derby. One of the few Canadians staying at the resort. Staff, boats, and guides all top notch. Got this epic
sounder shot of salmon feeding on a bait ball shot from our guide boat.

20180815_152930.jpg

Up to Kyouqot the other day. Limited out on chromer feeder Springs and Coho. One 16# Northern in the mix.
Wash Rock this am after a cancellation. Couple of decent Coho and some 'trouble' with a few others...

Back