Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at running across from VI either tomorrow or the middle of next week. I've Located T10 on the chart.....is this the same area that is referred to as "Sandheads" ? I'll be running across through Porlier and am looking to minimize my run and maximize my time with gear down. I might get lucky and find some on the run across but most likely will run all the way over.

Thanks for any help,
Brian
Head towards Steveston and look for the boats, can't miss it. Should be about 200 by then. ;)

I'm all blue today. Went 1 for 8. These things thrash like I've never seen. Caught everything on the 20' rods so they literally just flew out of water as soon as they hit. Can't blame location today.

I'm looking forward to getting out tomorrow. Sandheads it is....at least to start. Does the volume of water pushing out of the Fraser make for a lot of tangles? I've fished Sockeye in Alberni and had no problem running a total of 4 rods and 4 dummies. I couldn't imagine doing that across the mouth of Porlier or at Thrasher where the currents tend to be much stronger. I'm just curious if it turns into amateur hour pretty quickly.

Good idea to start at sandheads. Hope the weather is good for you. Yes, the tides at sandheads can and do get hairy and it does turn into amateur hour every day at sandheads when the tide starts pushing. The best thing to do to avoid tangles is to make sure your gear is set up correctly. Many have posted diagrams on this thread on how to do that. Spacing of your gear (dummies/top and bottom rods) is key. Use heavy cannonballs if you have them. I use 20's at all times now and still feel the tide at sandheads pretty good. If you find yourself frustrated with tangles / tide just move out to deeper water or north from the mouth as there will be less flow to deal with and hopefully your gear will run better. There are lots of sockeye around and they aren't all hanging out close to the red and green cans off sandheads so go find em elsewhere :) Good luck out there!

I'm looking forward to getting out tomorrow. Sandheads it is....at least to start. Does the volume of water pushing out of the Fraser make for a lot of tangles? I've fished Sockeye in Alberni and had no problem running a total of 4 rods and 4 dummies. I couldn't imagine doing that across the mouth of Porlier or at Thrasher where the currents tend to be much stronger. I'm just curious if it turns into amateur hour pretty quickly.

Good idea to start at sandheads. Hope the weather is good for you. Yes, the tides at sandheads can and do get hairy and it does turn into amateur hour every day at sandheads when the tide starts pushing. The best thing to do to avoid tangles is to make sure your gear is set up correctly. Many have posted diagrams on this thread on how to do that. Spacing of your gear (dummies/top and bottom rods) is key. Use heavy cannonballs if you have them. I use 20's at all times now and still feel the tide at sandheads pretty good. If you find yourself frustrated with tangles / tide just move out to deeper water or north from the mouth as there will be less flow to deal with and hopefully your gear will run better. There are lots of sockeye around and they aren't all hanging out close to the red and green cans off sandheads so go find em elsewhere :) Good luck out there!
thanks tincan. fingers crossed

Tides are not running too hard for the next few days so you should be ok if you're careful. Refer back in this thread to recommended distances behind the boat and in between dummy flashers to help avoid tangles. Don't go too slow and don't turn too sharply and you should be ok. Tight lines!

Thanks guys, I checked out the tide swings and they don't look too bad. I'm pretty comfortable with the setup. I do it a little different than some of the previous posts but I regularly stack and have run dummies before. Just curious about the currents out there. Thanks for the tips and good luck everyone. I'll post a report tomorrow night.

Brian

Limited out last night at Sand Heads: 6 sox and 2 springs.

Re stoppers moving on rigger line: just go to the dollar store and buy some crazy glue. Works like a charm on the braided line with no issues whatsoever. You only need two stoppers on either side of where you want the clip. You can work the stops off later if you want.

I'm all blue today. Went 1 for 8. These things thrash like I've never seen. Caught everything on the 20' rods so they literally just flew out of water as soon as they hit. Can't blame location today.

We've found that a lot of the time with the sockeye you just need to crank them in once they break the surface. Get their head up and give them the old bass fishing technique unless they really turn and fight.

Anyone been out targeting springs? In the derby this weekend and hard to get a read on how spring numbers have been, briefly rolled some cutplugs last weekend after pulling soc gear and had a single teener off Iona . Anyone else fishing the derby? We are team " Moody Hooker " 330 Grady Express

I am in derby. Only out once so far. Got 3 springs on sockeye gear. We are in a 21 trophy. Black wrap. Good luck see you there.

Last edited:
Hi Adanac,
We’re in the derby as well. This is our first year participating and we’re stoked to get out there this weekend :). All these sox have really distracted everyone from Chinook including us so it’ll be interesting to see what happens. Still working on a team name but my boat is a 24’ Robalo walkaround w/ dark blue hull & twin outboards. Radio handle is Saratoga. We’ll be moored at Dockside marina for the tournament.
Good luck out there!

Anyone been out targeting springs? In the derby this weekend and hard to get a read on how spring numbers have been, briefly rolled some cutplugs last weekend after pulling soc gear and had a single teener off Iona . Anyone else fishing the derby? We are team " Moody Hooker " 330 Grady Express

Spring fishing has been good too. More springs than soc for my boat, maybe I can't get the troll slow enough on certain tacks.. Soc gear and chovies neck and neck for success on springs lol. Some good size too. Fishing from the can north 30-60

We've found that a lot of the time with the sockeye you just need to crank them in once they break the surface. Get their head up and give them the old bass fishing technique unless they really turn and fight.
Good advice, running heavy tackle means you can horse them in amd net them as soon as they're close. I run 4/0 siwash hook and they definitely help

Spring fishing has been good too. More springs than soc for my boat, maybe I can't get the troll slow enough on certain tacks..
I had a similar issue with my first boat for the 2010 sock run. It was a 17' Canaventure, light as a feather with a 120hp I/O motor in it. With no kicker, I jerry rigged up some home depot buckets with some holes in the bottom and dragged them off the side cleats. Worked like a charm but looked a little funny, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back