I tried sockeye off sooke Tuesday evening from 4:30 - 5:30 and didn't get a bite. Few boats out there and not one net out.. perhaps better odds if I had stayed out later, fished deeper etc...?

If the tide is flooding they should bite but just like early morning as you get close to evening darkness fish come up closer to the surface.

Picked up 3 Sockeye trolling way off Aldridge in 470' of water, one at 50', 2 at 80'.
Pink squirt going so slowly my GPS was telling me I was actually trolling backwards.
All the action was at 8:30.
The ramp was a gong show at 5:30.

Fished 6:30-11. Double header of Sockeye right away and then it slowed down. Ended up going 5/8 and I didn't have a hit after 9am.

Well guys, the lines were in the water at 6:30am for the sockeye in 450’ of water. Once again they were very uncooperative. And for that I am very grateful because after only 3 hits and one in the boat after nearly 4 hours we came in to Possession/Harbour Mouth around 10:30am. We switched to anchovy one side and a little 4” herring the other as usual. On the second pass, on the turn, we had one of the biggest hits I have ever seen. The rod bowed, sprang back and then bent over again. This was on the herring side.

Had a great fight and a huge tug of war near the net but my wife managed to make the scoop on the second try and we hauled an incredible 27lb fish into the boat. A personal best for me and my first one over 20 for three years. :cool: (A few 19lb’ders but could not get that 20!) We stayed in the area for another 2.5 hours but did not get another hit.

Back at the ranch and the filleting table he (he was a he) turned out to be a white. Who would have thought another bad day for sockeye could turn out so well!!:)
I attach a pic.
27lbChinook.jpg

Well guys, the lines were in the water at 6:30am for the sockeye in 450’ of water. Once again they were very uncooperative. And for that I am very grateful because after only 3 hits and one in the boat after nearly 4 hours we came in to Possession/Harbour Mouth around 10:30am. We switched to anchovy one side and a little 4” herring the other as usual. On the second pass, on the turn, we had one of the biggest hits I have ever seen. The rod bowed, sprang back and then bent over again. This was on the herring side.

Had a great fight and a huge tug of war near the net but my wife managed to make the scoop on the second try and we hauled an incredible 27lb fish into the boat. A personal best for me and my first one over 20 for three years. :cool: (A few 19lb’ders but could not get that 20!) We stayed in the area for another 2.5 hours but did not get another hit.

Back at the ranch and the filleting table he (he was a he) turned out to be a white. Who would have thought another bad day for sockeye could turn out so well!!:)
I attach a pic.
View attachment 39659
Congrats!
Beauty smiley!

Way to go Englishman!! That whitey is gonna be tasty.You've come a long way since your first posts on this site.Next step is the elusive Tyee which I'm sure will come your way soon enough.Congrats again Roland.

I attach a pic.
View attachment 39659

Very nice fish there Englishman....Very Nice.

Way to go Englishman!! That whitey is gonna be tasty.You've come a long way since your first posts on this site.Next step is the elusive Tyee which I'm sure will come your way soon enough.Congrats again Roland.
Thx very much "fshn". A tyee one day maybe but not for a quite while yet. I am still getting used to having boated this one!;)

Yeah...You’ll be dining out on that one for quite a while in more ways than one!

Nicely done both you and your wife, Englishman! Congrats! These days a 27lbs spring is as rare as a 40lbs 20 years ago was!

Out the last few days for sockeye and had some success but didn't get into a welled defined 'bite'. Picked up fish throughout the morning prior to ~10am in depths 25' to 120'. Using small hoochies and lots of flash. I found less fish today and most were in closer rather than 3rd tide line (weak tidelines and not well defined).

Back